SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kamala Harris might lose Judiciary Committee seat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kamala Harris might lose Judiciary Committee seat Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
a little piece of good news...

https://www.powerlineblog.com/...y-committee-seat.php

Posted on November 26, 2018 by Paul Mirengoff

Democrat losses in the 2018 election have placed Sen. Kamala Harris’ spot on the Senate Judiciary Committee in jeopardy. Absent some sort of fix, the Democrats will lose one slot on the Committee, and Harris, as the least senior Dem, will be the one to go. (“Spartacus” is next in line, but his slot is safe).

Losing her seat would deny Harris, who almost certainly will run for president beginning next year, many a grandstanding opportunity. As the Washington Post observes, the Committee’s business will likely include a confirmation fight over a new Attorney General and various Mueller-related hearings. Harris’ urge to participate will be irresistible, and she has already let it be known that she wants to remain on the Committee.

The left-wing Democratic base supports her. Brian Fallon, who runs a lefty advocacy group at the forefront of opposing President Trump’s judicial nominees (a futile operation, so far) sniffs that it would “unconscionable” to remove the only African-American female from the Committee. The backlash to that outcome would be “intense,” Fallon warns.

This is the kind of identity politics Democrats seek to inflict on America. The backlash will probably be intense, eventually.

Might Harris keep her seat? It could happen. One possibility would be to expand Committee membership. But this seems unlikely because Majority Leader McConnell would have to agree. Why would he do Harris and her progressive backers a favor, thereby rewarding her behavior during the Kavanaugh hearings?

There are already 21 spots on the Committee, which is probably too many. And McConnell can satisfy Republican members who aspire to the assignment by filling the seats vacated by Sens. Hatch and Flake.

The other, more realistic possibility is manipulation by Democrats. They might agree to greater deficits in memberships on other committees in exchange for keeping the current number of members on Judiciary. Or maybe a current Judiciary Committee member could be persuaded to replace a defeated Democrat on some other committee, for example Finance, from which Sens. Nelson and McCaskill will soon depart.

My view is that Harris won’t suffer if she moves on from the Judiciary Committee. She is already the darling of the left. Whether she parlays that status into the presidential nomination will depend on her performance during the campaign, not on additional grandstanding opportunities in Senate hearings.

In fact, the lack of such opportunities might help her if she obtains the Democratic nomination. Voters outside of her base may find her Committee performances off-putting. She will have more control of how she comes across to the electorate if she’s not part of a high-profile committee on which she is expected to carry water for the left by slandering good people.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
If Corey an Kamela mated they would bore perfect progressives!
Don't worry, Corey don't go that way...
These 2 are the biggest media whore in all of Government.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8378 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no way she loses that seat

she should - but she won't

there are no R's up there with the stones to remove her from that seat

which is sad

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

which is sad

----------------------------------

Republicans have no say in the matter. They can't remove her from the committee. Committee assignments are done by each caucus. It is solely up to the Dems to decide who will lose a seat on the committee. The only thing the Republicans can do to help out is actually enlarge the committee, but there is zero chance they will do that. the committee is already too large, given that it includes over 20% of the entire senate.

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Committee assignments are made solely by each party so even if there was reduction in the total number, it's up to each party to determine who sits there.

While tradition says that Kamala wouldn't have a seat as the most junior Dem on the committee, a Dem with more seniority could give up their seat and she would stay.

That's a prestigious committee and I doubt anyone would give up such a speaking platform however the Repubs have no ability to remove her. They can make an opening move but the Dems have the last one.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Query: How exactly does it benefit the Dems nationally, in DC or in the Senate to "protect" Kamala Harris' seat on the Senate Judiciary Committee?

I can see the Dems banging the "only black female" drum in an effort to bully the Senate Republicans into letting her stay. f the Repubs don't let her stay, I can see the Senate Dems having boxed themselves in so that they'll look real bad if some other Dem doesn't sacrifice their seat so that she can stay on the Committee.

But other than that, and the extra vote/shit talking, what exactly does having Kamala Harris on the Judiciary Committee do for the Dems?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Committee assignments equate to exposure and influence, two things Harris badly needs to continue her ascension within the Democratic Party. Her firebrand style just isn't worth much when all she has is her one vote. She's a rising star, for the Left, the female Obama if there is such a thing, so protecting her status and influence is mega important to the Dems.

It's some clever maneuvering and leveraging by the Republicans, actually. They don't actually expect her to go anywhere, but they can and will leverage the Left so that it costs them for her to stay. It's a perfectly executed Bridge Troll Tax and we're the trolls this time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I guess I can see that, but by that point in O's career the other Dems were already talking about running him for President. At the same time, a bunch of the old bulls (including Hill) were kinda put out that O didn't "wait his turn", so I'm thinking maybe there won't be that much of a groundswell of support for her to make a White House run just yet. She just doesn't seem to have set a whole lot of people on fire.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
She is an asshole of the first order and Trump better have a counter-play for her presidential bid in his play book.

Any event that enervates her is a good thing. Removal from the judiciary committe, is a nice start.

Posts: 3157 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
She just doesn't seem to have set a whole lot of people on fire.

Yet.

They'll get in line very quickly as soon as she announces and makes any kind of serious run.

And I agree, Trump's team better have a way to get at her, strongly and quickly, because she's a dangerous woman. Very smart, very polished, black, and not unattractive. The useful idiots will love her.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
They'll get in line very quickly as soon as she announces and makes any kind of serious run.

And I agree, Trump's team better have a way to get at her, strongly and quickly, because she's a dangerous woman. Very smart, very polished, black, and not unattractive. The useful idiots will love her.

Only box she has to check is the gay one.

Posts: 13139 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Actually 1/2 Tamil Indian, 1/2 Jamaican

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I can't remember where I read it, but there are rumors that there is a LOT of dirt on her from her time as Willie Brown's fookbuddy, rumors of video tapes of her at swingers parties and such. Rest assured, if she runs and Hildabeast runs and wants to shut Harris down real fast, some bad dirt on her is gonna come out, and it will be too salacious for the press to ignore. It may not help Hildabeast win, but it will be fatal to Harris's ambitions. I really hope Harris and Hildabeast both run. It will be great entertainment to watch them try to out-lib each other and sabotage each other's campaigns. I would even register Dem in AZ to vote for the weaker one in the primary.

Posts: 3548 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were long past the time when finding dirt on a Democrat mattered. No amount of sexual deviancy, corruption or criminal behavior will dissuade the Democrat voters of today. I don't know how she could be shut down but hoping someone finds incriminating evidence ain't gonna be it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3544 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It will be fun watching the Leftist Presidential primary when they slaughter themselves with their ambitions of power while Trump and the rest of us watch, taking notes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ The funniest part is going to be finding out what they don't dare say or how they don't dare say it. The Republicans don't seem to need to care all that much, and I swear the rules of PC campaigning change with every breeze.

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
No amount of sexual deviancy, corruption or criminal behavior will dissuade the Democrat voters of today.

No, but as the head of the California Democratic Party found out recently, sexual harassment or abuse will still put a Dem on the sidelines. I don't know that there are any such skeletons in Harris' closet, but why not wait and see what stories emerge?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There is almost/maybe no such thing as "sexual deviancy" amongst consenting adults. Let's be absolutely clear about that right now. It's purely subjective, and damn near entirely irrelevant with respect to politics and politicians and people in their own homes and such.

And that some Republicans remain all twisted up about such things will continue to be a problem for the Right. There won't always be a Trump to help us defeat the next Hillary, and we barely (literally, technically, barely...) won this past time. We got lucky, very lucky.

Some of y'all had better prioritize and decide what's really important, lest you'd rather be ruled by the Left. Social Conservatism, especially of that sort, is all but dead. Finally. Perhaps sometime soon we can redirect all that energy into actually important things...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I can't remember where I read it, but there are rumors that there is a LOT of dirt on her from her time as Willie Brown's fookbuddy, rumors of video tapes of her at swingers parties and such. Rest assured, if she runs and Hildabeast runs and wants to shut Harris down real fast, some bad dirt on her is gonna come out, and it will be too salacious for the press to ignore. It may not help Hildabeast win, but it will be fatal to Harris's ambitions. I really hope Harris and Hildabeast both run. It will be great entertainment to watch them try to out-lib each other and sabotage each other's campaigns. I would even register Dem in AZ to vote for the weaker one in the primary.

Reminds me of 2008. I know a lot of people who did exactly that - registered DEM and voted for whom they thought was the weaker candidate. He became our next President. (sort of Frown)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Gosh, y'know, I just can't get enough of this defeatist crap. We're whipped before the race is run. I just can't get enough of that kind of talk and attitude. Spew some more of that shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107680 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
The Willie Brown thing was more than a rumor and he did a good job of mentoring her political career.

Now, what’s worse for a girl trying to get ahead? Whoring yourself out to Willie Brown or Harvey Weinstein?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post