SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Young professionals advice for moving to Columbia, SC
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Young professionals advice for moving to Columbia, SC Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Gossip deleted. It’s just ugliness and no one’s business other than his.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Report This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
The year that this occurred might be relevant here... Wink

To be fair, he has a lot of years to choose from.

Agreed, but it's the south, so it's not necessarily an issue exclusive or limited to Columbia, SC either... Wink

Dumbass post.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Columbia, but lived 1971-1975 in Sumter, down the highway (about an hour). I enjoyed those years, and the weather there was quite nice.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have no experience with Columbia, but lived 1971-1975 in Sumter, down the highway (about an hour). I enjoyed those years, and the weather there was quite nice.

flashguy

Flashguy I sincerely appreciate you bringing the thread back on topic, and off outdated southern stereotypes and southern democrat politics.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

I would bet money Vtail ate at a Maurice's BBQ and it was 20 plus years ago.
Your timing is in the ballpark, and Maurice's sounds sort of familiar -- is it a "down home" un-fancy place, maybe ten minutes or so from the airport?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Original post included for context:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Last time I was there, I re-fueled and then borrowed the "crew car" (an ancient battered pick-up) to go to a nearby restaurant to grab a quick bite. It was a mom-and-pop restaurant, typical local southern place, nothing fancy. I ate, and on the way out I noticed a small table near the door with stacks of local flyers, brochures, etc. One of the pamphlets had a schedule for meetings and activities of the local Klan group.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

To be fair, he has a lot of years to choose from.

Agreed, but it's the south, so it's not necessarily an issue exclusive or limited to Columbia, SC either... Wink

Dumbass post.

WHY? The WHOLE point of my original post was that V-Tail indicated that the last time he was in Columbia, SC they had an active KKK Chapter, publishing pamphlets about their meeting schedule and activities...Without mentioning when that occurred. As the KKK isn't event a thing anymore, it would seem relevant to know when that occurred, rather than painting Columbia, SC as having an active KKK Chapter to someone considering moving there and looking for info.

Do you deny that the KKK originated in 'the south', and was primarily active in 'the south'? Certainly they are no longer relevant! You'd think these would be dumbass questions, but you seemed to have missed the point!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8893 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Folks in the South know how to live together. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but we live side by side with people of all races with little or no trouble. That has not been my experience up North. YMMV.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Chicago is the most segregated city in the United States.
Very little activity for BLM and the like in my area in the South. Generally good relations with the cops and get along with one another.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

I would bet money Vtail ate at a Maurice's BBQ and it was 20 plus years ago.
Your timing is in the ballpark, and Maurice's sounds sort of familiar -- is it a "down home" un-fancy place, maybe ten minutes or so from the airport?

Owens Field? I guess there are a handful of locations within a short drive of either airport. Main one would be in West Columbia and it has a huge electric/neon marquee out front, but a very down home basic type of building/interior. Maurice Bessinger was a known white supremacist and that was the kind of nutty stuff he'd have near the front door in the past - pro slavery pamphlets and the like.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I ain't white but I definitely feel less threatened by the KKK than I by BLM/antifa.

People stereotype southerners as old racists. I'm sure there are racists in the south, there are racists everywhere. But I'd rather deal with a racist than a violent racist who believes they're not racist.

Black family by current day Klan territory, if it even exists, sure as hell would be safer than a white family in the 'hood.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Locked at the OP's request

I'll add that it's rude to derail Chuck's thread with talk about a group that is all but nonexistent in the South these days. I have lived in the South my entire life and I am as likely to run into a KKK member as I am a Martian. This is 2023, not 1923.

And even if the Klan still thrived, it would be a subject which has no place in a thread such as this. Tell us where you live and I assure you we can find an insulting and old stereotype for you.

Members need at all times to be considerate of their fellow members, and think and consider what they are saying before they post it.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post