SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heavy duty truck tire recommendation: see my last post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy duty truck tire recommendation: see my last post Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Several years ago I had a set of M700's on a Suburban. They turned out to be a great tire. I got wonderful wear from.
Fast forward maybe 8-10 years. Now that I have the Dodge Turbo diesel 4wd I need a very heavy duty tire.

Seems like I can still get the tire for about $1200 for a set in an LT265 R70 17.

I am wondering if the current iteration of this tire is the same as it was. So many tires have gone to the soft rubber compounds that the tires will not wear well at all.

Give me some thoughts.

I will not buy michelins

Thanks guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally I've gone to the "pay half as much (kinda) twice as often" approach so my truck generally always has new tires on it. I used to run Yokohama's on my truck (had great luck with them) but opted for a set of lesser known tires this time around, and I actually like them every bit as much and they cost me around $400+ less for the set. Personally, I think a lot of the big name brands (Michelin and Goodyear to name a couple) have slipped quite a bit and are running more on brand recognition and advertising than superior products.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about that specific tire, but they can change over time. I had some relatively hard rubber, long wearing Hankooks a while back. That long wearing is often looked at favorably. The problem is, if they get a little off with the wear, hard to get them back.

How much Winter traction do you need? Location? 4wd or mostly pavement? You can look over reviews at tirerack.

Whatever you get, maybe have a ‘plug kit’ handy when that newer $275 tire picks up a screw.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
All tires have a tread wear rating on them and like the estimated MPG rating on your Monroney Label, it is not an absolute number but more of a relative number. Compare this number on your favorite website to what you have on your tires now to see if there is any difference.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6322 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Do your reasearch!!!!! Some of the lesser known brand names are actually made by the "Big Boy Companies" but use a lesser known branding...... Just like some wal-mart items branded as " Great Value" that are made by the Big boy companies. Just indifferent packaging......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, I am open to other tires. Give some suggestion on tires for my heavy 4wd Dodge turbo diesel. Mostly highway and gravel road driving. Need snow and ice traction to a degree but not at the expense of tread wear the rest of the year. Suggest away.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've run Hankook for over 20 years and finally gave up on them. The last set of M/Ts on my Jeep wore terrible. I was in the tire business but am out 2 1/2 years and was looking for recommendations. Called a dealer friend and he recommended Nitto. They make several models and I went with the hybrid, Ridge Grappler. They're being installed tomorrow.

I looked at the Terra Grappler in your size, actually comes with a milage warranty, give you an idea of what to expect.

In my looking I was told by a few dealers that tire shortages are coming, some had no tires available in the size I needed, 315/70R-17 10 ply. Discount Tire found a set in Texas and brought them to Utah.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I’m on my fifth set on my F350. I got between 25,000 and 35,000 miles on the other four and wouldn’t recommend any of them. The OEM Michelin A/T2s were chunking (losing 1/2”+ pieces of the tread) badly on gravel roads.

I had a set of Toyo highway tread tires that were the worst tires I’ve had on any vehicle.

I had a set of Goodyear Wranglers w/Kevlar before and after the Toyos that weren’t bad. Good traction, they didn’t chunk, handled great towing or not, but I got 25,000 and 30,000 miles out of them when they have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty. On the other hand, in a 275/70r18, they were $175 a piece.

My current tires are Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs. Cooper says they are specifically made for the 3/4 and 1 ton diesels. They were $285 each, I only have 3,000 miles on them, and so far so good. I don’t think they make it in the size you are looking for.

All of my tires wore evenly, were rotated and inflated properly. I’ve read a ton of reviews and you’ll find people with trucks like ours saying they got 80,000 - 120,000 miles out of these tires. You’ll also find people with the same experiences as me. There’ll be a lot of reviews from people putting them on 4,000-5,000 pound vehicles with half the torque we have. That’s really an apples oranges thing. About 35% of my miles were spent towing between 9,000 and 14,500 pounds. Half of the 35% would be the 5th wheel toy hauler which is a 13’ tall, 8’ wide, brick.

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
On my '99 2500 and '03 DRW I had the Nokian vatiiva AT tires. They were "E" 10 ply. Adding some weight in the bed, I had no problem driving in 2wd on Wisconsin roads in the winter months. I also pulled a race trailer across the country with no problems. I am currently running the next generation of Nokian Rotiiva AT tires on my 4Runner and very impressed with the performance. The Rotiiva AT Plus 10 ply tire seems just as reliable as its earlier version I ran.

My second choice would be the Firestone Transforce AT2. The rubber compound on this tire is a little harder, so it will have longer tread life. However, that does lower the wet traction capabilities.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
This guy out of Blacksburg, VA has some nice tire reviews that may interest you.

Here’s one …

https://youtu.be/W1Wqxxt3u-o

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Give me some thoughts.

I will not buy michelins

My thought is, you just crossed off one of the best tires out there...

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I’ll agree with UTsig on the Nitto tires.
I have them on my cummins ram and they’re great tires
One of my friends is at 50k on his ridge grapplers and they’re still pretty good

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Give me some thoughts.

I will not buy michelins

My thought is, you just crossed off one of the best tires out there...

How many miles are your getting out of a set of Michelins on you 3/4 or 1 ton truck?
Have you had a problem with chunking on gravel roads?
Which model are you using?
How much towing are you doing?

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I've got Nitto's on my 1 ton and like them so far.

Prevously had Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor and did not like them. I think the sidewall on those were more flexible and it felt like there was more sway - not fun with a heavy load.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Which Nitto SBF?

I am looking at this tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...r=17&performance=ALL

I know it is an off road tire but does look like a very good tire and the price is very good too.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which Nitto SBF?

Nitto Terra Grappler G2.

Looks like they might be discontinued now though...

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

Not made in an LT265/70r17.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I saw that trapper89 had issues with Toyo, but I have run Toyo tires on all of my work trucks and have never had an issue.

Smaller trucks get the M55, and the larger trucks M920. Both of these are rated for mud/snow/ice. I just replaced two of the steer tires on my personal truck (M920s) at over 60,000, and the suspension on this truck doesn't treat the steers well.

I live in a rural area, so not counting the work related driving this truck also got a few miles on gravel every day.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I loved Nitto Terra Grappler on a 1/2 ton. LT had excellent ride and traction.

Currently enjoying Toyo Open Country LT tires on a 2500HD.

I prefer Japanese brands.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post