SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Kifaru owners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Kifaru owners? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I took the plunge and ordered an X-ray, I was hesitant about the price but have always lusted over Kifaru products and heard their customer service is second to none so I figured if it last a lifetime it’s definitely worth it.

Anyone have products or suggestions? I figure the X-ray would suffice as a EDC bag for work seeing as how I’ve torn through the boot camp supplied bag and two others since joining.

After testing it I may look at a larger pack for camping trips.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Kifaru packs. A multi day that is no longer in production and an Escape & Evade. I use the E & E the most. Very well designed packs and rugged too. Pricey but worth it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned about Kifaru several years ago. Colorado company who supports the shooting community! They've been sponsoring LR rifle matches for many years, all of Competition Dynamics matches.

Robert Smith the founder has been in the backpack business for along time.

Picked up a Xing (larger Xray) many years ago for LR matches and hiking.... Their customer service is outstanding. They suggested I bring in all my stuff into their shop. Went in with binos, shooting bags, a pistol.... Set up my pack to fit all that. I like the fact that I could get individual pouches to match what I'm putting in them. I've used this pack alot. All the stiching, zippers.... still rock solid. It's beefy where it needs to be. The suspension is very good with all the adjustments. They have good videos on how to adjust the suspension. I've hiked 20+ miles with 40lbs or more, rides well. A few buddies have had the Xray and other models longer then I've had the Xing.

Shooting a match today.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of their packs I use for hiking and camping. Since they build to your dimensions, they fit great. Very durable and well made. Other packs I’ve tried have been disappointing, including Eberlestock.

Posts: 427 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best domestic made backpack brands. Founder Patrick Smith, originally started Mountainsmith before selling it to start Kifaru to support his hunting interests. I know Mel who was their principal designer who started their tactical line of packs, he's since moved on and started his own brand Pocket Up! we meet up when I'm down near his place. https://www.youtube.com/channe...wsjHxo-n1q99w/videos

For smaller packs, I like Kifaru, particular the Zippy; for larger packs I like Mystery Ranch.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
I have two of their packs I use for hiking and camping. Since they build to your dimensions, they fit great. Very durable and well made. Other packs I’ve tried have been disappointing, including Eberlestock.

I have a Scout with two Dock and Lock pouches. It’s my favorite pack. Expensive, but worth the money. I had a Eberlestock, it failed on my very first outing. Piece of shit. I sent it back to them.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8801 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I may have the same setup as YooperSigs. I have the attachments that let me fasten the E&E to the back of the other pack. I used that combo on a 2 week trip to Ireland a few years ago.

Great stuff, rugged. A bit heavier (obviously) than typical REI-type backpacking gear.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post