SIGforum
Is your property surrounded by a moat?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2690088274

July 29, 2020, 08:27 PM
YooperSigs
Is your property surrounded by a moat?
I have a big lake. But I am not sure if I am allowed to go there anymore.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 29, 2020, 08:34 PM
SIGWALLY
I live in Florida, so yes on the alligator part.
July 29, 2020, 08:35 PM
hrcjon
I'm on an island with a bridge that I have the tools to remove. And there are now man eating sharks around the island. does that count?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
July 29, 2020, 08:47 PM
sig226fan
Well I have a sprinkler system for the lawn. And then there is a rather old cantankerous Australian cattle dog that has irritable bowel syndrome, so every time he barks he farts. I am pretty sure that is on par with the alligators.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.
July 29, 2020, 08:54 PM
cslinger
Live alligators are actually quite inexpensive if you are will to get them as babies so that only adds say a grand to my 80k number.

Course there is the feeding/maintenance.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
July 29, 2020, 08:57 PM
XinTX
Sorry, only armed dachshunds

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul
July 29, 2020, 10:41 PM
Orguss
I prefer to fill my moat with oil covered in a thin layer of dirt to hide it from intruders. They step forward thinking it's solid ground, then fall in. If they don't immediately sink and drown, I just fire off a flaming arrow into the moat and watch them burn.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
July 30, 2020, 12:08 AM
Southern Rebel
Well, kinda sorta....

My property is surrounded on all sides by the humble abodes of my redneck cousins and all of their in-bred pit bulls (which are sort of like "dry-land" versions of alligators that can't swim, but sure as hell can bite like angry gators!)

I am sure that all of the above would seek to defend me and my home=place if the need arrived, but the attempted rescue might be worse than the invaders! Nevertheless, I love them all because they are blood kin - even though the family tree does have a few gnarly, twisted limbs.
July 30, 2020, 01:24 AM
HERITAGE
When this is one of your toys as a kid:

, yeah, you devote some time into thinking about having a moat around your house!
July 30, 2020, 07:38 AM
henryaz

No moat, but 6ft no climb fencing surrounding the entire acreage. The fence cuts off the front door from access, so there is a remote doorbell button next to the fence gate. I just ordered a sign to be made to go above the doorbell button, says "Press here to release the hounds".

When in doubt, mumble
July 30, 2020, 07:43 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by HERITAGE:
When this is one of your toys as a kid:
, yeah, you devote some time into thinking about having a moat around your house!
Lol, had the same one! Fisher-Price was the best!
July 30, 2020, 07:51 AM
ShneaSIG
Yes. It has proven most effective at keeping the black knight at bay.

Yes, it has a drawbridge; it greatly improves ingress and egress.

No alligators or piranhas, however. Those sort of things ruin the moat's usefulness as a lazy river on hot days.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"
July 30, 2020, 08:43 AM
myrottiety
This one in Alpharetta is boss!

Alpharetta Castle House

I drive by this all the time when heading to my inlaws. It legit has a full moat with draw bridges that go to the garages.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
July 30, 2020, 08:47 AM
Gibb
When we were house hunting, we looked at a place that had a few streams on the borders of the property.

I made the comment to my wife that "with a little digging, I could make it a proper moat!"... The eye roll I got told me that house was off her list.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.
July 30, 2020, 09:27 AM
monoblok
No moat; I have this thing about mosquitoes...

-MG
July 30, 2020, 09:34 AM
ArtieS
Half by moat, with gators, the other half with fencing and two gates. 900' driveway backed by a scoped M1A and an FN FAL. Concrete block house. But, we're friendly. Our posture is purely defensive...

I am considering adding a palisade, motte, bailey and keep. I also need proper gatehouses. With murder holes, of course. Finally, my battlements are grossly insufficient.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
July 30, 2020, 11:21 PM
scratchy
Cannons, armor and moats? This would be an incredible theme park.

July 30, 2020, 11:22 PM
parabellum
And codpiece
July 31, 2020, 08:23 AM
Voshterkoff
Wouldn’t a moat seep into the bunker?
July 31, 2020, 08:36 AM
slabsides45
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
And codpiece

Lord help us all if this turns out to be the theme park's version of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers