SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Haunting photos discovered in Chicago attic, painstakingly pieced together
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haunting photos discovered in Chicago attic, painstakingly pieced together Login/Join 
posted
Fascinating video of long forgotten glass photographic plates in Chicago home about to be demolished. The historical aspect is fascinating. It is an eight minute video worth viewing.

Here is a brief summary:

Salvaging old homes is a competitive business. There’s money to be made in old doors, stained glass and brass fixtures.

Just ask Chicago's Jimmy Nuter. He's made a career out of it. But what he discovered in one North Side home was a priceless discovery: photographs.

Photographs from another age, taken by a famous artist.

In this piece from Backstory, Larry Potash learns how, like a detective, Nuter pieced together the evidence and discovered the backstory of the famous people who lived in the house a century ago. If you’re a fan of the saga of nanny/street photographer Vivian Maier, this story is right up your alley.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/10/07/h...gly-pieced-together/

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend once found thousands of dollars of gold coins, when demolishing an old house with his backhoe. It was inside the walls, behind the lath and plaster.

He went back with a metal detector, found more.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Great story.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks, very interesting. One wonders why that stuff was in the attic. If it was being stored, you'd think a little more care would have been taken.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If you’re a fan of the saga of nanny/street photographer Vivian Maier, this story is right up your alley.

Maier did fantastic work, only recently being appreciated. Wonderful, candid street photography with the not subtle Rolleiflex 2 1-14 square camera. Not as clunky as Weegee's Speed Graphic but not sneaky in the least. Not sure how she relates to this attic find but learn about Maier but all means.

**EDIT**

I realize the tie-in after the fact, unknown and found photographs. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Cool story, thanks for posting.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool story!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Barry looked like a pretty good dog

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing,cool pic's and story.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Sorry, this content is not available in your region.

Frown

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry. Did not know that. Strange.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not your problem, Sir, but mine. I can't see LOADS of stuff over here in Europe, including some, but not all, of OPB [Oregon Public Broadcast]. Now THAT's a real PITA, since we live there part of the year...

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
A VPN may solve your problem.

quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not your problem, Sir, but mine. I can't see LOADS of stuff over here in Europe, including some, but not all, of OPB [Oregon Public Broadcast]. Now THAT's a real PITA, since we live there part of the year...

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post