SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Earnest Hemingway, the Hemlock Tree, and the Tanning Industry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earnest Hemingway, the Hemlock Tree, and the Tanning Industry Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Hemingway is probably my favorite writer of all. I love his concise writing style of short declarative sentences and the fact that he felt no need to dazzle his readers with the bullshit of an impressive vocabulary, seemingly used for the purpose of self-aggrandizement.

I’m reading a collection of his short stories right now called, “The Nick Adams Stories.” Nick Adams was a character that Hemingway returned to repeatedly over the years. Scribner Publishing assembled the stories in chronological order.

I’m not familiar with Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis), but apparently it is, or at least was plentiful in the forested areas of the East and Great Lakes. Hemingway’s story is set in northern Michigan and he told me that the high value tree for lumber is the White pine (Pinus strobus). The wood from a Hemlock tree is weak and somewhat brittle; it doesn’t make good lumber.

In the 19th century Hemlock had value in the tanning industry. Its bark is very high in tannin, the chemical used to tan leather for thousands of years. Hemingway described stands of timber with acres of Hemlock trees lying on the ground, stripped of the bark, and the tree left to rot on the ground. “Tanbark,” the generic term for any species of tree bark used in the leather tanning process was a new term to me. Hemingway caused me to do further research on Hemlock and why the bark was stripped off them—I had no idea.

Bark is bulky, heavy and hard to ship economically, so tanneries were often built close to the source of the bark. I learned that tanneries were responsible for early growth in cities in Michigan and Wisconsin, and undoubtedly in the Northeast as well.

Around the turn of the century, chrome tanning, which uses metal sulfates rather than natural tannins became the industry standard. Chrome tanning is faster and cheaper but more environmentally hazardous than vegetable tanning.

This was all new to me. My education and work experience is in rangelands, and I’ve never lived and worked were Hemlock is found; I suppose many of you who live in those areas knew this.

This was my new thing learned yesterday; maybe someone in the Forum will find this interesting too.

Posts: 13306 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I actually did find it interesting, thank you. Hemingway is probably my favorite author as well if I had to name one. And Tsuga is Japanese Hemlock, as I recall my biology days.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I actually did find it interesting, thank you. Hemingway is probably my favorite author as well if I had to name one. And Tsuga is Japanese Hemlock, as I recall my biology days.

I’m no forester, but I believe the genus Tsuga means hemlock. The genus of Douglas fir, one of the most valuable conifers, is Pseudotsuga or “false hemlock.” A little research discloses the fact that there is indeed two species of hemlock found on the islands of Japan called “Japanese hemlock.” Tsuga sieboldii (Southern Japanese Hemlock) and Tsuga diversifolia (Northern Japanese Hemlock).

Posts: 13306 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A lot of the creeks and rivers in the UP have brown tinted water. It's not dirty...it's very clean, but it's tinted by the tannin from the surrounding vegetation.

Posts: 8678 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Same with a lot of Florida black water.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I met an old Indian squaw down in Crow Agency (MT) some years ago who used brains to tan hides. Hadn't heard of that method prior to that, but she did some really nice work.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I met an old Indian squaw down in Crow Agency (MT) some years ago who used brains to tan hides. Hadn't heard of that method prior to that, but she did some really nice work.

I’ve known a few hunters who did their own tanning with brains, seems like they also used ash.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
"The Last Good Country".

Big Two Hearted is probably the most well known of the Nick Adams stories.

My wife and I attended an event hosted by the Michigan Hemingway Society, recreating his first marriage to Hadley a couple years ago at Walloon Lake.

I'm kind of a fan myself.

Posts: 11235 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yes, “The Last Good Country” is the short story that caused me to research downed hemlocks with the bark stripped.

“Big Two Hearted” is found in this compilation I’m reading.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Yep, general rule of thumb I remember hearing is each animal has enough brains to tan it's own hide.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Tmats, you might enjoy this book my wife gave me a couple years ago.

Posts: 11235 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet I would, Brad, thanks. It’s in the cart.