SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    E-mail, text etiquette, rules , regulations, guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E-mail, text etiquette, rules , regulations, guidelines Login/Join 
posted
Just wondering if I am doing it wrong.

Ist it ok to send people stuff anytime day or night ?

Are there wrong times ?

If you text me at midnight, you won't get an answer until I turn my phone on.

Phone calls , I get,
Not before 9 a.m. not during supper , not after 8 p.m.

Just not sure if I am " up to date"
About the other.

Is there a general consensus ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, texts and emails are OK to send and reply to at each person’s convenience. Settings can be adjusted to silence incoming at hours you don’t want to be disturbed.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use do not disturb on my cell phones for both messages/phone calls from 9p-7a except for certain people + family members.

i both send/receive emails from the time i turn the computer on, 'til i turn it off.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I do the dame thing airbubba does, except my do not disturb goes off at 6:00 am

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
i use do not disturb on my cell phones for both messages/phone calls from 9p-7a except for certain people + family members.

i both send/receive emails from the time i turn the computer on, 'til i turn it off.

^^^^^^^
This plus I do not feel compelled to answer every phone call ASAP. My wife and precious few others will get answered when they ring. Anyone else, I might answer if I am not busy. I do get back to those who matter to me.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I don't mind folks emailing or texting me at anytime of day/night. Phone? Definitely not in the middle of the night, because I won't answer, unless it's from someone I know, and it's an emergency.

Q

Posts: 26507 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
If you’re texting me in the middle of the night it still needs to be important.

Will I be upset? No…will i ask WTF are you sending me random shit at 0200? Absolutely.

It’s the equivalent of late 90’s when people thought everyone liked their stupid email jokes.

The messages need to be warranted no matter the time of day.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Email, just like snail mail: Anytime it moves the sender.

Text messages, again: Anytime the mood strikes, but, depending upon what I'm doing at the time you may or may not get a prompt response. (And, if I forget about it in the interim, you may get no response at all.)

Phone calls: Anything before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m., certainly NLT 10 p.m., better have some urgency to it. Otherwise: Poor form, IMO. And stay the hell away from supper time, fer crissakes, which averages around 7 p.m. in the U.S. (We eat closer to 6 p.m.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the context and your relationship with someone. I send stuff to a close friend at all hours. He's got young kids too and has a similarly messed up schedule. Relatives and acquaintances don't get the same sarcastic late texts with memes or funny videos either.

Posts: 716 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you’re under 30 you don’t respond to texts and never answer the phone.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I haven't ever figured out how to allow certain calls/text while blocking most others. Maybe I am just not smart enough, whatever.
I like to have my phone on at night in case of an emergency but I sure do NOT appreciate and non-emergency calls/texts in the middle of the night.
9pm -8am is quiet time for me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It really depends on who your sending your dick pics to. Some folks don't want to be bothered late at night with that. Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the basic rules have been set. I'm different and my "sleep time" is from 0300 to 1000, typically. I will handle e-mail any time I'm at the computer. Most of my phone calls (landline and flip phone) happen between 0900 and 2100, so I'm not having problems there (most are spam calls that I don't answer).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:

I do the do not disturb during these exact same times! LOL!

During the day I don’t answer a call at all if I don’t recognize the number due to so many spam calls. If it is important, they need to leave a message.

Scariest call I got was two years ago at 4am and the call came through because it was from my mom’s phone. I answered to hear it was EMS calling from her phone and she had a stroke. I got up and hauled ass to the hospital. Thank god it was a mini-stroke, but this is a good reason to make sure certain people’s calls can get through your do not disturb.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8671 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I haven't ever figured out how to allow certain calls/text while blocking most others. Maybe I am just not smart enough, whatever.
I like to have my phone on at night in case of an emergency but I sure do NOT appreciate and non-emergency calls/texts in the middle of the night.
9pm -8am is quiet time for me.

On iphone, you can go to the contact, go to edit, then on the ringtone setting, there is "emergency bypass"- turn that on.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Email anytime. Text - avoid traditional sleeping hours.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

On iphone, you can go to the contact, go to edit, then on the ringtone setting, there is "emergency bypass"- turn that on.

If I understand it correctly, the emergency bypass also affects the silent mode switch on the iPhone. If you go into a meeting, and use the silent mode switch, and your wife calls, it will ring through.

The do not disturb mode still allows the silent mode to function.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Be considerate to folks who may be on call and have phone on overnight. Or they can just silence repeat offenders; looking at you sister Bettyaire!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12451 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
When sending email or a text message, it will be received better if it doesn’t start:

LOOK ASSHOLE…

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
IMO, e-mails and text messages can be sent any time, to be read (or not) at the recipient's convenience.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post