SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Charging an EV battery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charging an EV battery Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Just wondering how long it takes to charge one.
I know it will vary from vehicle to vehicle and how low the charge is at the start.
Just a rough idea is all I am looking for.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slow ones five hours, the fast one 15 minutes to 45 minutes. Its a problem.

Posts: 17276 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one but know friends and family that do.

For my Boss and his 2 Tesla's takes about 8-10 hours to charge them to full. Both have the long range batteries. He uses the 240 volt plug.

My friend with a Honda plug in hybrid that only gets 50 miles of range on the battery portion would take 10-12 hours on a standard 110 volt wall outlet. He usually will charge his car over night at a certain hour until the next morning when the rate on electricity are the lowest to save money. He is too cheap to get a 240 outlet plug which could charge it in 2-3 hours.

My Boss has solar panels on his home so he charges his cars as soon as he parks his cars in the garage. So that they usually have a full charge every time he drives. Since it's free for him.

If you try to charge a Tesla on a 110 outlet it will take nearly 3 days to charge to full. So the 240 plug is essential if you want a electric car.

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://energywisemnstore.com/...rt-Clipper-Creek.pdf

This is about the most in-depth chart I could find. Lists many different vehicle along with different charging speeds.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on the charging rate of the vehicle and the type of charger is being used

I can go from 20% to 80% in 20 min at a Tesla Super charger

At home I have a level 2 charger set for 48A. takes 4.5hrs to go from 20-80%

in a pinch the 110v provided charger can be use. it would take DAYS!!! to achieve the same

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to how much it costs to charge an EV at a public charging station. I've seen video's where the person is swiping their card before charging up.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Part of it is the v of the Ev, most are 400, newer are moving to 800, which interestingly takes less time to charge. Hyundai/Kia have made the move to 400, Tesla and many of the existing are 400, so they take longer to charge.

Which opens up the inevitable discussion on how quickly your EV will become obsolete simply based on some switch, wires, ECU or battery structure.

Like ICE moving from a flathead 4 cyl Model T to a 55 Chevy with the new OHC V8, then EFI, next Hybrid tech to EV's

What took decades for changes from the 1920s to the 2020's will take just a few years as vehicles tech quickly evolves.

https://electronics360.globals...pping%20the%20system's%20operating,to%20charge%20the%20battery%20pack.

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Another less precise but more relevant answer is an electric vehicle will recharge fast enough if you add an extra day to a 650 mile trip, plus hotels and meals. And good luck finding more than a 110v outlet in a motel away from the main line charging grid, which is not extensive. Tesla put in a network that ran from St Lous to Denver to New Mexico to CA originally, and that was all there was then.

Im about 14 hours out from the Gulf coast and no electric can do that at present. 450 miles max with a 12 hour recharge required. Want to go coast to coast from NY to a pier in San Diego in less than 30 hours? Not going to happen.

Electrics are luxury golf carts with limited range - which is exactly the point. Keeping the American people tethered to a limited radius keeps them under control.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a Mach E so this is based on what I could find on my car.

Level 1, 110V will add 3 miles of range per hour.

Level 2, 220V will vary a little depending on the amps of your circuit. 48A will get you 28 miles of range per hour. 32A will get you 20 miles per hour.

DC Fast chargers will take you to 90% in about 45 minutes. Then the charge rate will slow dramatically to protect the battery. You could wait another 45 minutes to get to 100%. On road trips you really only need to fast charge long enough to get to the next charger or your destination.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My electric bicycle charges from 25% to a full charge in 6-7 hours. It charges from a 50% charge in about 3-4 hours. It cruises at 35 mph, has a top speed of 44 mph and a range of 30-80 miles depending on how much you pedal to assist. It’s completely altered my view towards electric vehicles. I am about to wire up the regenerative braking so the range should improve by about 6%.

If the people saying the future is electric are right it’s going to be more fun than a lot of people expect. (This is coming from a two stroke motorcycle enthusiast and general petrol head.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
Another less precise but more relevant answer is an electric vehicle will recharge fast enough if you add an extra day to a 650 mile trip, plus hotels and meals. And good luck finding more than a 110v outlet in a motel away from the main line charging grid, which is not extensive. Tesla put in a network that ran from St Lous to Denver to New Mexico to CA originally, and that was all there was then.

Im about 14 hours out from the Gulf coast and no electric can do that at present. 450 miles max with a 12 hour recharge required. Want to go coast to coast from NY to a pier in San Diego in less than 30 hours? Not going to happen.

Electrics are luxury golf carts with limited range - which is exactly the point. Keeping the American people tethered to a limited radius keeps them under control.
KIA just broke the record going from NY to California by only needing 7 hours and 10 minutes of charge time which is amazing since it’s a multi-day trip for anyone.

No normal person is driving 3000+ miles in 30 hours so the charge times are vastly blow out of proportion by people who let the politics of the whole EV movement ruin their objectivity.

They won’t work for everyone but most people will have zero problems with range.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It took Kia 7 days to go 2,800 miles with a little over 7 hours spent "fueling”. It’s 4 day trip requiring 4, 15 minute fuel stops in my pick up truck. If I used a similar sized vehicle to the Kia, the fuel stops would be shorter yet.

Since it took them 7 days, they clearly weren’t driving freeway speeds. I’d be curious to know how the Kia would fair driving at speeds most people would drive at.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I want to point out that the “time to full charge” is not necessarily the most relevant question. My experience is with a Tesla Model 3 with dual motor and long range battery. Tesla is very good with maximizing battery life, so they control the battery temperature and charging rate. As the battery gets closer to a full charge, the charging rate slows.

So while it can take an hour at a supercharger to reach “full”, you can get 80% - 85% in 15-20 minutes. As a practical matter, you can add 200+ miles to your range in 15 minutes, if you are low to start with. My son has driven cross country several times, with no more than a 20 minute stop after a 200-250 mile leg. And that 200-250 mile range will cost you about $10 at a supercharger. If you catch a “destination charger” open at a hotel, you can typically charge for free overnight.

An analogy would be if it took an hour to fill your tank with gas, but you could get 3/4 of the tank in 15 minutes. You’d probably stop at 3/4, and drive 200-250 miles instead of 300.

There is no question that petro based engines are quicker to refuel, with many more locations available. You can drive crosse country in an EV, but if you did that a lot, it certainly wouldn’t be my first choice. On the other hand, on a day to day basis you never have to go to a gas station.

Ask yourself how much time do you spend during the year at gas stations during long drives, and how much time do you spend at gas stations locally?

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^ apple does this with the new OS. It seems like it now takes forever to charge my phone on my new 2022 SE Gen 3 but this is because the OS has learned my schedule and when I charge/use my phone and intentionally slows charging once past 80% charged to maximize battery life. The battery life btw is also noticeably better than on my Gen 2 SE by a large margin.

Our family could easily get by with an EV for 99% of our driving. Sure there are plenty of scenarios where the charging could be an issue but for a lot of others I believe politics and perceived issues that might not even be an actual issue are causing them to lose objectivity on this subject. They are not going to work for everyone obviously but unless you have a long as hell commute to another state each work day you could probably get by with an EV.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
^^^ apple does this with the new OS. It seems like it now takes forever to charge my phone on my new 2022 SE Gen 3 but this is because the OS has learned my schedule and when I charge/use my phone and intentionally slows charging once past 80% charged to maximize battery life. <<snip>>

Go into the battery settings and turn off the "Optimized Battery Charging" and it will return to the way it used to work. I had to do this shortly after getting my new iPhone 12 about 2 months ago...

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post