SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2013 Ford F150 xtra cab stx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Ford F150 xtra cab stx Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
My Mil has this truck with very low miles on it (45k) She wants a smaller 4wd/awd suv. There is a local Ford Dealer close. I am not a huge Ford guy. But I am guessing the Escape is probably a Ford that would meet her needs. Are they any good. I think she is thinking used, but not totally sure.
What do you think her F150 is worth? Pretty sure it has the V8 power plant in it. Nice truck.
If it were a SuperDuty I would be looking at re-arranging my fleet.

I would prefer she get a used Highlander.

Thoughts?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know several Escape owners and they like them, our Lincoln Corsair was a fancy escape. Owned 3 years not one problem.

Posts: 429 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Go to Carvana, CarMax put in the vin under the sell my car link, answer a few questions and you'll get a current market price from the online buyers.

This gives you a written offer to use to negotiate with any dealer on a trade in value to compare to what the dealer offers. Expect them to low ball as usual until you show you know the street value.

Also if CarMax offers say $20,000 trade, it's retail value is probably $23,000, so you can up the offer from the dealer because you can walk out and get a check that day.

Escape are nice, we have the Lincoln Version, they run well, smaller, easy to drive, come with lots of bells and whistles. Zero mechanical or cosmetic issues with the two we've owned.

You could probably get more for your money at a Kia/Hyundai dealer in a similar model than what Ford offers for the same price point. It would be worth investigating and comparing. Kia Sportage would be similar, and look at the Soul, it seems to be a hit with the older crowd, it was targeted at younger buyers, but seniors tend to like them, doors open wide, low entry point, lots of interior room, lots of visibility and starts at $20K, you can get the Sportage in AWD or FWD, and it has a hybrid electric version if she's into that...

Kia/Hyundai all have 10/100 warranties, which might be a plus for her. Ford is 3/36 basic and 5/60 powertrain.

Link to Kia

Oh and be prepared to be swamped with "buy a toyohonda" comments, maybe a few Subarus . Big Grin

If going Toyota, a Rav4 would be a similar vehicle Honda CRv, beware that Honda and Toyota have very low inventory nationwide so it might be harder to find a specific car you want. When my daughter looked at Toyota and Honda, she ended up with the Kia Sorento, more room, same money, more options, longer warranty,

Posts: 23618 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't have much experience with the current generation escapes, but my wife has a 2011 and I am close with 2 other people with Escapes. All 3 have been fantastically reliable, even if they are soulless little econoboxes.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3520 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have much experience with the current generation escapes, but my wife has a 2011 …

The 2008-12 generation, provided it doesn't rust, is a "can't kill it" car. After that, they are passable with the 2.5 non-turbo engine, but the turbo engines are failure-prone.

Posts: 28029 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post