SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shed Water Leak At Door -- Help, Please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shed Water Leak At Door -- Help, Please Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
PHOTOS

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmST5q4a

1. Shed did not leak until "now."
2. Shed was built in June 2020.
3. Shed is vinyl-sided, asphalt shingle roof
4. Door is inswing, hinged on left side
5. Door is metal
6. Door sill plate has water on top of it. Water is between the door gasket underneath the door and the sill plate.
7. Door is at end of six-foot wooden ramp. There is a gap between the metal door step plate and the ramp board. There are three runners under the ramp boards. Water can be felt on top of these ramp boards (2 x lumber)
8. Shed floor is treated OSB, two 3/4 sheets thick

Sure would like some ideas on how to fix this, guys. I waited 20 years for a shed and now a leak.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5074 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
check you flashing at the top of the door.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
June 2020? I'd be on the phone to whoever built it for you.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
How do you check flashing?

There is NO water coming down the sides of the door frame from the top, that I can see.

Builder is a friend of mine who has relocated to PA. He was out of work during the pandemic and has built many projects over the years. He is unavailable to return to diagnose and repair.

-------

Posts: 5074 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

Get inside with a flashlight, have wife hose down shed.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Photos? That might help!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2003 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think you might want to dry that osb and get some paint on it around the door area pdq.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Photos are located at the flickr link in the original post.

-------

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

Get inside with a flashlight, have wife hose down shed.

Think they are saying to check where the leak is coming from.

if you go the route of having the wife/gf/sig other spray the front down, then get inside and have them start at the bottom of the door with water, one side at a time and work up. start at the bottom on each side.

or

Remove the door and frame and inspect it, see where the leak is happening and fix from there with caulk, sealant, flashing, etc...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
want to dry that osb and get some paint on it

Or kick the friend in the nuts for flooring that in.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
No pic what is above it? Take it from someone who grew up in a town with 70" - 80" of rain a year. The first line of defense on that would be 18" - 24" Eaves on a non leaking roof. Anything less needs band aids.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few things I notice on the photos:

1) Door sill isn't caulked to the side jambs. This could let water in.

2) There is no wedge plug at the hinge corner of the door (where door slad edge goes against door jamb). The wedge plug acts as a crush seal in that corner.

3)Outside deck level appears to be higher than the inside floor level (not sure from photo) If the door threshold isn't sealed to the floor with at least 3 heavy beads of sealant (silicone) the water is likely coming in underneath.

4)Water stain on edge of door slab seems to indicate water is also coming in up the side of the slab, you should check the full perimeter seal around the edge. Use the dollar bill test. A dollar closed into the door should not be easy to pull out. (same way you check a refridgerator door seal)

Ken

Posts: 1050 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You can gently remove the siding on one side ...the vinyl should be hanging on roofing nails and not nailed all the way in...and you should be able to see flashing around the rough opening of the doorway.

Should be a rubber type product that covers the edge of the strip where the prehung door is nailed into the rough opening....if there is no flashing...that is the answer....and would be my guess based on a similar problem in my first house....the contractor never used flashing on a rear door...must have been a Friday...after I removed the old door (and the siding next to the doorway) I could see he hadn’t put any flashing

Rain gets blown up and into the vinyl siding and runs down the inside of the vinyl- w/o wrap and flashing the water will soak into the rough opening or prehung door that acts like a sponge and rots from the inside.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to tell for sure but it doesn’t look like the door has a door sill like this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Su...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

When we installed these we ran 2 beads of silicone underneath the sill against the subfloor and up the sides. You could remove the door and install this pretty easily.

Secondly, it looks like the landing/deck is at the same elevation as the subfloor...that’s a big no no. There should be a few inches difference between the two.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is NO water coming down the sides of the door frame from the top, that I can see.

Water isn't always obvious. There should be a piece of flashing coming out from the under your siding and over the top of the door. This keeps the water from getting behind your door from above.

The water isn't leaching up. If it's not obvious where it's coming in, keep looking up until you find the culprit.

I'm dealing with a similar issue with my windows. I'm having my basement finished and now that there's work around the window sills, voila!, water is coming in. It's not obvious from where either. Frown

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The upright 2 x 4 on either side of the door frame are covered with foil marked "flashing." The top header 2 x 4 (both) are not covered with foil.

There is no "Suresill" as shown in the link above.

-------