SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Safe Moving Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe Moving Advice Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Don't be an unsafe guy. Hire a safe guy.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap. I was raised but immigrants who did things themselves rather than pay others every chance they could in order to save pennies.

If the 300 to 600 dollars or more depending on steps (not exactly pennies) isn't going to set you back then pay someone to do it.

Or...

Go to a tool rental and rent a battery-operated lifting hand truck. I got my 20 year old nephews to help me and we went up 3 steps to the door, spun around 180 then down 11 to the basement. All we had to do was press 2 buttons per step. traveling through the basement was easy as the hand truck had a bar that allowed us to keep the safe at an angle and roll it without having to support any weight to its destination. Truly an easy job that took me about 20 minutes, and that included figuring out how it all works because I never pay attention when the rental tech explains it to me.

If your able bodied and got some help, it's a less than 1 beer project, but if you can afford the quoted cost just pay it.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4792 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Don't be
Aunt Bea

Listen to Ainge.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Crooks come in all shapes and sizes. Just because some fool paid the price and got a official looking license means little or nothing (except he charges more). I have a story from long ago, like maybe 30 years. I bought a safe at a big gun show. The sales jerk promised they'd deliver it on their way home after the show on Sunday. At the next show I should have shot him.

He made it clear they wouldn't bring it inside, but ground level at night would be fine with all of us. He was a liar. Remember he had a license. Never again.

I got a bunch of athletic friends to come over. His estimate of 8:00 PM kind of slipped. At 11:00 they went home and I went to bed. Monday morning I called and asked what happened. They'd already made the sale and didn't owe me anything. So in a few days they showed up with the safe at about 4:30 PM. Remember I live on a main state highway. Instead of a dead Sunday evening it was a traffic jam Weekday afternoon.

So they dropped it off their truck and rolled it up my drive My sons and I managed to get it inside my garage. By this point I regretted buying a whole lot. My buddies came over laughing about my precautions. But moving a safe isn't rocket science. They're just big and heavy. We got it inside and down the steps. Not much harder than a washer or dryer. We still laugh about it now, probably 30 years later. It's left me with the conclusion that safe salesmen are mostly crooks and surely not to be trusted.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Crooks come in all shapes and sizes. Just because some fool paid the price and got a official looking license means little or nothing (except he charges more). I have a story from long ago, like maybe 30 years. I bought a safe at a big gun show. The sales jerk promised they'd deliver it on their way home after the show on Sunday. At the next show I should have shot him.

He made it clear they wouldn't bring it inside, but ground level at night would be fine with all of us. He was a liar. Remember he had a license. Never again.

I got a bunch of athletic friends to come over. His estimate of 8:00 PM kind of slipped. At 11:00 they went home and I went to bed. Monday morning I called and asked what happened. They'd already made the sale and didn't owe me anything. So in a few days they showed up with the safe at about 4:30 PM. Remember I live on a main state highway. Instead of a dead Sunday evening it was a traffic jam Weekday afternoon.

So they dropped it off their truck and rolled it up my drive My sons and I managed to get it inside my garage. By this point I regretted buying a whole lot. My buddies came over laughing about my precautions. But moving a safe isn't rocket science. They're just big and heavy. We got it inside and down the steps. Not much harder than a washer or dryer. We still laugh about it now, probably 30 years later. It's left me with the conclusion that safe salesmen are mostly crooks and surely not to be trusted.

It is a sample of one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While personal injury is orders of magnitude more serious and costly, don't underestimate how much damage can be done to property.

One option to avoid this risk is a safe you can assemble. Zanotti Safe makes some good products.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Ended up being $350 to move the safe. Worth the money to have it done safely and I have time for other activities. Bonus he came by 6:30PM tonight so I can fill it tomorrow.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta wonder ,
Those front legs look like wonderful fulcrums.

When you get that door all loaded up and the door wide open,
How light do those rear legs get?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I gotta wonder ,
Those front legs look like wonderful fulcrums.

When you get that door all loaded up and the door wide open,
How light do those rear legs get?

I put felt pad sliders on the bottom to protect the hardwood flooring but its definitely a bit front heavy with that 1/4" thick door plate. Should be a non issue when I get it bolted down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG4EVA,

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post