SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hybrid bike advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hybrid bike advice Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I'm looking for a hybrid bike for exercise and enjoyment and could use some advice. I'll be using it to go 5-6 miles on paved roads and paths that may occasionally have a dirt/gravel section. There are also a ton of hills where I live.

REI has a CTY 1.1 and 1.2.

I've also read some reviews about Trek, but they are out of stock a lot of places until 2022.

I'd like to spend under a thousand since I'm just getting into it. Thank you!

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks rather solid and you should be happy with the purchase.

Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Fuji, Specialized all have a decent hybrid in this price range.

If you drop down to Schwinn, etc, you'll spend $200-300 and likely unsatisfied.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Looks rather solid and you should be happy with the purchase.

Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Fuji, Specialized all have a decent hybrid in this price range.

If you drop down to Schwinn, etc, you'll spend $200-300 and likely unsatisfied.

Thank you. I'd rather buy a Trek, but it's hard to find them. Will there be much of a difference between them an the REI?

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I have two hybrid bikes and I highly suggest the Electra Townie Path 9D Step-Over. Electra was bought by TREK some time ago and the bike quality remains the same. TREK sells & provides maintenance support for all Electras; I believe the Townie is #1 right now in terms of overall U.S. bike sales...which also equates to high demand. You can purchase it w/accessories in an EQ version, if you're interested in fenders, a rear rack and front/rear (wheel powered) LED lights. It runs ~ $850.

The 9D's frame is aluminum, comes w/a 9-speed Shimano shifter / derailleur, Tektro disc brakes and configured as an upright riding bike based on the brand's flat foot tech. I can't say enough how pleasant it is to ride and I conquer mid-size hills well.

The only downside is that TREK will only ship their bikes a limited distance between stores. Good luck!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two Trek FX3s. Excellent hybrids. I’d heard that some of their bikes were not in stock but I kept checking back with calls and visits and such to the shops. They were so back ordered that when they did receive them in store it took awhile to put them together. When they did, then they listed them as in stock so it’s possible you’d come into one that way.
Regardless, you wouldn’t be disappointed with a FX3, great bike. Hope you can check them out.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

Thank you. I'd rather buy a Trek, but it's hard to find them. Will there be much of a difference between them an the REI?

I've owned the Trek 7500FX and a 7.3FX. Both excellent bikes. If you want to wait for a Trek, go for it. Although I don't think you'd be disappointed by REI's quality or performance.

REI typically doesn't sell crappy stuff.

Another option is Craigslist or FB Marketplace for a nice used bike.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I talked to Trek and they said the FX3 may not be available until this time in 2022.

CTY 1.1 $600
https://www.rei.com/product/12...p-cycles-cty-11-bike

City 1.2 $1k
https://www.rei.com/product/12...p-cycles-cty-12-bike

Would the CTY 1.1 be close to the FX3 or would I have to pay 1k for the 1.2? The other option would be trying to find an FX2.

Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Check marketplace on Facebook. I’ve had pretty good luck there, and have bought more than one quality bicycle. I currently have a Trek 7.7, and a DS2. Both are outstanding, and I would highly recommend them!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2500 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
Check marketplace on Facebook. I’ve had pretty good luck there, and have bought more than one quality bicycle. I currently have a Trek 7.7, and a DS2. Both are outstanding, and I would highly recommend them!

I also have a Trek DS2 and love it. The bike store up the street has several trek hybrid bikes, but no road bikes. I wonder if the inventory is regional.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d suggest a Trek Marlin over any hybrid option if there’s even the most remote chance you’ll become more interested in riding. Much more capable long term purchase that wouldn’t require much, if any, upgrading. Don’t get caught up on it being a ‘mountain bike’, if you get into riding ‘road’ you’d want something dramatically different than would be enjoyable for casual riding and now you’ll have an excuse for 2 bikes.

Note: Equation for optimal number of bikes is similar to optimal number of firearms. N+1, N = Current number of bikes.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
These things are as rare as an honest politician. We tried a couple Townies last spring and loved them. We couldn’t find any back in Montana. The earliest we could get them was 18 months. We happened on 2 Trek Verve+3 bikes. They are step-thru bikes and a bit pricey but we really like them. Doing the Hiawatha Trail next week.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
++++ Electra Townie. Mine is 13 years old and has been great.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bikes are pretty hard to find right now. Last year I picked up a Marin Nicasio + which is a gravel bike that does quite well the road as well as trails. I’ve had it on some pretty gnarly trails and was shocked at how well it performed. Unfortunately Marin has raised their prices across the board. I like that this bike has a 4130 Chromoly frame so it’s strong as hell and the ride is more supple than my aluminum/carbon gravel bike. If you can fine one of these used I bet you would love it. My friends who ride it all rave about how great it rides. Whenever we swap bikes they never want to swap back. Big Grin

The wide range of gears makes this bike tackle hills with ease.

If I could only own one bike it would be this one.

Last year I ordered the upgraded version of this bike from my local bike store and I am STILL waiting on Marin to fulfill the order. Frown

+1 for Giant and Fuji. Believe it or not eBay might be a good place to find a bike in your budget. I found a mtn bike for my son as well as my wife on eBay. I actually ended up paying a darn good price compared to the stuff I was finding for sale locally.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine the OP is looking for a flatbar bike and not one with drop down bars. OP, where are you located?

P229

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Verve 2
https://www.scheels.com/p/trek...ke/1643-1042780.html

Cty 1.1

https://www.rei.com/product/12...p-cycles-cty-11-bike

I found both locally and they are on hold. The guy at REI said they use Giant frames and the internals are pretty similar, so I'd just be paying $220 more for the Trek name.

I'm leaning towards the REI just because it's 2 pounds lighter. Is that the wrong move?

quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
I’d suggest a Trek Marlin over any hybrid option if there’s even the most remote chance you’ll become more interested in riding. Much more capable long term purchase that wouldn’t require much, if any, upgrading. Don’t get caught up on it being a ‘mountain bike’, if you get into riding ‘road’ you’d want something dramatically different than would be enjoyable for casual riding and now you’ll have an excuse for 2 bikes.

Note: Equation for optimal number of bikes is similar to optimal number of firearms. N+1, N = Current number of bikes.

They had a Marlin as well, but the guy said I'd be dying on the hills.

posted Hide Post
Shop wherever you want, for myself, I'm done with REI due to their anti-gun stance.

https://ultimateupland.com/you...pocrite-without-rei/

https://www.sltrib.com/news/bu...r-company-over-guns/

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:

They had a Marlin as well, but the guy said I'd be dying on the hills.

This is poor advice/opinion. A 1x12 with an appropriately sized chain ring for your riding/area will have just as much range as a 3x8 you’re looking at. Not to mention, will save you the headache of shifting/derailleur maintenance on a low tier group set that will require attention for it to remain in working condition. Most casual riders stay in the middle chainring of a 3x and only shift the cassette anyways… Get an oval 1x and you’ll see even more perceived range.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Specialized also makes good hybrid bikes, comparable to track in my opinion.
The thing to look for is the quality level of components, which is going to vary quite a bit depending on price range.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat in early September. Wanted a hybrid to replace a MTB that was too tall for me and geared to low.

Local bike shop had a Giant Escape 2 Disc in stock, in my size. For the princely sum of $720

I am loving it. Just what I was looking for for paved trails and roads in my area. The day after I bought it I did 45 miles on it without a hitch.

Double front sprocket and 8-speed cassette, hydraulic disc brakes, lightweight, 29” puncture resistant tires.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-2-disc

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mine is an older low-spec Marin, can't recall the model.
Front suspension with lockout, hybrid tires (smooth in the center for road & knobby on the sides for non paved bits).

Works well for running the kids to/from school, though I need to replace the derailleurs, the rear won't upshift anymore.
Otherwise it's never given me any trouble.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post