SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question on ESPN+ MIL wants to see the Cardinals
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on ESPN+ MIL wants to see the Cardinals Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
My MIL wants to see as many Cardinals baseball games as possible, without getting Direct TV or some cable package she will never use.

I don't know how ESPN+ works, if we signed her up would she get a lot of Cards games, or is it just sports shows and news?

Internet streaming isn't really an option, needs to be as user friendly as possible. This is an elderly lady who can just barely use the Kindle tablet we got her.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
no expert on this subject here. But I think espn+ is a streaming app. So would you not need internet and a Roku type tv?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
yes it is a streaming service, but I can set it up so she just hits a button or two on the remote and is in.

Trying to get internet streamed to the TV is a whole other thing, at least as far as I know. Maybe there is an easy way I am not aware of.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
We have Bally sports Midwest. Tell her to bring the beer.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24159 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the Cards (like the Twins) have a contract with whatever sports broadcaster you have in the area. The only games on ESPN are going to be the ones they have paid to show and they'll be on their broadcast channel.

I have ESPN+ and I don't see any streaming options. It looks pretty similar to the layout on MLB.com where I get to see video of the Twins and so on, but not the games. I watch them on Bally Sports North.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
E-mail sent.

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have Amazon prime you can attach MLB. They sometimes will sell it at half price. She will be able to watch all of the games.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’d need to subscribe to the MLB package

ESPN doesn’t really show that many games

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
You’d need to subscribe to the MLB package

ESPN doesn’t really show that many games

Depends greatly where she is. If she is in their assigned protected area all their games will be blacked out. For example, when I'm in Florida I get the Cardinals on MLB unless they are playing one of the Florida teams in Florida. When I'm in Indiana all the MLB games are blocked out. Frankly its a PITA. I have to get the Midwest sports pack from cable in Indiana.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cardinals have contract with Bally Sports Midwest - BSMW (formerly Fox sports, FSMW). Basically, if BSMW is available on your cable/sat package, you live in that market & most streaming is under blackout. You could overcome that with a VPN, but technology...and the streaming services will actively try to block VPNs.
FSMW used to have streaming, but I never used it & have no idea how much it cost or if it was subject to blackouts.
Pop her zipcode into Directv.com to see what 'local sports' is available - If BSMW, streaming will be a pain.

ESPN will only have a few games - Sunday night they get to pick which matchup they want.
Fox has a Saturday game-of-the-day that will get Cards on occasion for national broadcast. They haven't always blacked out in favor of FSMW/BSMW, but I haven't really paid attention after the Fox->Bally name change.

MLB.com sells streaming for all games, but you have to be outside of the TV 'broadcast' area for that team, or it's blacked out.
I also seem to remember that you could watch the full games after they aired, but you'd have to look to see if that's a real thing.

I didn't know about Prime, but that might work if you are out of market.

If you are in-market for BSMW, it will be difficult w/o cable/sat. Also, DishNetwork is forever fighting with BSMW over costs - I don't know if they have it back yet. Directv just raises your bill rather than fight.

Even with VPN, I don't know of any single streaming source that will get you ALL, but Bally & MLB.com will get you the most.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Of course, you could just buy her a season ticket, and drive her to the games. You'd go down as the best son-in-law ever.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I use ESPN+ to stream college baseball, and some MLB, on our TV’s at home. One TV we use a fire stick and the others have the ESPN App available natively in the TV menu. I will also watch games on my iPad, through the ESPN App, while traveling.

As to her ability to watch Cardinals games specifically, that is hard to say. The MLB’s TV rules are archaic and she may live in an area subject to blackouts. For example, I live in Austin which is about equal distance from Houston and Dallas. I can stream Rangers games but Astros are blacked out in my market.

Checking the MLB schedule, the Cardinals game is on ESPN+ Friday at 1:05PM

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
There is no cheap way to do it. Baseball is all local tv contracts so you need to sign up and pay for the station local to the team. I paid $100 for the MLB app thru Roku hoping to watch TX Ranger games and the teams local to me were blacked out, ended up canceling it.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maybe this can help

Link

Watch Every Cardinals Game This Season
Below explains how to watch Cardinals games this season based on where you live.

St. Louis Cardinals TV Market: consists of eastern and central Missouri, central and southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, Nebraska, and Iowa

Best Solution when inside their TV Market: Watch on Bally Sports Midwest through the DIRECTV STREAM streaming service (sign up online)
Best Solution when living Outside the Cardinals TV Market: Watch nearly all Cardinals games on MLB.TV.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
MLB and VPN.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Best Solution when inside their TV Market: Watch on Bally Sports Midwest through the DIRECTV STREAM streaming service (sign up online)
Best Solution when living Outside the Cardinals TV Market: Watch nearly all Cardinals games on MLB.TV.

HRK is right. I watch Cardinals games on Bally Sports Midwest through Spectrum. I watch my nephew (Baltimore Orioles) on the MLB.TV on my computer.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24159 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Teach her how to use Dofu sports app

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
MLB and VPN.

Does that actually work to "hide" the location? I had considered a vpn for security anyway. That would be a win/win.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
MLB and VPN.

Does that actually work to "hide" the location? I had considered a vpn for security anyway. That would be a win/win.
It "works" in a sense as there is no way for the remote site to determine your actual egress IP address (probably the "outside" address of your premises router) and use IP geolocation mapping to determine your physical location. However. the VPN "server" netblocks used by commercial VPN providers quickly become public knowledge, and make it onto a blocklist if the content provider doesn't want to serve customers who are accessing via a tunneling mechanism.

And as far as using a VPN for "security" goes, it does protect against certain specific threats, mostly logging/privacy-related, but does nothing to protect against some of the most common and serious threats. So, as always, it pays to know what you are doing.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I know it's all true, but this sounds like Fizzbin , the game Kirk made up to confuse their guards on the original Star Trek series episode ' A Piece of the Action'

quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Cardinals have contract with Bally Sports Midwest - BSMW (formerly Fox sports, FSMW). Basically, if BSMW is available on your cable/sat package, you live in that market & most streaming is under blackout. You could overcome that with a VPN, but technology...and the streaming services will actively try to block VPNs.
FSMW used to have streaming, but I never used it & have no idea how much it cost or if it was subject to blackouts.
Pop her zipcode into Directv.com to see what 'local sports' is available - If BSMW, streaming will be a pain.

ESPN will only have a few games - Sunday night they get to pick which matchup they want.
Fox has a Saturday game-of-the-day that will get Cards on occasion for national broadcast. They haven't always blacked out in favor of FSMW/BSMW, but I haven't really paid attention after the Fox->Bally name change.

MLB.com sells streaming for all games, but you have to be outside of the TV 'broadcast' area for that team, or it's blacked out.
I also seem to remember that you could watch the full games after they aired, but you'd have to look to see if that's a real thing.

I didn't know about Prime, but that might work if you are out of market.

If you are in-market for BSMW, it will be difficult w/o cable/sat. Also, DishNetwork is forever fighting with BSMW over costs - I don't know if they have it back yet. Directv just raises your bill rather than fight.

Even with VPN, I don't know of any single streaming source that will get you ALL, but Bally & MLB.com will get you the most.

This is almost worse than cell phone plans.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post