SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a quality window punch/breaker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a quality window punch/breaker Login/Join 
posted
After my second Resqme shit the bed after simply being kept in a pocket I need a new recommendation. I like the idea and size of the Resqme but I took it out of my cargo pocket and the internals are just rattling around inside. It’s not my definition of durable.

I would like something small like the Resqme or something pen sized. I found a Zak tool which is a pen and a spring you pull back on. Seems pretty fool proof.

Is there anything else I should check out?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spring loaded center-punch.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-3...84001418871072&psc=1

This one is about the size of a pen.
Some are a little fatter.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
We just used a spring loaded center punch from the local hardware store when I was on the Rescue Squad. Each member of the team had one and there were at least two in both rigs.

Now I keep one in the glove box of my truck and my car.

The hammer type are safer for the untrained, since you're unlikely to put your hand thru the window when using them.

https://www.amazon.com/OUDEW-E...y/dp/B09JZG18D7?th=1

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Why not just use your built-in window breaker...

(Big Grin)

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I still have the one I carried when I was a firefighter. It was always in my turnout coat pocket. I suggest one like this. It is much larger and easy to find and grab hold of when you're under stress or if you're wearing gloves.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/K-...h-KTI70002/207037036

Same basic principle, this has a much thicker profile.

Always apply to a corner of the window close to the frame. It will NOT work on a windshield as that is laminated glass.

For that I suggest this...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37996 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I have a handful of these (at $4 each, not a big spend.) Trauma bag, map pocket in car, console/glove compartments, etc.

I've used them on tempered glass auto windows and they work just fine.

Harbor Freight Spring-loaded punch

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up several breakers that fit in the lighter holder on the dash. I can't find the name, though. Gave one to all my daughters and adult granddaughter, my wife and I kept one for me. It has a glass breaker, about the size of the handle on a small fixed blade knife and accepts charger cables for my iPhone and who knows what else, including a light and little siren.

On my Pilot and my wife's CX-5 they are close at hand, yet low on the dash and unlikely to be dislodged in a crash. The thingee-whatever its name-seems to be very sturdy and should work for its purpose of breaking auto glass.

I will try to find the name of the product.

EDIT: I'm amazed that I found it-The React 7 available on Amazon. It's kinda pricey, I guess at $39.99 but I bought several for my family and thought it worth it.

Bob

Posts: 1579 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I have a LifeHammer in each of our vehicles.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDIT: I'm amazed that I found it-The React 7 available on Amazon. It's kinda pricey, I guess at $39.99 but I bought several for my family and thought it worth it.

Interesting piece, we hear of people dying in cars submurged, recently they've found several missing peoples bodies in cars where they drove into a retention pond, never to be heard from again

here's a link

A Link

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Driving into a retention pond is WAAAAAAAAY down the list of ways I wanna die. And it does happen here in Florida.

I've always been told, if that happens, to drop a window a little and let the car fill up then open the door. I don't care to see if that's good advice or not.

I think this breaker will "open" a window if I am in a wreck and want to get out of the vehicle NOW.

Bob

Posts: 1579 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's what we carried but my last 10 years or so I carried a seat belt cutter/window punch.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, the removal head rest posts are pointed to act as a window breaker.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Smith and Wesson vehicle escape tool with seatbelt cutter with glass breaker and USB charger

Smith Wesson escape tool

We all carry the Galls pen style glass breaker. I have one almost 15 years old

Galls glass breaker

Also have a glass breaker on the leatherman rescue shears I keep folded up in the case on my belt

Leatherman shears

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This tool has a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter. My Benchmade has a glass breaker on it but people are down on Benchmade. I believe the knife is called the triage.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-...gid=pla-729541762520

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you want something that will work every time and is simple and cheap. Get the biggest nail you can find and wrap the handle in paracord.

I went through a few spring loaded punches as they stopped working. On the flip side, you only have to apply the force with your fist Big Grin

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37996 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post