SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More cast iron skillet questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More cast iron skillet questions Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
That pan looks like it has seen some cooking on open fires and the outside neglected and not getting cleaned. I have one in the same shape. Interior smooth and seasoned while the outside has a build up. I heated it up on the stove top then took a wire brush to it and knocked off some of it. I didn't want to do the self cleaning oven trick so I emailed Kent Rollins cowboy cooking chef and cast iron guru and asked for his advice. He advised if the inside is seasoned and cooks well just leave it alone.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8536 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

At what temp does foil melt?

1220 deg F.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

At what temp does foil melt?

I put the foil in the bottom when I did my self cleaning and it stayed like new, it also was clean as a whistle. I’m assuming all the gunk gets burned up.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3644 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Another vote on the self clean cycle. I have a small collection of vintage pans, some were so covered in the same gunk as yours that the interior was actually smaller in diameter! Just be sure to season it immediately after or it will flash rust.

For seasoning, nothing works better than crisco. Wipe that sucker down and put back into the oven at 250 or so for 10 minutes. Remove the pan and wipe again. You want as little oil as possible. Put back in oven at 400 or so for two hours. "Seasoning" is actually polymerization of the oil. If you have sticky spots or pools after the process, you left too much on.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Do not have self-cleaning with our gas stove ... so clean by hand if necessary. If I pick up a cast iron skillet with outside gung like vthoky's then I warm it up really good in the oven to soften up the gung then do the initial cleaning with a putty knife followed by a wire brush.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Good morning vthoky,

I have posted this video in every thread pertainig to iron skillets. I just wish I had some iron skillets on which to test it. Hope it helps!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
For seasoning, nothing works better than crisco. {snip}

That seems easy enough; thank you!

Thank you, erj_pilot, for the additional video.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I would caution those using the oven self clean mode for cleaning cast iron. My manual was very specific about not leaving pans or anything else in the oven during the self cleaning mode due to possible fire hazard. They didn't specify but I'm sure things left in the oven stop any heat circulation and creates extreme hot spots creating a possible fire hazard. Another method is to throw the pan in a hot bed of coals if you have outdoor camp fires.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8536 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Another method is to throw the pan in a hot bed of coals if you have outdoor camp fires.

That's certainly doable. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Given the temperatures and the durations of self-cleaning oven modes, IMO you're just cooking your oven's electronics. I never use the self-cleaning function.

Posts: 9056 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post