SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    sulphur smell from raw corned beef
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sulphur smell from raw corned beef Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I bought a packaged corned beef last week, with a use-by date of sometime next month. I opened it this morning and put it in the crock pot, and it had a sulphur smell. Is this normal for corned beef? Or has the meat gone bad?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this normal for corned beef?

It sure isn't usual for corned beef. To my knowledge, no sulfur, or any compounds containing it, is used in the making of it.

Posts: 28023 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It’s not because it’s corned beef, it’s because of the Cryovac vacuum-pack shrink wrap process. They do something to eliminate oxygen inside the packaging to extend the shelf life, but there’s something that happens when there’s no oxygen that makes the meat develop a rotten egg smell.

It happens with basically all meat (seen it with many different cuts of raw beef, pork, lamb, and chicken) packed that way. If you let the meat sit for 15-30 minutes it goes away.

I guess it’s always possible it is spoiled, but the rotten egg smell thing is VERY common with Cryovac packaged meat.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
It’s not because it’s corned beef, it’s because of the Cryovac vacuum-pack shrink wrap process. They do something to eliminate oxygen inside the packaging to extend the shelf life, but there’s something that happens when there’s no oxygen that makes the meat develop a rotten egg smell.

It happens with basically all meat (seen it with many different cuts of raw beef, pork, lamb, and chicken) packed that way. If you let the meat sit for 15-30 minutes it goes away.

I guess it’s always possible it is spoiled, but the rotten egg smell thing is VERY common with Cryovac packaged meat.

Thanks!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
maladat nailed it.

I panicked a little when I opened the first whole packer brisket I had purchased. It was no where near the sell by date, but did have that smell. The internet said it was normal, I rinsed it, and the smell disappeared as I was trimming it. That was three years ago and we’re still alive.

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soak it in water and rinse for 1/2-day or, whole day before cooking.

The meat is injected with the brining solution (corned) which is loaded with nitrates. Combine that with the packaging process that maladat pointed out, and it's not a mystery why certain people find corned beef repulsive.

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I threw away a pound of ground beef not too long ago, for the same reason. I would describe it as more of a methane smell, something like flatulence, but perhaps describing it as sulfurous or "rotten egg" would have been more accurate. It was ground beef that they pack in those tubes. The meat looked perfectly fine, pink as could be, but the wife and I decided on even bothering to cook it. I hate to waste food but the other tubes I'd bought didn't have this smell.

Posts: 107773 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew they do that with beef for packaging purposes but your nose knows best. If it is questionable, I am likely to toss it.

Posts: 6918 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

three years ago and we’re still alive.
You're living on borrowed time. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30756 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s true, but I’m not holding my breath waiting for it either. Smile

If the smell goes away after 10-15 minutes, then the meat is fine. If the smell gets worse, then throw it away.

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in doubt, throw it out.

Posts: 17157 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
When in doubt, throw it out.

I agree! Your nose is your first line of defense. However I’ve heaved my share of sandwich meat because it felt slimy.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always notice the smell in vacuum packed ribs and pork butts as it's part of the packaging process. Just rinse and let sit for a few minutes. I've never heard of packaged burger that Para described to have that odor and I would pitch it the same.

Posts: 938 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If the package bloats up like a roadkill deer plus smell, it’s too far gone.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
What a timely thread as I just bought a package of corned beef at Kroger for 40% off, on after St Patrick sale! First time ever trying packaged corned beef. I'll rinse it well and maybe let it air but if it smells odd it'll still get cooked, but it'll be for my dog.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post