SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A cold, snowy Sunday dinner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A cold, snowy Sunday dinner Login/Join 
posted
As many of you may have heard, we in the "wet" side of Washington state have had all of our precipitation fall over the last week in crystal form. It cleared out last night and got down to 16°F last night. So outside I have 12" of snow on the ground with temps now holding at around 27°F today (I KNOW it's much colder in much of the country, I was stationed in Minot, ND). But for around here it's cold.

A few weeks ago the local market had "buy one, get one of equal or lesser value for free", on chuck roasts. These were monsters! I got a 5½ lb. roast, and a 4½ roast for around $37 for both. Took the big one out a few days ago to thaw to make pot roast today for dinner. This is the recipe I use:

https://www.farmgirlgourmet.co...t-roast-in-slow.html

I follow the recipe as is, except for the last 1½ hours of cooking I add quartered Yukon Gold potatoes, and the last ½ hour of cooking, fresh green beans. When this is cooking during the day the aroma throughout the house is heavenly. I use Carlo Rossi "Paisano" wine in the recipe, although burgundy would be good too.

Onion, garlic, tomato paste, and the spices cooking in the bacon drippings:

The massive chuck roast with salt & pepper:

Seared roast on top of the onion/spice mix, with bacon on top:

Wine boiling on the stove:

UPDATE: Under 2 hours to go. Added potatoes:

FINAL UPDATE: On the plate:

Protection not needed (devoured in just a few minutes Big Grin )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sgt Neutron,

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dis gon' be guuudddd!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yum. Needs Protection!

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post