SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable air conditioner for the office.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable air conditioner for the office. Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
I lost the "Thermostat War" at work, and it's set at least five degrees higher than I'd like. Would appreciate recommendations for a small reliable unit I can place under my desk to keep cooler.

Oh, and it'd be nice if it's not too noisy. Smile

Posts: 2665 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not given up that fight yet, but it's two wimmen against me. Really, seventy-frickin-five degrees? I turn it down to 72 as a compromise (I'd prefer 68), and they turn on space heaters. In SUMMER!

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
Maybe something like this?

Dyson Fan

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I have not given up that fight yet, but it's two wimmen against me. Really, seventy-frickin-five degrees? I turn it down to 72 as a compromise (I'd prefer 68), and they turn on space heaters. In SUMMER!

Happens all the time when you have multiple women with only one stat.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think what you’re looking for is made in a traditional sense. A true AC unit will require ducting outside and a place to run a condensate line to. Not really something that will fit under a desk. You could always duct the warmer air into their office Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thermostat Lock Box

Get a thermostat lock box.

It has a pretty self-explanatory name. A thermostat lockbox or a thermostat guard is a box with a lock and a key that secures your thermostat and prevents anyone from fiddling with it.

Does that sound like a crude way to deal with the problem? Just lock the thermostat away?

It may seem like one. But it is an inexpensive solution to a very common problem. The other way is to upgrade to a tamper proof thermostat itself which will make you poorer by a few thousand dollars at least.

For what it’s worth, you are not the only one who’s facing the problem. Thermostat lock boxes are becoming a common fixture in many homes and commercial establishments around the world.

They are frequently used in

Rented properties
Hotels
Offices
Healthcare centers
Schools
Colleges
Supermarkets
Restaurants
Dorms

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
In the early 1960s, my department was in the first wave to move into the brand new Bell Labs building in Holmdel NJ. A feature of the building was two sets of ducts running through the building, on with hot air and the other with cool air (I forget what the temperatures were).

A thermostat in each working area -- offices, conference rooms, etc. -- adjusted the mix of warm and cool air for that workspace.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I wish I can set it to 65 and lock it up, but I don't have the authority to do it. Why is it so hard to convince them it's much simpler for them to get warmer, then it is for me to get cooler? All they had to do is put on a coat. I cannot wear a wife-beater and shorts to work. Mad

I'll make do with a fan, but not one that costs $640! Eek

Posts: 2665 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as seen on tv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiBxsDh8sc

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arc...Seen-on-TV/601533073

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54711 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Thermostats have calibration adjustments. I'd think a smart and knowledgeable guy could, with a few minutes and a small screwdriver, be able to adjust things so that the nominal apparent temperature set point was slightly skewed from actual.

And, tell your co-workers to put their underwear back on!

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My AC guy told me that a local bowling alley had a problem with people constantly setting and resetting the thermostat. Putting a lock on it did not work. Tampered with first week. He left the old thermostats in place but disconnected them. Another thermostat was installed in a secure area which controlled the system.

He got compliments from all the customers on the ambient temperature being just right. Most of this stuff is psychological.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post