SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I vant to bite your neck! or, 'Don't screw around with rabies'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I vant to bite your neck! or, 'Don't screw around with rabies' Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://apnews.com/article/hea...c2edb335412d11255635

Illinois man dies of rabies after apparent bat bite

The man’s name was not released. Officials said he was in his 80s and lived in Lake County.

He woke up in mid-August and found a bat on his neck. This could happen to anyone

The bat was captured and later tested positive for rabies. The man declined to begin post-exposure rabies treatment, health officials said. Dumbass. Double supersonic dumbass.

Something similar happened to a young boy in Florida, not so long ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/health...cratched-by-sick-bat

Henry Roque had found a rabid bat, put it in a bucket and told his son not to touch it, but Ryker did anyway, and was scratched.

The father said he washed Ryker’s wound but didn’t take his son to the hospital because he cried when he told him he’d have to get shots.

Dammit. Just, dammit.

Post exposure treatment works.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
If you wake up and there is a bat in the room, get to an ER. Bat bites can be so miniscule that they are not noticed by the victim. There is a book that describes the history of rabies going back to before the middle ages. There are major cultural issues surrounding the disease. The book is titled Rabid. It is relevant to what we are experiencing with COVID because it ultimately describes how the rabies vaccine was developed by Pasteur. There is no cure for rabies once the patient becomes symptomatic and is 100% fatal.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I remember a report of a man and woman who had bats in their house. They would let the bats lick them. Both got rabies, at least one died.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rabies is so close to 100% fatal that the difference doesn't matter.

But it is totally curable if treated early.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to a friendly neighborhood dog named Tag and a noisy next door neighbor, I got to go through the rabies series when I was 8 years old.
They isolated the dog and went ahead and started the shots just in case the dog had rabies. Murphy's law prevailed. 15 in the stomach.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
15 in the stomach.

That's the old treatment.

Its not that obnoxious now.

The actual rabies infection is still obnoxious.

Get the post-exposure treatment.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
get your cats vaccinated too.

my vet said he sees about 2 cats per year with Rabies.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You only have 2 choices. Pick one. Be in a room with 10 covid sickened folks or in one with a bat overnight. No treatment. Only folks who are tired of living would pick number two.

Q

Posts: 26392 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what is the current rabies treatment?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/index.html

They give you a big shot of "Human Rabies Immune Globulin" (basically rabies antibodies) and four doses of rabies vaccine over a two-week period.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

RBIG + Vaccination series.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
Grandson woke up with a bat in his room, took him to Doctor and he said don’t even take a chance.
6 shots and Grandson said it wasn’t bad.

----------------------------------------
NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 1467 | Location: Northeast,Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I fear a rabid animal's bite much more than being mugged. One of the main reasons I carry a pistol everyday, when I go walking, last thing I want is to be bitten by a rabid animal.
But I have argued with medical people, yes getting bitten Is a transmitter, but if you even handle a rabid animal unknowingly, you could possibly contract rabies. By saliva, the animal could have licked on their fur.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I fear a rabid animal's bite much more than being mugged. One of the main reasons I carry a pistol everyday, when I go walking, last thing I want is to be bitten by a rabid animal.
But I have argued with medical people, yes getting bitten Is a transmitter, but if you even handle a rabid animal unknowingly, you could possibly contract rabies. By saliva, the animal could have licked on their fur.

My cat is a former feral/stray. After catching her in fall of '19 to finish raising her feral little bastards Big Grin (They convert real easily) her release time after surgery was close to winter here and she got real appreciative of indoor life during northern winters.

Now I do let her out spring-fall during nice days and put water outside for her. I always bring her and the water in by dusk so the water is not shared w/ bats. That's my biggest fear even though she has the shot.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
He woke up in mid-August and found a bat on his neck.

If he was bitten on the neck, the rabies didn't take long to kill him. There is a much shorter distance for the virus to make its way to the brain than if he'd been bitten on, say, a finger.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The physical effects of the disease are so terrible, and infection so certain, that Pasteur's researchers kept a pistol at hand for themselves in the event they were bitten by an infected lab animal. It is a horrible disease.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My sister had a bat in the house one morning and her entire family had to get rabies treatment. Not fun but they are alive.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yep.

People think nothing will kill them in this era of modern medicine and vaccinations?

Reminds me of the "Sweating Sickness" in England c.1500. Predominantly well-off dying within hours of symptoms. Cromwell's wife and two daughters included. The disease came and went; science is baffled but thinks it a hantavirus of unknown strain and origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweating_sickness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Hall

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post