SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What sort of trim strip am I looking for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sort of trim strip am I looking for? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Our home gym is currently carpeted. I am going to cut out a section of the carpet and install 3/4” rubber mats.
3 sides will butt up against the wall and will receive quarter round to the base board trim.
One side will butt up to the carpet so I need some sort of T strip (I made that up) that will cover the seam where the carpet and the rubber mats will meet.
There will be about 15’ of seam where the carpet meets the rubber.
I also presume I should use some sort of serious carpet tape under the edge of the carpet to keep it from moving.
What is the name of the trim strip I am looking for?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Look for a carpet to tile transition strip.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are looking for transition strips.

They come in various designs for different uses.

Google carpet transition strips and see if any are to your liking.

One style will go over both the mat and the carpet another will butt the mat and have teeth to hold the carpet but does not hold the Mat.

One model does look like a T.

Lots of colors and designs

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I think you would want to use tackstrip to secure the carpet. Assuming we're talking about some that is installed over carpet pad currently.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
I think you would want to use tackstrip to secure the carpet. Assuming we're talking about some that is installed over carpet pad currently.

Wouldn’t the transition have to be pretty wide to cover a tack strip? The area of the transition will be walked on. Not likening the idea of stepping on the tack strip.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post

I get that you are going to rubber mat, the concept is the same and I doubt there is a carpet to rubber mat transition.

There are carpet to tile transitions.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need some sort of T strip (I made that up

Actually my dad taught me this:
as·tra·gal
NOUN
a convex molding or wooden strip across a surface or separating panels, typically semicircular in cross-section.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That video is pretty good but instead of cutting the carpet and tucking it you need a Z strip. Just what it sounds like a flexible metal strip kind of Z shaped. One end gets nailed under tack strip. Then the carpet is “folded” under edge of Z strip and you use hammer and a punch to flatten down the carpet and Z strip. The rolled edge now is flush with your other floor and it won’t come up. Z strip.

My dad was an actual carpet layer. Old school, not the kind you generally get nowadays. That’s the correct way to do it. The extra step is worth it.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traffic master is one of the major manufacturers of transition strips.

Home Depot stocks a lot of it on their products on their website.

The flooring company I used to buy from is out of business.

I don't think they sell direct.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
1) What is the subfloor? Concrete, wood sheeting, etc? A T strip isn't what you seek, it requires a slot to fit into.

A good source for advice would be the carpeting department at the box store - they will have examples on the shelf. I've been using extruded aluminum when it goes from carpet to vinyl. A tile to vinyl got wood as there was a slight step up. Commercial carpet (not fluffy) sometimes gets a heavy vinyl strip. There's about a dozen to choose from.

2) In the building trades an astragal is normally the strip applied to a set of doors, vertically, to seal the gap. Exterior it's also a weatherstrip. Interior - like a pair of cabinet doors with no face panel between, it's a wood strip applied behind attached to one door. I used to sell those for metal and wood commercial doors.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Ours has rubber thick enough to just lay down itself by gravity. The carpet has a usual edge piece next to it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s not a T strip, it’s a Z strip. Shaped exactly like it sounds. Z not T. One end under tack strip. Perfect edge transition every time.

Google Z strip or Z bar. Should be thin aluminum strip.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post