SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Furnace filters and MERV ratings - 8 vs 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Furnace filters and MERV ratings - 8 vs 11 Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
We finally got new Carrier AC and furnace to replace our original 26 year old still working Carrier units. Everything is working great but have a question about filters. Old furnace used 1 inch thick 16X25 filters and I used the basic cheap pleated one from Menards. New furnace, Carrier Performance 80 110BTU, has a big filter box that takes 20X25 filters. Installer put Best Air 20X25X4 Merv 8 in it but looks like it will take 20X25X5 size too.

I noticed Menards sells the Best Air, and other, brands of 20X25X4 filters. The Best Air MERV 8 is $22 and the MERV 11 is $24. Anyone have any experiences using such and have an opinion of MERV 8 VS MERV 11 as is it worth the extra couple bucks?. We do have pet birds and rabbits so I am thinking of trying the MERV 11. I understand filter airflow resistance increases as MERV rating goes up. Furnace has variable speed ECM motor so I am thinking it would not be an issue and Carrier sells and air filtration unit that they recommend using MERV 8 or 11 with. Air flow using AC currently is very impressive with new furnace and much much better than the old furnace. I plan on changing filter at least twice a year and more often if needed.

Thanks for sharing of any experiences or advice.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We are required to use MERV 11 or higher in the HAVC systems we build for our ENERGY STAR homes so it must be a good idea. Just be certain to change your filter monthly.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We are required to use MERV 11 or higher in the HAVC systems we build for our ENERGY STAR homes so it must be a good idea. Just be certain to change your filter monthly.

Thanks for the info. Do MERV 11 filters require changing more often than MERV 8 filters for the 20X25X4 inch size? Our system was installed by Carrier Factory authorized dealer with certified techs and they recommended twice a year starting point for changes.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 inch and 5 inch are often the same. Check actual dimensions. Your furnace should notify when it needs new filter. I change mine every 6 months. To extend the life, vacuum monthly the dirty side

Posts: 1481 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
4 inch and 5 inch are often the same. Check actual dimensions. Your furnace should notify when it needs new filter. I change mine every 6 months. To extend the life, vacuum monthly the dirty side

Thanks for that info. I did notice the Best Air is only 3.5 inches thick. I remember tech showing me the Honeywell Pro T4 thermostat and saying something about filter notifications. I will check that out. I already vacuumed the back side of the filter once as with the increased blower volume some big chunks of dust were in it. I will probably change the first filter pretty soon.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You don't need to change these big cartridge filters as much as the old thin ones.

My HVAC guy just put in a new Lennox system and it's got the really fat filter too, he told me to change every 6 months.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I use the Trion 20" x 25" x 5" Air Bear Cub Replacement Filter because that's what my furnace came with.

I've tried both the MERV 8 and the MERV 11. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference.

I buy them from a local plumbing A/C supply place, but SupplyHouse has them online:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Tr...ement-Filter-MERV-11

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You don't need to change these big cartridge filters as much as the old thin ones.

My HVAC guy just put in a new Lennox system and it's got the really fat filter too, he told me to change every 6 months.

Thanks, that is what I was told too.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I use the Trion 20" x 25" x 5" Air Bear Cub Replacement Filter because that's what my furnace came with.

I've tried both the MERV 8 and the MERV 11. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference.

I buy them from a local plumbing A/C supply place, but SupplyHouse has them online:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Tr...ement-Filter-MERV-11

Great info Chellim1. I think I will get a MERV 11 to try out since it is only $2 more. I can't see going any higher than MERV 11 for my situation unless there is widespread threats of anthrax terrorist attacks.