SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cheap and easy home monitoring camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap and easy home monitoring camera Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Thought I'd pass this along just in case anyone else is looking for a similar solution.

I was looking for a simple, inexpensive, way that I could look in on my hound when I'm away from home. I had no interest in installing any 'security systems' for such a simple purpose, and Alexa and Google Assistant will never be a part of our home. Anyway, this little Wyze camera was recommended to me by a friend who was using one as a baby monitor.

For $25 bucks I thought I'd give it a try. Long story short, this thing is the bee's knees. Easy setup, very nice 1080 picture quality, decent night vision, and a nice cellphone app. I tossed it up on the wall up against the ceiling over the door leading into my home office (aka Lou's Lair), ran through the setup to get it on my WiFi network, and now I can check in on the hairy beast whenever I want during the day. I didn't setup any notifications or modify other settings (though there are those capabilities) given I just want to run a live feed from time to time.

At any rate, if you're looking for a cheap but good/capable little camera to use in your home, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have three Wyze cams at home. My experiences haven't all been so rosy. Yes, they are inexpensive, but I haven't seen much reliability. The one at my front door can't go more than a few days without a reboot.

I also dislike the lack of support for monitoring on other than mobile devices. They would be much more useful for me were there a macOS viewer.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... this is something I've been looking for as well.

In Oz, the Wyze is around AUD$90. It is a better choice than proliferating the interior with security system, when like you, all I want to do is monitor an interior area.

Whole house exterior is something else.

Thanks!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I also dislike the lack of support for monitoring on other than mobile devices. They would be much more useful for me were there a macOS viewer.
Agreed. It is a con that there isn't web access to the cams. However, there is a workaround for us PC users, though its a bit cumbersome. I installed "BlueStacks" on my desktop PC which is an Android emulator, then installed the Wyze phone app in it. It seems to work just fine, but a dedicated Wyze app would be better. But again, you're getting a really good little camera 'with' phone monitoring capability for ~$25, so I think a little give and take is required.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
How is it used as a baby monitor?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of them at my business and they work great.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I bought one at Micro Center in Cincinnati. It is a real value IMO.

I am the least technologically inclined person on planet Earth, and I was able to set it up. I can check it on my phone from anywhere.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
How is it used as a baby monitor?
They use it in conjunction with a basic baby monitor to look in on the little ankle biter when she cries rather than walking into the room and creating a response from the kid.