SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this real or fake?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this real or fake? Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Used to stuff about 17,000 lbs/2600 gallons in my F-4E in less than 15 minutes at 35 PSI flow from a 4 inch hose.

That's pushing some fuel.

Also had F-15 external centerline/wing tank stand pipes break a time or two, and you end up with quite the puddle in a few seconds it takes to shut the fuel truck down.

And listening to the static electricity generated by the fuel flowing. (very loud in the external tanks), made you very aware of the potential for a bad day.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^hehehehe yeah two ships I was on invariably had a fuel leak while at the pier……nothing like a four inch hose separating from the standpipe and quick detached coupler.

By the time the truck turns off the pump there’s a diesel fuel spill the size of a football field under and on the pier.

Happened at least once a year

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Ridiculous. Only the government can get away with doing that shit once or more a year.

I've watched fuel hoses separate during underway replenishment between MSC (Military Sealift Command) ships. Hundreds of gallons of diesel spraying into the Mediterranean and it's just like "oops." Just put a single drop in the water (or even on the dock) in the civilian world and your life just became a massive headache. Hundreds of gallons? Better start thinking about a new career.

Bunkering is a stressful time. Loading #2 diesel at over 45,000 gallons per hour doesn't leave room for mistakes out here.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
……nothing like a four inch hose separating from the standpipe and quick detached coupler.

An EOLAWKI Water Wiggle.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Also had F-15 external centerline/wing tank stand pipes break a time or two,

Is that a rigid pipe or a flexible hose?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I'd believe it. We where leaving for a weekend away and stopped at the Love's by our place. I began pumping and turned my back and walked back towards my open drivers door. I began to notice that my back was getting wet only to turn around and discover the hose had a hole in it which was spraying fuel out. Due to it flowing there wasn't pressure, however when I stopped the hold open it was a whole other ball game. Fuel was spraying a good 10-12 feet up in the air at an impressive rate for the small hole. I got covered and so did our vehicle. It smelled like fuel for the next week.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The ARMY doesn't fuck around with fuel spills.

Some jackass back at Ft Hood once had us park an entire company of M1 Tanks with full fuel tanks on a incline on the side of a road, and every damn one of them leaked mogas from one of the rear corner fuel ports on the downhill side.

They made us dig up and bag every bit of that soil then take it to the incinerator on base.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:..
Is that a rigid pipe or a flexible hose?

The standpipes are a hard plastic, with a ribbed apex (triangle) that allowed fuel to flow through the standpipe it protrudes from the top of the tank and pushes up against a spring-loaded valve in the pylon. When there is no tank, or the tank is jettisoned, the valve shut. (a smaller pipe and valve provide pressure/venting)

In the late 80s we had several standpipe failures with a specific valve on the F-15. The valve was made by J.C. Carter.

The problem valve standpipe plastic was deficient and when the fuel flow pressure from refueling trucks was above 25 PSI (typical flow was at 35 psi) the valve could oscillate and sort of "water hammer" effect and break the apex. If that happened, you would hear a loud bang, and fuel would stop flowing into the tank, but in some cases, the standpipe cracked alone the length as well and would blow out and you would have a great deal of fuel, and the valve would be stuck open with the fuel in the aircraft draining under the pressure of the weight of several thousand pounds and the tank too heave to drop on the tank dolly, so fire equipment dispatched, Safety, Quality Assurance, and a whole lot of other folks show up to watch the show.

I identified the valve after the third occurrence and an Urgent Action TCTO (Time Compliance Technical Order) was generated to inspect and remove pylons with that specific valve, from service. But it was exciting during refuels for a short time. (I was ramp supervisor for the F-15 flight)

In the interim, refueling was limited to 20 PSI to prevent incidents.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I learned about gas pumps the hard way. Someone had managed to jam the pump handle in the compressed position, I guess as a prank. I picked up the nozzle, flipped the pump on and turned towards my car. Half way there the pump came on and gas shot over my car a good 10+ feet away. I quickly turned and jammed it in the fill. Only to then realize I was in the opening , but not in the fill spout. The gas was just pumping down inside the fender. I then got it in the fill pipe and was able to un-jam the mechanism. Gas was EVERYWHERE! Many many gallons on the ground, on my car and down in my car.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post