SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this real or fake?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this real or fake? Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
I'm leaning to faked as I can't see a gas pump with that much pressure. And I sure am not gonna go try it out either!

https://i.imgur.com/EbsmZnK.mp4

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Oh, it's real...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Eh, I could believe it. They have a fairly high rate of transfer, given the diameter. I could certainly I could see a commercial diesel pump putting out that kind of pressure.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It could be real, when I calibrated gas pumps there were some that could really spray if you opened it up all the way!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Completely believable. Next time you fill a five gallon gas can pay attention to just how strong the flow rate is.

Posts: 7071 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy to overfill my motorcycle tank unless I watch the flow like a hawk.
And our would be victim was lucky the whole damn area did not torch off him, the scumbags and both vehicles.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That’s what it looks like when I fill the two motorcycle gas cans I have.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Imagine the 911 call:
'If you stop them and they are soaked with gasoline, you got the right ones.'

Too bad he couldn't light 'em up in their van without burning down the station and his own car.
I have found that I am getting more and more Old Testament when it comes to thieves and murderers.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Imagine the 911 call:
If you stop them and they are soaked with gasoline, you got the right ones.

Cop pulls van over, tells occupants to step out of vehicle, one guy starts to run.

Cop: "TASER! TASER! TASER!"

Whooooomp!!!

Cop: "Holy Smoke!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cop pulls van over, tells occupants to step out of vehicle, one guy starts to run.

Cop: "TASER! TASER! TASER!"

Whooooomp!!!

^^^
There it is.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can personally attest that this will happen if one is not careful at the pumps.

Long story short, Aug 1st 1990, super hot/humid along the Ohio River in Metropolis IL. I'm pumping gas into a 1980 International Scout II, beautiful beast, which makes this story sadder. I'm 16, my buddy goes in an buys lighter, he comes back out and stops approx 15 ft (police officer used one of those little wheel distance calculators for the police report) he says "This lighter doesn't work".......then it did. It ignited the fumes in the air and came straight too me. I covered my face with my arms.....while still holding the gas nozzle on full bore!! Biggest freaking flame I've ever personally been around!! The fire burnt all the hair off my legs/arms, singed my eyebrows, had some 2nd degree burns, but overall very lucky to be alive. Ever since then I've been very anal about people smoking at the gas pumps. I've got pics I'll try to upload.

Found a black and white photo that the local paper printed:

Untitled by Nick Murray, on Flickr

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I read the US limits the flow to 10 gpm, although filling the truck it seems a little lower than that. I don't know what pressure they run but in that size pipe 40-50 psi should get that flow. Given that, with the right nozzle, gas at 50 psi and 10 gpm should squirt pretty good.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
At one point in my banking career, I had a client who owned a bulk fuel business. One day I decided to make a call to his business. He was in the process of loading up his bulk truck with gas - - with a cigarette in his mouth. I turned around and said I would call on him at another time. Crazy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, gas had some poop! Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
When I was pumping gas back in the late 70’s
Prior to self serve, the flow rates were higher.

I believe they are regulated for use by the inexperienced. No latch for the handles either.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Whomever was holding the hose, I give them bonus points for thinking on their feet with a pretty impressive reaction time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks real to me. I remember when I was 16 and working a summer at a gas station and I hear a guy yelling outside. He had the pump handle in his hand and it was spewing like that. I hit the pump E-stop from the cash register.

Turns out some asshole pulled the handle to max and locked it in the detent so when this guy activated the pump it started up full force. A much more dangerous version of the unscrew the lid of the salt shaker prank.

Extra points if the guy in the video pulled out a lighter and turned it into a flamethrower.

Incidentally, flamethrowers are perfectly legal and uncontrolled. Local gunshop had some in stock. No idea what I'd do with it, but the guy melting the snow on his driveway instead of shoveling it had a good idea...

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Incidentally, flamethrowers are perfectly legal and uncontrolled. Local gunshop had some in stock. No idea what I'd do with it, but the guy melting the snow on his driveway instead of shoveling it had a good idea...
Unless he didn't get the driveway completely dry and the thin layer of water refroze.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started working as a gas pump jockey in 1971. Back when cars typically got 8 mpg the gas tanks were really big, an Olds 98 could have a 26 gallon tank. Since Self Service was illegal at the time the pumps were set up to do a fillup FAST. Compared to pumps today back in the 70's and today's pumps are slow. Back then you could probably fountain gas 20 feet or more straight up.

BTW, at that time Octron (the regular) cost 37.9 cents per gallon and 5 dollars of gas was 13.2 gallons. If you were good the drill was to insert nozzle and set it to high and proceed to clean the windshield, rear glass, and drivers side mirror while asking if you could check the oil. Get all this done without running the gas over 5 dollars and you got an imaginary gold star.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post