SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last Update: My boys think they run great w/pic. Buying used jet skis from a private party, should I insist on a sea trial?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Update: My boys think they run great w/pic. Buying used jet skis from a private party, should I insist on a sea trial? Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t buy jet skiis, dirt bikes, crotch rockets without a test ride. They are toys and usually ridden hard but if you ride it and break it you buy it

Posts: 2305 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Definitely test ride, but as the buyer expect cash in hand to do so. When I sell a motorcycle the buyer hands me cash to test ride, if he wrecks it then the deal is done.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6303 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let’s pretend I have no clue how this works, mostly because I don’t. I show up in a somewhat remote part of Florida with 185 $100 bills and do what? How do I protect myself?

I've done deals for cash. It does make one nervous. I've had an armed friend standing and watching.

If you're going to do any negotiation, it's easier with cash than with a pre-printed cashiers check.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
You absolutely need to be able to take them for a ride. If they're on a lake, where are you going to go?

There are a lot of things you can only see, feel, or hear if you're actually on the machine.

I think it would be fair to agree to an area to stay in during the trial and if he wants to accompany you on the other machine that seems like it would be fine too.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take it for a test ride before you buy, or pass, no way to tell if there's any issues just by hearing it run or watching someone else ride it. I can understand the sellers reluctance to allow test rides but there's got to be a middle ground if he wants to sell his jet skis. If you're serious about buying and the only thing stopping you is a test ride make that clear to the seller, have cash in hand when you take the test ride and make sure the seller has the titles in hand. If he's still refusing a test ride I'd just pass and find someone selling jet skis that's a little more flexible.

Posts: 1624 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I show up in a somewhat remote part of Florida with 185 $100 bills and do what? How do I protect myself?

It's Florida, bring a gun, bring two guns, bring some SF friends with guns, everybody brings a gun!

Big Grin

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I have a 2019 FX SVHO. What you need to do is have them towed up to your local Yamaha powersports dealership. Let a mechanic check them both out. I just went through this same discussion with a friend looking to buy a 450 MX bike. Take them to a Yamaha shop and let their ski mechanic inspect them up and down. They will inspect the hull as well. If you can afford a couple of skis you can afford to drop a few hundred to make sure they are legit. If you’re lucky it was some clown who bought them during Covid because they were bored. Seeing a lot of this. 2019 and the years before it, ski sales (and boat sales), were both down here, hard. Same goes for MX bikes, etc. Covid hit, and my dealer couldn’t keep anything on the floor. So hopefully it’s someone who bought them thinking it was a good idea at the time, and is tired of paying for them or wants the $ to buy something on impulse. Good luck.

That is sound advice. Way more than you can tell from a ride.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Let’s pretend I have no clue how this works, mostly because I don’t. I show up in a somewhat remote part of Florida with 185 $100 bills and do what? How do I protect myself?
I've done deals for cash. It does make one nervous. I've had an armed friend standing and watching.
I did that, one time, when I was buying something in a somewhat spotty Detroit neighborhood.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just don't go all Captain Queeg on 'em. Leave the ball bearings at home and don't mention the strawberries.

Posts: 107471 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I did that, one time, when I was buying something in a somewhat spotty Detroit neighborhood.

Me and a buddy went to look at a dirt bike in eastern NC. We were both cops so both armed. When we met the guy, Tim asked for a test ride. Tim Handed the guy his license. Rode around a Walmart parking lot, i called in the numbers to see if it was stolen-it wasn’t,money was handed over and we went on our way.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just don't go all Captain Queeg on 'em. Leave the ball bearings at home and don't mention the strawberries.
I promise not to fill the jet skis up with sand.

Posts: 10900 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Having a mechanic look at them is a great idea, but they are all booked a month and a half out.

Other than a compression check and checking the supercharger’s clutch, I’m not sure there’s anything a mechanic would catch that I wouldn’t. I’m fairly sure clutch or compression issues would be revealed during a test ride as they won’t hit the speed and RPMs at WOT that they should.

I’ll be armed of course, but everyone I know is too young, too old, or has to work. Besides, I’m fairly certain you aren’t allowed to shoot someone because they walked off with a wad of cash you willingly and freely handed to them.

I’d buy new, but with all the fees being tacked on the prices are crazy. As an example, Riva Motorsports in Miami quoted me $13,600 out the door for a 2022 with a list price of $9,999. The local place quoted me $10,700 for the same machine.

I’ll be looking at the used ones tomorrow morning.

Posts: 10900 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a lot depends on the overall context of the deal. These are 2 year old quality brand ski's with only 100 hours. If they are on a lift sitting next to a beautiful well maintained $120,000 Cobalt boat in front of a $1,000,000 lake house, with no visible evidence of neglect or abuse on the hull. If they start, run and sound good on the lift. If the guy is willing to ride them in front of you. I would be willing to make a judgment call based on all the above and make a purchase. Depending on the kind of lift they are on you can probably actually run them up pretty high while on the lift.

I have sold two jet skis, a Cobalt boat, and 4 or 5 motorcycles without giving test rides.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Very true. One picture shows them on a trailer in a nice garage. Nice because the floor is checker board epoxy. Another picture shows them on a lift in a covered boathouse.

That’s how I bought our 26’ Formula. Ten years old, 46 hours, and immaculate. The owners were a working couple from near Detroit and had weekend home on Lake Huron "up North”. Their kids were grown and had moved to other parts of the country, so the boat didn’t get used. I was basing my decision on who they seemed to be as much as the boat itself. He also had a really nice deuce and a half in his garage.

I’m guessing once we meet in person, he’ll ok the test ride.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m all set, but they guy has the titles at his other house in Naples.

He wants to give me a bill of sale and mail the titles to me.

This is a no go, correct? I can verfy the titles online, but there’s no way I should paying for them with out getting the titles at the same time, correct?

I haven’t driven out there yet. I’ve asked if he can get duplicates or alternatively, I could follow him down to Naples to retrieve the titles.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If you think the guy is on the up and up then a bill of sale, copy of his driver's license, and taking physical control/ownership of the jet skis would be sufficient I would think.

Or you could withhold some cash until you get them.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In some states they don't even title boats, not surprising they do in FL. Unless he can give a current pic of them in his hands I'd be concerned they are actually held by a bank and pass on the deal.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12395 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
That's a valid point. Why not wait another week for him to come back with the titles.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most titles now in FL are electronic, it would be surprising to find anyone with the hard copies, you have to request them to be printed then you lose the e-title option.

If I sold the Truck or motorcycle I don't have a title to hand the buyer, it would be a bill of sale and they would request a new title at a tag agency.

IF you have the bill of sale, jet skis, trailer etc and his ID matches the titles then it's just up to you to decide if you want to do the deal.

YOu probably already checked this out but

Link on FL Vessel Titles

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
He says he has the physical titles, they’re just at his house in Naples. I think with a HIN (hull identification number) I can verify the titles online. So maybe a bill of sale will be good enough?

I’ve asked if there’s any liens and if he is the sole owner, but he has yet to respond. We’ve been texting the whole time.

I’ll check that with my SeaDoo when I get home. I offered waiting until he has them in hand as well.