SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speaking of Social Security, of those over 62, when did you start to claim and why? Any regrets?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of Social Security, of those over 62, when did you start to claim and why? Any regrets? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll have any problems. Feel free to email me as I just went through the process. Maybe I can help in some way.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, it may be that I don't need to take any action at all, but I'll need to know for certain, of course. I'll call the SSA on Monday and see if I can get a straight answer.
Perhaps this will be useful: How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That page lead me to this:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Corrected Card for a U.S. Born Adult

We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver's license;
State-issued non-driver identification card; or
U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents. Any documents submitted, including the following, must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph:

Employee identification card;
School identification card;
Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
U.S. military identification card.

The DL is the only thing I'll be able to show them, and in order to do that, I will need to get my DL name corrected, so, we're back to that. I suppose it doesn't mention a birth certificate since the assumption is the name you're trying to correct would not be on that document.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
You don't need to submit a drivers license to file for Social Security Benefits. You never did.
Thank you, but is it not an issue that my Social Security number is associated with my middle name only- and a shortened version of it at that? Would this not be in impediment when applying for SS benefits? All mail I receive from the SSA has my middle name and last name. My first name appears nowhere in it.

All of the stuff about correcting the name on my DL- which has first name, middle initial and last name- was in an effort to get the SSA to correct the name my SS# has been associated with since I got it in the 1970s.

If you tell me that I will be able to file for SS benefits under my middle name only, then there's no problem. Otherwise, what do I need to do?

If I understand you correctly, the issue is the name on your SSN is recorded as your legal middle name and your last name. Your legal first name is omitted (from the name on your SSN). So you need a name correction. Not a name change. That's a little more complex that a simple name change. I do believe you may be able to resolve this with the documents that you have currently. But I can't guarantee this.

To understand the issues, start with this link: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

Next read this link: https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01981

What you are describing sounds like what I would say is a major name discrepancy between your legal name and the name attached to your SSN. Thats because your first name on your SSN record (which is actually your middle name) is different than the first name on your birth certificate (your legal name). So read this link next: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0200302470

This can be fixed. I wish I could tell you that you could resolve this with a phone call, but I would visit the SSA office to resolve this.

There are other links in the references I gave you that you should check out such as what documents you will need.

General rules:
1. Bring original documents. All documents will be returned to you immediately.
2. Never ever visit an SSA office on a Monday. Worse yet, never visit on a Tuesday after a Monday federal holiday.
3. Make it clear to the representative that you are there for a name correction, not a name change. You therefore have no name change documents. Then explain about the omitted first name from your original SSN record.
4. I believe you should be able to resolve this with one visit. However, if there is an unresolved issue (I don't think there will be), it's the representative's responsibility to explain exactly what's needed to resolve it.

Feel free to post any follow up questions. I will be glad to assist.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you. One last question for you, Fed161, since you would know best of anyone in this thread- is my birth certificate alone sufficient to resolve this? From the start I've known I will have to visit an SSA office in person, but I really would like to avoid dealing with the DMV/DDS.

The POMS page you pointed me to talks about "NUMIDENT" and "OCRO fields"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you. One last question for you, Fed161, since you would know best of anyone in this thread- is my birth certificate alone sufficient to resolve this? From the start I've known I will have to visit an SSA office in person, but I really would like to avoid dealing with the DMV/DDS.

The POMS page you pointed me to talks about "NUMIDENT" and "OCRO fields"

NUMIDENT is internal jargon for the name attached to your SSN. The OCRO reference you can ignore (Office of Central Records Operations).
Besides your B/C, you do need to submit ID as you know. If your D/L has your legal first name (meaning the name on your B/C) and your last name - and it's obvious that when the application for your SSN was filed, the middle name was used as the first name. I think you will be OK. At least it's worth a shot. I retired 5 years ago, so who knows if anything has changed. I will say that all of the links I provided are current.

Let us know how you make out please.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo!

Any day you don't have to vist the DMV is a good day.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For thse of you who filed for your benfits online, what were you required to provide in the way of identification, if anything?

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I signed up online for Social Security, I turned 65 last November, so now it's been 5 months. I had signed up for Medicare a couple of months before that. Never darkened the doors of any goverment building not did I have to call them.

I do not have any issues at all with anything, everything just worked. In fact I was impressed how well and quickly everything worked. I don't recall having to provide anything as far as documentation. I assume the government already knew everything about me and they were satisfied with it.

I did have to make sure of my credit unions routing number to sign up for direct deposit, no big deal. Everything else just clicked right along.

SS deposit #6 will come in April.

Good luck to you, I don't think you'll have any troubles.

FWIW the only troubles I had was getting my new drivers license, the REAL ID one, late last summer. That was a pain in the butt. Additional documentation, another new certified birth certificate (the one the state gave me some years back was certified by the state, but they required a new one (cost me $40 bucks!) because the official paper now is fancy schmancy, this and that, run the gauntlet.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I've had the online account for years. Ten? I never went to an office to get the online account, and I don't recall having to provide any ID online like a photo of my driver license.

To file to receive benefits I just did it online in that account. Easy peasy. Provide bank info where to have it deposited, and done.

Posts: 9463 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woo hoo!

Any day you don't have to vist the DMV is a good day.

A few weeks ago, I went to the Ft Worth S.S. office to get a replacement card and to inquire about getting benefits later this year. It was like the DMV, had to sign in on a tablet like device, get a number, and wearing a mask was mandatory since they were going by federal govt. guidelines. It sucked, waiting for 45 minutes wearing a mask. The gal who helped me was actually very nice and efficient, got my instructions to create an online account. And when I'm ready to apply for benefits, just go online 1-2 months before to fill out the application process.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Like Gene and FlySig, I didn't have to provide any information about me. Like them, I've had an online account with sea.gov for many years.

The online application isn't too bad to fill out, though as I may have mentioned before, I called them a couple of times to clarify some things.

Coincidentally, just today I received my paper copy of my acceptance letter in the mail.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38693 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The online form asks for full name, I'm sure, and therein lies the problem for me, I think.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You're probably right. As Fed161 said, might be worth getting into your local SS office and do the name alteration. If you don't and apply online using the name as printed on your SS card, it might be okay....maybe? Dealing with something as important as this, I think I'd make the visit.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If I listed my middle name as my first name on the application, I would be guilty of providing falsified information to a Federal agency.

I'll need to take my birth certificate to an SSA office and get the name corrected and only then begin the application process.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Let us know how you make out. I hope it's easier than expected.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
This may seem obvious, but I’m asking anyway.

My sister turns 63 soon, she has a type of blood cancer where the doctor(Mayo) gives her 5-8 years, maybe less. I told her she should take SS at the 63 mark. She also has a small pension, less if she takes it before 65, but it’s available now also.

Being 63 with a life expectancy of 6+/- more years it doesn’t seem worth putting it off. She would still work a few years, lower pay, but have health insurance through that.

I told her, worst case, she takes it now then lives longer than expected.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your reasoning makes sense.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Hopefully she beats the odds!

The break even point is about 14 years. If she lives beyond that, her total SS is less if she takes it now.

But, that does not consider a few factors.

First, if she does not spend it now she can invest it now. She can expect an average investment gain of about 5% per year, obviously depending on the economy and what she invests in. The point is if she lets it grow in a good mutual fund (nothing risky or exotic) then the break even might be meaningless.

Second, whatever she takes now is real, and she can enjoy it while healthy, and pass whatever is left over to her heirs to enjoy. For all of us, our health declines with age and we have less ability to enjoy the $ with travel or providing family experiences. The math is not a factor in this point, it is the enjoyment which could be gained. We took it at 62 for this reason even though we are healthy. We can provide fun for our kids and grandkids now, and when we're 90 we won't be skiing or surfing with them.

Another factor would be taxes and how it meshes with her other income. This is where a CPA can crunch numbers, but I depart from accountants with these things. Given her shorter life expectancy, focusing on nearer term good things makes sense to me even if there is some math showing more dollars at the end of some time frame.

Best wishes to her and you.

Posts: 9463 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post