Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat Eyes Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I have never noticed the difference in the pupils of cats till I took the two photos below. Photos were taken about two weeks apart and I put them together in Photoshop. It is the same cat in both photos. What do those eyes mean?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
the left picture is taken in brighter light than the right one

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Cats have "vertical" pupils. Most mammals have round pupils.

The difference are likely from difference in light.
Cat's pupils will also widen before they pounce.

And also change from a good dose of catnip.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Both photos taken on a cloudy day with the cat facing the same direction.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The pupils of eyes (not just cats, yours too) can change in size (dilation) in response to many stimuli, not just the intensity of ambient light. Strong emotion such as fear, surprise, or anger, predation mode, signals of trust and bonding, can all trigger eyes to widen or narrow.

It's just more obvious with cats since their pupils can close down to thin vertical slits, while other animals like us maintain a round pupil no matter the size.

(And there's reasons for that as well: cats have vertical slits so they can acquire prey way above them even though they are low to the ground. Humans evolved round pupils as they learned to stand upright, thus getting a better overall view of the environment, i.e. the "big picture".)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16959 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For the pic on the right:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ16H0hsQiQ

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More cat eye info:
Cats have a hidden third eyelid called a Nictating Membrane which helps to protect the eye.
If this third eyelid becomes partially closed, its a sign your cat may have a health issue.
Also, if your cats pupils are different in size, go to your Vet ASAP. It could mean a stroke or other emergency.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is our 2 rescue cats don't understand that I can't see in the dark. They have a tendency to lay in the middle of the hall at night and think I can see them. They've trained me to turn a light on.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Good looking kitty.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The first picture is of the cat thinking about food.

The second picture is of the cat thinking you have food.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Light differences are the most likely culprit, but stress and adrenaline play a part too. Ever watch a cats eyes when they're jacked up? Their pupils can almost appear round when they're uber-focused.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Left pic cat is content. Right pic cat is focused on something he might want to kill.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Both photos taken on a cloudy day with the cat facing the same direction.

Same light conditions to YOUR eyes.

Remember, that little joker can see in the dark. So his ability to detect light changes and adjust are WAY better than yours.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6626 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned before...light or excitement.

https://www.foundanimals.org/eyes-know-cat-thinking/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
... Strong emotion such as fear, surprise, or anger, predation mode, signals of trust and bonding, can all trigger eyes to widen or narrow...

kkina nailed it.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Some humans have cat pupils. It's a little odd when you notice it. A mutation of some sort.

Also remember that cats only really see motion, not still shots, so they will move their heads around at time to create motion in their field of view. When hunting they remain still so any motion by the prey stands out. And that's one of the reasons prey becomes motionless when scared.

Look up the acuity of cat senses - vision, hearing, and smell - puts human senses to shame. And a dog's sense of smell puts cats to shame.

Posts: 4963 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
It's just more obvious with cats since their pupils can close down to thin vertical slits, while other animals like us maintain a round pupil no matter the size.
<snip>

Goats have horizontal pupils:

www.google.com/amp/s/www.zmesc...tangular-pupils/amp/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
The left picture the cat is deciding how to kill you. On the right he has decided how to kill you and is now deciding when to act. I wouldn't go to sleep without locking you bedroom door.Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
<snip>
<snip>

Goats have horizontal pupils:

www.google.com/amp/s/www.zmesc...tangular-pupils/amp/

Yep, knew that. Goats have pupils in landscape mode so as to scan for predators in a wide view.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16959 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
The cat in the photos in my first post comes from a few houses away and it is the only cat in the neighborhood that will not run from me. Won’t let me get close unless I have food in my hand and I have been giving him snacks. I only have a few photos of him, so the difference in his eyes was noticeable right away when I saw the photos.

I recently lost my cat just one month short of his 15th birthday and I have over 2700 photos of him, not counting the photos with other cats that he was friends with and I went thru a lot of them yesterday and had trouble finding photos of his eyes when they were not slits. He was a sweetheart of a cat with a temperament and personality that is hard to come by in a cat, which was the only reason I ended up adopting him from my neighbor when he was just shy of his second birthday. He slept on my bed with me and the bedroom is still empty. In all those years, I never noticed his eyes going from slits to round. Now I wish he was still alive so I could study his eyes, something I never did.

I did Google this subject, but I thought it could be a good discussion here.

---------------
Gary