SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prescription medication poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prescription medication poll Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I am on 2 prescription medications. Both for diabetes. No high blood pressure, etc etc etc. I am 84, and still splitting wood for our wood stove. I do not buy firewood as we have adequate hardwood trees on our property, and the property is large enough that wife and I will both be gone long before we run out of firewood.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:

Actually you are correct. I remember reading an article that stated they are finding that a slightly elevated BP is good for older people and helping them live much longer and other benefits. God Bless !!! Smile

My BP runs 145 or so over 85-ish, which is indeed slightly elevated over the "ideal" of 120/80

My doctor is fine with that.

My HDL/LDL was somewhat elevated, but more importantly the ratio was AWFUL. Given my genetic inheritance (both parents, all grandparents died at 70 or earlier with either strokes or heart attacks) it was considered vital that I get it under control.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15270 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One only: Lisinopril, 5mg, for mildly-high BP.

W/o Lisinopril my BP can run as high as 150/90. W/Lisinopril it stays down to no more than ±130/75. Often stays around 120/70, which I regard as ideal.

Had I followed various doctors' recommendations I'd be on another three: Some-or-another kind of evil anti-depressant (for which I've long since outgrown the need), enlarged prostate (which I solved with Saw Palmetto), and low-T (which I solved with another herbal supplement).

I had no objection to the Lisinopri, because, as pharmaceuticals go, it's quite benign.

But the testosterone supplementation and prostrate drugs? Nope. And the psychoactive "anti-depressants?" Not. A. Chance. In. Hell!

I am not getting on the endless drugs to fix the side-effects from drugs prescribed to fix the side-effects from drugs prescribed to ameliorate the side-effects from drugs that were prescribed to... ad nauseam.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
FWIW 140/90 is considered fine for no meds there’s days. The notes on the prescription I never took say I may lower my dose accordingly and stop if I’m averaging 140/90.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of me thinks it great that 1/3 of the people responding are fine, just fine.
That's
Good to see.

But I wonder how many of those should actually be on a pill or two.
Please consider getting a check up or two.

I waited two years too long

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
8 different prescriptions. 5 of those I take twice daily. One of those I take multiple pills to make the total dosage. In addition to those I take a prescription dose of potassium.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
20mg of Lisinopril once daily, 1000mg of Metformin twice daily, 20mg Glipizide twice daily, 65 units of Lantus nightly.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Part of me thinks it great that 1/3 of the people responding are fine, just fine.
That's
Good to see.

But I wonder how many of those should actually be on a pill or two.
Please consider getting a check up or two.

I waited two years too long

I'm surprised this even comes up, but then I guess I shouldn't be.

Mrs. Flash and I are in our 70s and we take nothing. BP is great, cholesterol is great, everything else is great.

DNA is everything.

Full disclosure: My doctor said I should be on cholesterol medication.

Why? Because my LDL is 130

But what he seems to ignore is that my HDL is 99

Personally I think you'd have to be nuts to take statins with the numbers I have because the downside is greater than the upside, but what do I know?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

DNA is everything.

This….in spades!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I take 6 prescriptions daily. Two are narcotics for chronic back pain.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three of the six that I take caution about drowsyness .
I hate that.

I am pretty tired of functioning at 2/3 power.

If I am having a great productive day,
I have to check to see if I forgot a round of meds

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I take none, but I do have a couple of issues for which they might be appropriate.

Posts: 27991 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my medications have side effects that I counteract with supplements. For example, Omeprezole treats the constant burning in my gut (Barrett's esophagus)but depletes calcium and vitamin D, so I take both as a supplement. I was on a drug for prostate issues, but was advised saw palmetto had the same effect without the cancer causing additives.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So , not really that many of us ready for the heap at this point.
Unless Asia cuts off our medications supply

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
The VA "doc", and by that I mean a nurse, has prescribed several daily pills. I don't take any of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
No prescription meds. Zero. At my last check up, my PCP told me to just keep on doing what I am doing (I don't smoke cigarettes, I'm not fat and I go to the gym weekly).

I take ibuprofen as needed for arthritis from decades of moving heavy stuff, living an active life and jujitsu. Loratadine as needed for seasonal allergy.

I'm 64, the wife is 63 and the same as me in regards to meds.

Posts: 11230 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post