SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prescription medication poll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prescription medication poll Login/Join 
posted
Years ago I found out that most here are not good sleepers.

Now Iam wondering about our health.

Question:
How many physician prescribed meds do you take on a daily basis ?

Not o.t.c. meds
Not vitamins

Thanks in advance

Choices:
No prescribed meds daily here
One pill only
2 pills
Three pills
Up to 4 pills
5 pills
Six pills daily
7 pills for me
Eight pills
More than right pills

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's supposed to be
More than eight pills
At the bottom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Besides insulin, which is not in pill form, I just take a 5mg cholesterol pill. My LDL wasn’t even high, my doc just wants to be ‘preventative’.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17298 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
That's supposed to be
More than right pills
At the bottom

Aight.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
At the high end with 8. Takes up two shelves in my medicine cabinet. Half of them for my heart.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16385 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Besides insulin, which is not in pill form, I just take a 5mg cholesterol pill. My LDL wasn’t even high, my doc just wants to be ‘preventative’.

Similarly, my preventative migraine medicine is a monthly injection, though we're looking at moving to a quarterly IV infusion instead. Thankfully I'm not diabetic.

I'm on a few more medications though, mostly to deal with my back and arms. To that end I'm on 3 medications that actually count.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
None.

I take:
1 Prilosec OTC
1 Aleve 12 hr
1 Zyrtec
in the morning.

Every once in a while I will take 2 Advil if pain is too much, but that is about every other month or so.

I have observed many people that start getting on a "prescription plan" driven by their GP, end up with a kitchen table full of orange bottles and living on other people's calendars until the cat gets them...

There is a shovel in the garage, and a piece of paper with an X, marking a spot in the back of the property.

When I smell worse then the cat's litter box or the wet beagle on a hot summer afternoon, you'll know it's time, and what to do...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm 84 years old and have more doctors than I can count on one hand. All of them have prescribed various drugs for me to take. I won't bother to list them all here, but, including some OTC supplements I take about 20 pills daily, half before bed and half at midday--5 are taken twice a day. So far it seems to be working. I'm still above ground and still taking tours.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Arthritis started for me during the Covid lockdown in 2020. Now I’m taking Meloxicam, Leflunomide and Prednisone daily. I hate that I have to do it but the arthritis is finally under control.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m convinced my mom stroked and has dementia because of all the pills she was prescribed. I do not trust most meds for blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes. I won’t take any. When my doctor suggested them, I instead improved my health.

Other than propanolol when I need to do public speaking no pills for me. I’m amazed a doctor would prescribe a cholesterol drug that isn’t needed as a “preventative”. That screams corrupt pill pusher to me.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
BP and Cholesterol meds, both of which were necessary and the numbers prove they're working.

I know what you mean tho. That older couple that count on me to help them maintain their independence (they really SHOULD be in assisted living) have a kitchen counter that would shame a well-stocked pharmacy.

A few days ago, I took him to the hospital for a CT scan and a neurological consult about the fractured C5 in his neck. Not only is it not healing, it's getting worse. Doc checked his med list and asked about the prednisone he was taking. He had no idea why it had been prescribed. Got him home and his wife had no idea either. "He's been taking it for a long time."

Doc says it inhibits bone healing, if he doesn't need it, take him off it. Plus I was under the impression that steroids were NOT intended to be a long term med.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15270 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
No pills here. Cholesterol was getting high. Diet changed slightly. Exercise more. It seems to be under control.

I would be hard pressed to take pills if I can change my habits to keep off them.

I can’t sleep because my lower back hurts. I wake up 4-6 hours after I fall asleep. Time to sit with the heating pad for a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in my mid 60s. No pills yet. But if I went to see my Doctor, I would not be surprised to find out he wants to prescribe something. I just dont want to get on that train.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'll be 75 next month and the only prescribed pill I take is for my BP and I've been taking it for about 10 years now. That pill actually works.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5049 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
BP, statin & singulair. All because of the stroke. I have neither high BP or high cholesterol and the singulair opens arteries (apparently I have small ones in my head)

When my first brain doctor told me to take them I asked why? She said for the side effects of preventing future strokes, and she added that she would take them were she in my shoes.

I’ve had 3 brain docs since then and the other two agreed.

I also take a migraine med as needed….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think age factors in pretty heavily. After that you have the almost nothing meds to the extreme types.

So far haven’t needed any.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
BP and Cholesterol meds, both of which were necessary and the numbers prove they're working.

I know what you mean tho. That older couple that count on me to help them maintain their independence (they really SHOULD be in assisted living) have a kitchen counter that would shame a well-stocked pharmacy.

A few days ago, I took him to the hospital for a CT scan and a neurological consult about the fractured C5 in his neck. Not only is it not healing, it's getting worse. Doc checked his med list and asked about the prednisone he was taking. He had no idea why it had been prescribed. Got him home and his wife had no idea either. "He's been taking it for a long time."

Doc says it inhibits bone healing, if he doesn't need it, take him off it. Plus I was under the impression that steroids were NOT intended to be a long term med.

Just my opinion based on my research and we all make choices for ourselves. But the numbers to me are just that, numbers. I’ve not seen evidence they help one live longer. If our BP is high, it’s for a reason. The body is trying to get more blood moved and it’s being restricted. Lowering BP gives a good number but you’ve now cut blood flow to somewhere it may be needed. Cholesterol numbers to me are an overall scam to sell drugs. Again just my opinion.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
No medication of any kind here, for me or Mrs. Flash.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Just my opinion based on my research and we all make choices for ourselves. But the numbers to me are just that, numbers. I’ve not seen evidence they help one live longer. If our BP is high, it’s for a reason. The body is trying to get more blood moved and it’s being restricted. Lowering BP gives a good number but you’ve now cut blood flow to somewhere it may be needed. Cholesterol numbers to me are an overall scam to sell drugs. Again just my opinion.

Actually you are correct. I remember reading an article that stated they are finding that a slightly elevated BP is good for older people and helping them live much longer and other benefits. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
5, all related to heart issues. and several OTC .

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post