SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last Civil War pensioner dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Civil War pensioner dies Login/Join 
posted
Well, that's amazing. Never would have thunk it:

"The last person to receive a US government pension from the American civil war has died.

Irene Triplett was 90 when she died last Sunday in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Her father, Mose Triplett, fought for the Confederacy and the Union in the civil war, which began in 1861 and ended with the defeat of the slave power in 1865. He applied for his Union pension 20 years after the war and in 1930, when his daughter was born, he was 83."

https://www.military.com/off-d...pension-dies-90.html

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Link doesn't work

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Works for me.

Cool story. There must have been more than a few young women that married old veterans for the financial security of a military pension and then had children with them. Lot's of testosterone back then.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

Lot's of testosterone back then.
Far less preservative in the sausage, I imagine.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
As explained in the article, in the Great Depression there were men whose sole attractive feature was their Civil War pension—-well maybe also their advanced age and the likelihood the “union” if you’ll pardon the pun would not last long. Wife was a poor, probably mentally disabled girl who would no longer be a burden to her parents.
Interesting the daughter—subject of the article—hated living with her odd couple parents.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Works for me.

Cool story. There must have been more than a few young women that married old veterans for the financial security of a military pension and then had children with them. Lot's of testosterone back then.

or lack capability to do dna testing. Razz

Posts: 2543 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
It was very common for young girls -- not always the prettiest or most marriageable in the village -- to marry old civil war veterans almost as a duty to take care of them in old age and incidentally to benefit from their pensions, which would then support her when she became a widow. The last civil war veteran died in 1956! This is why there were confederate widows homes in the South at least into the 1980's. These small pensions at least provided something, during good times and bad. It is not clear how the pension transferred to the daughter in this case, but her mother was probably very young when she married the old vet.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Wow

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
All together, the family collected $73.13 for 155 years, for a grand total of $136,021. Not a lot when you think about it.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wait, the man became a father at 83?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up the next county over from wilks, and i had a few Triplett's in high school, i wonder if they were related...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
All together, the family collected $73.13 for 155 years, for a grand total of $136,021. Not a lot when you think about it.

$73.13 in 1913 (48 years after the pension started) was worth the equivalent to $1,893 today.

Inflation calculators don't go back much further, but reading an old census suggested that a family earning $100/ month in 1900 was doing well.

Inflation is a bitch.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Her father, Mose Triplett, fought on both sides of the Civil War, first as a rebel and later as a Yankee. Mose realized he was on the losing side after falling ill before the Battle of Gettysburg. Almost 92% of his unit, the 26th North Carolina Infantry, was wiped out in the fighting.

Facinating story.

Complete guess on my part, but maybe Irene was determined to be mentally disabled and as a result was allowed to inherit her father's pension upon the death of her mother.

I don't know this for certain, but I assume that if pensioner dies with minor children, the minor children are entitled to the pension until they reach the age of majority.

If the child is determined to be mentally or physically disabled, then the child may be entitled to the pension for her or his remaining life.

It is still incredible to think that the lady was the daughter of a Civil War veteran.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post