SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paging Anyone Involved In Venture Capital or Private Equity Funding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Anyone Involved In Venture Capital or Private Equity Funding Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I have a couple of questions about current practices. Email is in profile.

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I have a couple of questions about current practices. Email is in profile.

Thanks.

A

If you are being pitched, run it by 2-3 professionals, including a securities lawyer and a competent CPA. Be prepared to lose what you invest. PE can be a very good investment, but many PE investments are failures. There is usually zero liquidity, and there can be unpleasant tax issues, even if the investment does not work out.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am a corporate lawyer with a background in securities law, and am fairly well versed in the technical aspects of the VC universe, and staying out of trouble with the SEC. I am out of date on what is considered normal for fees, equity kickers and the like for deal participants.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I am a corporate lawyer with a background in securities law, and am fairly well versed in the technical aspects of the VC universe, and staying out of trouble with the SEC. I am out of date on what is considered normal for fees, equity kickers and the like for deal participants.

OK, you are on top of it! Every deal is different and often fees are negotiable. I do not think I can add much more, given your experience. You might consider calling a few major IBs and asking to speak with someone in the alternatives dept. They can send you materials to study, that will include current fees and risks.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much.

A