SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on watches
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on watches Login/Join 
posted
Haven't worn a watch in probably 25 yrs. Inexpensive ones when I did (casio).
Getting the urge to buy something nice. Not really an every day watch.

Looked at a few, Armitron. Leather band, but doesn't seem to hug the wrist very well.

They also carry Fossil and Skagen.
I kind of liked the Skagen 6450 m. Has the extra dials for day and date.

Wondered if it was a good watch and if the band would pull on arm hairs?

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Skangen is just a "fashion" watch.
Chinese made with Miyota garbage movements.
I've had to repair a few of them. Avoid it.

Fossil has invested in Swiss watch manufacturing and has really stepped up their game.

I prefer an steel bracelet worn a little loose so it will flow over the wrist.
The leather will have to get "worn in" to hug your wrist correctly as it's kinda stiff at first.

How much do you want to spend?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I cam maybe advise a bit in fit considerations. Of the ones you've tried that fit well, what were the size? What size is your wrist circumference?

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
What knowledge do you seek? What is the goal of the watch (something to show status, something to please you, something to please others, a conversation starter)? Do you want solar, battery, hand wound, or automatic? Do you want day, day/date, or none? Do you want chronograph, tachymeter, or a rotating bezel? Do you need it for elegant occasions, a trip to the swanps, or a day with the family?

Like pretty much any other item, you can buy in any price range, any reliability level, any functional level, and any of many styles.

For me, I buy watches I like. I don't need something thst is atomic clock accurate. I also like watches that aren't necessarily popular.

Finding "your" watch is some of the fun.

It does tend to turn addictive somewhere along the way.

I used to be intimidated by the "watch thread," now I admire what is there and have even shared some of my photos (which is like of like parking a yugo next to a Bentley, but no one ridiculed me out of the thread Smile ).

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
No mechanical watches at the moment but a few quartz. Nearly never worn. The ability to tell time is outweighed by the hassle of that thing strapped to my wrist.

My truck clock goes blank when a Bluetooth call comes thru the system, and I keep a watch in the truck for road trips. But lately have not bothered using it.

The last time I used a watch regularly I kept it strapped to a beach chair. And wore it at night in case my better awoke at the vacation rental and wanted to know the time. Big Grin

But in general, I use a leather strap in winter and keep it more snug. The metal links the other three seasons, and keep it loose.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift...

quote:
I used to be intimidated by the "watch thread," now I admire what is there and have even shared some of my photos (which is like of like parking a yugo next to a Bentley, but no one ridiculed me out of the thread Smile ).

My experiences with watch fanatics have all been positive. They don't care if you have a $1.00 watch or a $1,000,000.00 watch they are happy to just share their passion/fanaticism/obsession with you. Anyone who has the "sickness" is welcome.

Eventually you will find yourself noticing and admiring watches "in the wild," in movies, and TV shows.

FFIPS questions above are spot on. Ask yourself those, and you will be well on your way.

Good luck.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My watch is a casio model. Battery powered (and the battery lasts for YEARS. Never have to adjust it. Replaced the battery a few months ago. First time ever. Probably 8+ years. Does the daylight savings time "correction" automatically. I seem to recall that it adjusts time for time zone changes as well.

I paid about 70 bucks for it. Love it. Almost never take it off.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Leather band, but doesn't seem to hug the wrist very well...

They also carry Fossil and Skagen.
I kind of liked the Skagen 6450 m. Has the extra dials for day and date.

Wondered if it was a good watch and if the band would pull on arm hairs?

I like leather band, but have an allergy to the tanning chemicals used in *some* of them. Unfortunately I never know which ones until it is too late. Leather does fit better over time. I primarily wear metal bands and find that good quality ones do not often pull on arm hair. I get more surprise tugs from my rubber band on my outdoors/exercise watch.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I like mechanical watches. They are marvels of engineering. Most quartz watches, electric watches are nothing special. You get what you pay for usually. Sounds like you’d be happy with a nice Ball or Breitling.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I've learned a lot from going down this youtube rabbit hole:

https://m.youtube.com/user/theurbangentry

Prefer accuracy over appearances myself, so just cheap digitals mostly for me.
Watch nuts do seem to be much less uppity than other collector types. Smile

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I actually like Dakota watches. Have had one for over 5 years, and it keeps excellent time. Replaced battery once so far.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I've learned a lot from going down this youtube rabbit hole:

https://m.youtube.com/user/theurbangentry

Prefer accuracy over appearances myself, so just cheap digitals mostly for me.
Watch nuts do seem to be much less uppity than other collector types. Smile

TGV hasn’t posted a new video in months last time I looked. I think he got in trouble due to copyright violations of something. Anyway, a good channel to learn from.

Take a look at Hamilton’s Khaki King’s. Great watches sub $500.

If you want to try something old but different you can get a semi custom Seiko SKX007 with your choice of sapphire crystals, watch hands, lumed ceramic bezel, strap/bracelet etc from longislandwatch.com.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Email David Truong from our forum. He’s a Citizen dealer and has great prices. Just let him know you’re from Sigforum.

http://mimisjewelryinc.com/

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't post a price range but Citizen, Seiko and Swatch all make entry level watches but are quality brands that extend up the price bracket.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
You may want to think of a style of watch. Tool, dress or field come to mind there are others. Pick a manufacture you like at your price point.
https://www.watch-rankings.com/watch-rankings/. (It’s just a link to show there are a lot of manufactures. Take it with a grain of salt)
Frankly I don’t know a lot about watches I like a field or military watch. There is a lot of brands that make them. Hamilton or Marathon for example. I like the big numbers that are easy to read. Oris, Ball or IWC make similar styles.
Leather straps are cheaper but may need replacement over time. Bracelet metal style can stretch.
Mechanical vs quartz.....it goes on and on
get what you like that doesn’t put a hole in your pocket.

https://www.hodinkee.com/

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a nice used Rolex. It will actually appreciate in value as time goes on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I like mechanical watches. They are marvels of engineering. Most quartz watches, electric watches are nothing special. You get what you pay for usually. Sounds like you’d be happy with a nice Ball or Breitling.

I love the automatics as well, but would say that some of the high accuracy quartz watches are also marvels of engineering!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shop at Jomashop.com
Join watchuseek.com

Lots of good watches and advice.
Go for Seiko for about $150 you can have a mechanical diver’s watch.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Careful - watches can be a very expensive interest!

I happen to like mechanical watches over quartz watches. There are many fine companies making many fine watches.

Before we start talking brands and models, ask yourself what you want in a watch. Is it for daily wear? Work or special occasions only? Are there any functions or features you want? How about watch size?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big watch snob, so I don't spend a lot of money on my watches, but any watch I wear MUST keep accurate time, must be waterproof & pretty much indestructible. My son is always asking me why I care about knowing the absolute correct time, since I'm retired. I don't know.

My everyday watch that I wear 95% of the time & takes a hell of a beating is a G-Shock GW-6900. It's solar powered & connects to a satellite each night & adjusts to the official time. It also has a button operated light, so I can see what time it is when I have to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

My "dress" watch is a fairly plain Citizen Eco-Drive. It's also solar powered & according to the official atomic clock on the Naval Observatory web site it looses 15 seconds per month. I can live with that.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post