SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner struggles to kick out strangers from her home - another adverse possession case with a twist
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner struggles to kick out strangers from her home - another adverse possession case with a twist Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
didn't the 'renter' know it was a scam and 'rented' anyway?

They are usually way below market rent. The renters have to know somethings up but know it's a free ride for a while.
Boot them out quickly and word would get around and solve this problem.

Not really...like I said, in NC they get booted out on the spot. That still doesn't deter the scammers. And the scammers start with $3,000 (deposit and 1st month's rent) and commonly get another month or more before the jig is up. I remember one that lasted 6 months. I think she was out $12 grand. She had a family of 4 and was living in a $400,000+ house until the absentee owner showed up.

And these slimy cocksuckers are crafty. They show the house, wearing a suit and providing a realtor business card. They have the new resident sign a lease, and provide some BS story about why the rent is lower than market. Then they hand over the keys (after they broke in and changed the locks) and walk away with cash.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
“We’re not squatters. We have documents. We have keys,” said the mother of two.

How do the scammers get keys to hand over?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Nothing a good axe handle couldn't fix....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forcible entry in thru window/door, unlock door. remove same doors lockset and replace same lockset w/new from hrdwr store . you have keys now from new lockset.

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
forcible entry in thru window/door, unlock door. remove same doors lockset and replace same lockset w/new from hrdwr store . you have keys now from new lockset.

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

Since the article mentioned a broken window and the squatters reluctance to leave it is apparent to me they broke in, replaced the locks and made up the story about renting. I think investing in a Simplisafe alarm would prevent this. Once they broke in the Police would respond and promptly arrest them. It would be immediately known once they broke the window and would happen long before anyone could change locks. A couple hundred dollar investment in an alarm and $20 a month is well worth it to prevent this.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post