SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a recommendation for free website creation software.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a recommendation for free website creation software. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
My tacky web pages are developed in a word processor (Open Office) and while they get the information across, they aren't very visually appealing.

I want to take it up a notch, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing it or try to do it in HTML. Just as importantly, I don't want to get inundated with ads, subscriptions and junk mail.

Is WIX any good? Wordpress? Some other program?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Webflow gets good reviews but there's a steep learning curve. I use WordPress but am thinking of switching to Hugo. I get so many hacking attempts on WordPress that it's almost comical.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

The learning curve is an issue, I'm really not up for learning new software.

Ideally, I'd like a drag-and-drop WYSIWYG package. There may not be such a thing.

For now I'll stumble along using my word processor. The results are adequate if not eye-catching.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I used Microsoft Expression years ago. It may still be usable even though it's unsupported. Microsoft Expression Download
*Scroll down to the middle of the page for Download button

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I am not a web guy but I used WIX to make a site for one of my IT clients.
Pretty easy and there are plenty of templates.
I guess it depends on how elaborate a site you need.
WIX is free until you push the site live so you can try it out and see how you like the results.
Not bad really.

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
search for wordpress.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wordpress is really easy. No learning curve. I know it is free if you go through godaddy for hosting.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post