SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Philly's Infamous Wing Bowl Ending After 26 Years
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philly's Infamous Wing Bowl Ending After 26 Years Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
1993-2018 was a good run for wing gorging, bare boobs, strippers, beer and general debauchery early in the morning, but it appears to be over now in the age of #MeToo Frown

I don't buy the official reason given for one second.

quote:

What’s Wing Bowl?
It was an event in Philadelphia started in 1993 by WIP radio hosts Angelo Cataldi and Al Morganti, in which contestants would eat as many chicken wings as they could in a certain amount of time.

Why did they start it in the first place?
It was clear to them the Eagles weren’t making the Super Bowl anytime soon, so they started an event to fill the time for Philly fans. The first one was in a hotel and has since expanded all the way to the Wells Fargo Center.

Why’s it ending?
Cataldi announced on Tuesday morning that the station was ending the event because the Eagles won the Super Bowl and there was no way to top that — you can see him get emotional in the actual announcement in the Facebook video below.

Was that really the reason?
That’s what Cataldi said. But in that same video you’ll hear him mention some less-than-good moments from the event, and that might be part of it: Wing Bowl was also Mardi Gras-like, with a lot of debauchery, early-morning drinking and women not dressed in a lot of clothing. In 2018, perhaps the station realized it was time to put this one in the past.

What is Wing Bowl and why is it ending such a big deal in Philadelphia?

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
All the years we talked about going and we never did, now we never can. Frown

I think you're right, the only reason Cataldi would end the WB would be because he was told he had to.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wing Bowl was also Mardi Gras-like, with a lot of debauchery, early-morning drinking and women not dressed in a lot of clothing..

There's something wrong with that??

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Lots of throwing up too Big Grin

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
It was a Drunken Grope fest loaded with over testoseroned Eagles fans

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post