SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Parents, teach your children playing with fire is a bad idea
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parents, teach your children playing with fire is a bad idea Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
If he lived today, Darwin would get back on the HMS Beagle, return to the Galapagos, burn his ship to the waterline, and hoist plague, small pox, yellow fever quarantine flags.

quote:
Foxnews.com: 'Fire challenge' leaves Michigan girl, 12, with severe burns over half her body

A 12-year-old girl from Detroit, Michigan was hospitalized Friday with severe burns after participating in what her mother called the "fire challenge."

Timiyah Landers was hanging out with two friends at her house when she became "engulfed in flames" after apparently mimicking a video she saw on YouTube, her mother, Brandi Owens, told Fox 2.

Owens heard a small explosion and witnessed her daughter "running up [a] hallway on fire from her knees to her hair."

A new and dangerous "challenge" is making the rounds on social media. But what exactly is the "hot water challenge" and why are people suffering second degree burns and even death over it?

Owens' quick-thinking fiancé directed Timiyah to the bathtub and sprayed her with water. The 12-year-old was then rushed to the hospital, where the family learned more than 49 percent of her body was burned.

The girl's friends said they were participating in the "fire challenge," an internet trend in which people seemingly douse themselves in rubbing alcohol and set themselves on fire. One of the girls said she viewed videos of people taking part in the challenge online.

Timiyah, who was reportedly supposed to start seventh grade in the upcoming weeks, will remain hospitalized for several months. She'll need to have "at least 3 more surgeries" over the course of her long recovery, according to a GoFundMe page set up for the girl.

Owens told Fox 2 parents need to watch their children to make sure they're not partaking in such stunts.

"These kids are trying these YouTube challenges," Owens told Fox 2. "Monitor these kids, especially with these phones and if I could after with this happening, my kids would never be able to be on social media — no more iPhones, nothing."

Last month, a 15-year-old teen suffered second-degree burns to his face and body after his friends allegedly poured boiling hot water on him as he slept in a bid to complete the “Hot Water Challenge," an internet challenge they also learned about on YouTube.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31471 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad story. What the heck is wrong with kids when they think this is a good idea? Who comes up with this stuff?

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Who comes up with this stuff?“

Imbeciles.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw: What the heck is wrong with kids when they think this is a good idea? Who comes up with this stuff?

No kidding. All kids do stupid things, but this generation has taken it to new levels. We used to light stuff on fire, but I don't recall anyone ever doing it to themselves.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Teach your children not to be idiots.

One would figure that's self explanatory; however a good percentage of the 'parents' allow the internet to raise their children, with expected results.

I'm convinced that there are lots of good adults out there who are just crappy parents - not abusive, but just shitty at teaching / monitoring / raising good kids.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
There was a story in the news yesterday - a teen is being charged for pushing her friend off of a 60 ft. cliff into water. her friend suffered a puncture lung, broken ribs, etc. It was meant to be fun/funny.

I hate to generalize, but it seems much of the youth have little concept of actions/consequences. All those participation trophies I guess.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Darwin at work.

Any 12 yo child who would set themselves on fire deserve everything they get. In my day, 12 yo kids were a lot smarter than that.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16722 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Back in my day, we lit matches and burned little things because it was interesting and fun, but we had the sense to not light ourselves on fire. Then my Dad caught me and whipped my ass and I learned my lesson.

WTF is going on?

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
WTF is going on?

Facebook. For starters.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
I hate to generalize, but it seems much of the youth have little concept of actions/consequences.

It's not generalizing, it's true. The part of the brain that helps control emotions and impulsive actions is still developing in teenagers. While I don't think all stupid teen behavior can be blamed on biology, it could certainly be a factor, especially if combined with questionable parenting.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Darwin at work.

Any 12 yo child who would set themselves on fire deserve everything they get. In my day, 12 yo kids were a lot smarter than that.

I did plenty of dumb albeit non-life threatening things as a 12 year old. Today's 12 year olds are equally dumb. However, in today's social media environment, kids see "cool" things online and try to mimic them without fully understanding the consequences. I wouldn't imagine a 12 year old understands the complete danger of rubbing alcohol and its flammability.

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I guess the brainpower at youtube is too busy working on eliminating PragerU videos to worry about child self-immolation videos.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
more and more, kids and teenagers are relying heavily on Youtube for entertainment, education, etc.

and yeah - when I don't know how to fix a car part or neeed to disassemble a dyson vacuum to clean the filters or whatever else I may need to know, chances are there's some youtube video explaining what to do.

young "Youtubers" who make money off of the views are doing more and more stupid stuff to get those views, and the idiots at home are copying them, some making videos of their own.

My son is 8 and loves youtube. We restrict a LOT of youtube viewing - he pretty much only watches it with me. We've had to talk to parents of his friends because they come home and tell us what their friends are watching on youtube and it's not great. And these other parents are "just so shocked that that's even on youtube!" Roll Eyes

But I also don't just tell my kids "no." I talk to my son and explain the why as well. So far, it's worked, and he understands it for the most part. so hopefully when he does watch stupid videos with his friends, he's going to know better than to emulate idiocy.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I can remember as a kid "playing with fire" was when I got a little magnifying glass and held it on a paper until it started to burn.
None of my kids to my knowledge played with fire, but I do not really know.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 12-year-old girl...Timiyah Landers...her mother, Brandi Owens.

Well, there's our first clue

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8361 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
There was a story in the news yesterday - a teen is being charged for pushing her friend off of a 60 ft. cliff into water. her friend suffered a puncture lung, broken ribs, etc. It was meant to be fun/funny.

I hate to generalize, but it seems much of the youth have little concept of actions/consequences. All those participation trophies I guess.

He “friend” has made the rounds of the morning news shows. Her story is “She wanted to jump and she was scared and she had asked me to give her a push," Smith claimed.” Clearly, this is going to be her defense along with not realizing the consequences of the fall.

The victim has a different view “Holgerson said that's a lie.
“Tay’lor was telling lies to national TV," she said. "I confronted her about it and she definitely was lying to me.”
Holgerson said her friendship with Tay'lor Smith is likely over.”

When you watch the video, it’s not a push. It’s a heavy shove that forces the victim forward into a horizontal fall.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Perhaps parents should just deny YouTube access to their children? I doubt there is anything good that can be learned from it that cannot be learned from another source.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
The stupid is strong.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
You can teach your kids a lot of things but, unfortunately, common sense doesn't seem to be one of them.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1867 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
when I was 12 I was trying to turn my 10 speed bicycle from Canadian Tire into an airplane

I always thought fire was for cooking and heating and burning things other than myself...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post