SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ear worms & the absurdity of insurance commercials
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ear worms & the absurdity of insurance commercials Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
Is it just me or are you tired of Flo? Insurance companies have gone crazy with constant themes. Whether it’s Farmers or not to be outdone Liberty mutual with their new ear worm Liberty-liberty-liberty,,liberty. Now they add ridiculous Emu adverts? Are people that foolish that they need an Australian ostrich to remember a brand? After a while, it becomes an assault on the senses...

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I am tired. On the other hand Geico has some pretty funny ones, and they do not run them to death. They sometimes show the lizard too much.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's like an insurance commercial is so easy a caveman could do it.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The Allstate Mr. Mayhem ones are good, but nobody remembers which company.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mayhem, some of the funnier Geico, and some of the JK Simmons I dont mind.

My 7yr old walked around for a couple days repeating: Liberty, Liberty, Liberty...Liberty.
That got old quickly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yep, Allstate w/ Mayhem & Geico get a pass Wink

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the "Limu Emu" thing came about because "LiMu" is the first 2 letters each of "Liberty" and "Mutual", and "Emu" rhymes with it. Clever (sort of) but gets old quickly.

The Flo ad I remember is the one where she says at the end "I think there's something wrong with your sink".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always do like I did, ventilate your cable/satellite box at the range. No more commercials and +-$100 a month for ammo. Big Grin

Posts: 886 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I add to the list of can't stand.....the voice of the blackstone grill guy. Gravelly annoying = mute

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The witness protection ad cracked me up the first few times.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I record nearly everything I want to watch, and zip thru the commercials. Sometimes crappy parts of the content, too.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of ear worms, how about that J. G. Wentworth jingle?

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I actually like the Emu. I loathe all other Liberty commercials, though. It's as if they are targeted at high school dropouts who are too dumb to know about gap coverage.

I love Flo, especially that 1950s-style one where the guy ends up asking "WHERE is your husband?". . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The good news is that these annoying commercials are entirely avoidable.

Stop watching TV. Stop listening to the radio.

Cut the cord.

There are no annoying insurance commercials on Netflix. Or Amazon Prime. Or Youtube (if you use an adblocker). Or nearly all of the streaming video and streaming music apps.

I'll gladly pay $9/month or whatever to not have to have my entertainment interrupted every 3-7 minutes so they can bombard me with annoying commercials.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When you're selling an intensely boring product no one wants to really hear about, but that can be very lucrative, it pays to do whatever it takes tunnel into the heads of potential customers.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
Speaking of ear worms, how about that J. G. Wentworth jingle?
Actually, I enjoy that one if its done by the Wagnerian opera group.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with it or any of these other shows like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc. as I do not watch any TV !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I like most of the Geico and Allstate commercials.

PIE!!! That's how you do it. That one cracks me up. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of these discount insurance companies that are trying to make you laugh or have a catchy jingle are marketing towards people who only care about getting the lowest rate.

If you shop for insurance every 6 months to a year then companies like that want you. These companies turn over like 50% of their customer base every year. When you have that much of a churn, you need to be at or near the front of everyone's mind when they are shopping for insurance.

I work for a small insurance company that turns over less than 10% of their customers a year and guess what....we spend $0 on advertising.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
In the hospital i tried watching TV. But I have forgotten wjat its like to watch tv with commercials!! Holy crap ots bad. So i never did watch anything...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post