Find
Notify
Tools

Soya grass Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
As mentioned in a previous post, we have sold and moved into a new house. The yard is very small, but we have two female Mini Aussie’s and their urine is sooo hard on it. Has anyone used Soya grass in the South (Tennessee). How is it, I need a pee proof yard. So tired of the spots dying. Suggestions, you can find out just about anything here!!!!!
Thanks to all in advance.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
As mentioned in a previous post, we have sold and moved into a new house. The yard is very small, but we have two female Mini Aussie’s and their urine is sooo hard on it. Has anyone used Soya grass in the South (Tennessee). How is it, I need a pee proof yard. So tired of the spots dying. Suggestions, you can find out just about anything here!!!!!

It's Zoysia, not soya. There's no such thing as pee proof grass, but at least Zoysia will fill in bare spots on its own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: houndawg,

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Spread out gypsum. (either the powder or the agricultural type, which is pellets and less dusty)

The salt in the urine (female dogs have a higher content BTW) is what is killing the grass. The gypsum help leech the salt away faster and, has the advantage of amending the soil.

Nothing will be an overnight fix.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a natural area, teach your dogs to use it instead of the grass.

We've done that with all our dogs and it's been wonderful!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know if TN's climate will support it, but here in AZ we have Bermuda grass (a small plot, 1000 sq ft circle). The dogs (1 male, 2 females) all seem to want to pee on the grass, and we never get brown spots from their urine.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I don't know if TN's climate will support it, but here in AZ we have Bermuda grass (a small plot, 1000 sq ft circle). The dogs (1 male, 2 females) all seem to want to pee on the grass, and we never get brown spots from their urine.

Yes, TN's climate will support Bermuda. Bermuda is a common grass used for southern golf course fairways. It fills in fairly quickly, but is harder to control than Zoysia. It will invade areas you don't want it in. On golf courses they often use Zoysia for the fringe to keep the Bermuda from invading the greens since Zoysia isn't as invasive as Bermuda.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
TN appears to be mostly in agricultural hardiness zone 7. Bermuda and Zoysia will survive in zone 7 but will be dormant (brown) 7-8 months of the year. So you'd be trading the occasional brown spot in the yard for an entirely brown yard most of the year. Zoysia also grows so thickly that it is hard to mow, drags on the deck of the mower. Best to mow twice a week when it isn't dormant. Note that golf courses with Bermuda fairways mow every day.

Talk to your county extension agent, they want to help you. They will test your soil, usually for free, and make specific recommendations for grass selection and lawn care options to minimize your problem. In my experience, these are lonely guys who crave human interaction in their area of expertise, and who are delighted to get inquiries from the public. Take them samples of your turf and weeds and they will pee their pants in excitement.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Talk to your county extension agent, they want to help you. They will test your soil, usually for free, and make specific recommendations for grass selection and lawn care options to minimize your problem. In my experience, these are lonely guys who crave human interaction in their area of expertise, and who are delighted to get inquiries from the public.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Our county agent is happily married but glad to help. He has several female assistants who are very well informed.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
Yes, TN's climate will support Bermuda. Bermuda is a common grass used for southern golf course fairways. It fills in fairly quickly, but is harder to control than Zoysia. It will invade areas you don't want it in.

I can attest to its desire to spread. I just finished digging up the Bermuda that had spread outside our 1,000 sq ft circle. Some of the runners, originating from inside the circle, were a couple of feet long.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have a place down on the northern neck of Virginia and when we built it there was no lawn at all, just under brush. We planted Zoysia grass. It filled in very nicely and quickly. It does spread rather quickly. Our neighbor thanked us for reducing his lawn mowing requirements after the Zoysia took over his yard too. Does not get tall and mowing requirements are easy.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Zoysia is a good grass. Slow growing but tough. Shade tolerant in some cases. Best performance will be from laying sod.

Bermuda is a good all-around candidate for any lawn in the south that gets some sunshine.

No such thing as a pee-proof lawn. Walk your dogs more often perhaps....

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the only place I've ever read anything positive about Zoysia Grass besides the ads in the old Parade Magazines that used to come in the Sunday Star Newspaper. All I ever remember hearing about is your neighbors will be pissed off because it will take over their lawn too. And it stays brown 2/3 of the year

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
This is the only place I've ever read anything positive about Zoysia Grass besides the ads in the old Parade Magazines that used to come in the Sunday Star Newspaper. All I ever remember hearing about is your neighbors will be pissed off because it will take over their lawn too. And it stays brown 2/3 of the year

There are different varieties of both Zoysia and Bermuda that stay green longer. Zoysia is preferred in many instances because of its carpet like texture and the fact that it chokes out weeds. In my area, before high schools started going to artificial turf for their football fields, Zoysia was the grass of choice. The main problem with Zoysia is thatch. Many people burn their lawns every few years to get rid of the thatch. I don't think I'd want to do that because of the obvious dangers.

If I had a nicely manicured and well cared for Bluegrass lawn that I put a lot of time and money into, I'd be pissed if the neighbor's Zoysia invaded my yard. If I had a huge lawn (as I do), was constantly reseeding patches with fescue, and fertilizing and weed prevention multiple times per year would cost a fortune, then that patch of Zoysia slowly spreading in the backyard would be welcome.

Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
If you get it in those square sheets, scored into 1 inch plugs, don't plant them upside down like I did.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post