SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Direct TV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct TV Login/Join 
posted
I am only interested in responses from members who currently have Direct TV through AT&T. Bill jumped 34 dollars since a Promotion expired. I have called in the past and gone through quite a hassle but got the bill reduced. I have heard Direct TV is becoming less forthcoming when it comes to this sort of thing. I am not interested in changing service and have been generally happy with the service. Any thoughts from those that have had RECENT experience dealing with these folks. Thanks

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
March/April is when my ATT Unverse Directv discounts went up. They would not come close to what I was paying. Did do the switch to Comcast xfinity

Internet. Far superior and faster
Phone. No difference
Tv. Much more stable than DirecTV. But the menu on DirecTv much more logical. Takes time to figure where Comcast hides channels.

I also did not really want to move but ATT forced the hand

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Direct TV

And I recently talked to them about some additional discounts to reduce the bill and also noticed that they were not very anxious about offering discounts to a long time customer and did not seem to care if I left or not, at this time the wife will not switch so I am stuck with making the empty threats to them.

RC

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer, I don't currently have direct TV but have DirectTV now and do have a lot of experience dealing with AT&T.

As you mentioned, if you call bitch and tell them you'll be looking for alternatives they transfer you to the "retention" rep who will in most cases give you discounts. That sux but it's how it goes.

You might look into DirectTV now which is 100% streaming and less expensive than the wired version and no dish on the roof. The inteface is not as smooth and there is buffering if you've got a slow internet but it's the way things are going. I think AT&T is trying to push people this direction to eventually get out of all the expenses involved in satellite signals.

You might also look at ATT Uverse which will come in via a landline. They might start that out with some good incentives but like the other services they tend to creep up as they get you locked into the service.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
We have Direct TV

And I recently talked to them about some additional discounts to reduce the bill and also noticed that they were not very anxious about offering discounts to a long time customer and did not seem to care if I left or not, at this time the wife will not switch so I am stuck with making the empty threats to them.

I am in a similar boat. Wife loves Directv as she knows how everything works and knows her channels. Switching would result in a string of statements to me about why we had to change so i don't. I also watch my home NFL team with Sunday NFL Ticket and I have no options to watch their games.

Used to ask for "retention" then they would bend over to try to work with you. Not so much now. They are not launching any more satellites and are pushing people to DirectvNow which is streaming from your internet.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
We have Direct TV

I am in a similar boat. Wife loves Directv as she knows how everything works and knows her channels. Switching would result in a string of statements to me about why we had to change so i don't. I also watch my home NFL team with Sunday NFL Ticket and I have no options to watch their games.

Used to ask for "retention" then they would bend over to try to work with you. Not so much now. They are not launching any more satellites and are pushing people to DirectvNow which is streaming from your internet.

I totally understand the "it works, I like it, leave it alone" deal. That's why we have limited Uverse with HBO and Showtime and then DirecTV Now for the other stuff. Sometimes it's just better to spend a few extra bucks and not have hassles. TV is for enjoyment and shouldn't turn into an extended tech learning exercise and inconveniences. Live's too short and you can't take it with you.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We've been with DirecTv for years with most of our favorite channels memorized. We do not like having to deal with ATT, but it's not a regular occurrence.

I'm not sure if the cost went up as my wife handles that, but the inconvenience of switching might make $34 more palatable ($1.00/day).

What isn't going up in cost anymore?

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have been with DirecTV since September 2002. I was, until recently, sitting on two "loyalty" discounts. Both expired. Called twice and they didn't seem to give a rats ass if we kept the service or not. I only keep it now because my wife loves the Korean channels. It seems to me the Customer Service call centers, now that they have been moved off shore don't care.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7270 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
My bill went from 134.00 to 165.00 to 210.00 over a 4 month period. It's almost impossible to get a straight answer from these FUCKS regarding the actual reg. price of services. Every price they show is with a temporary discount applied.

For several reasons, that was the final straw for at&t and Directv.
We switched to one of the internet streaming services with no contract and couldn't be happier.

Here are just a few of the shady/illegal things at&t has done over the past few years.

01. I received a text message from an unknown number. I ONLY read the text message whenever my iPhone unlocked. Just for reading the text message, I was immediately billed 9.95 on my at&t bill and set up for 9.95 per month recurring payment after that for a Joke of the day service.
When i noticed the charges on my bill, I called at&t and told them to remove it at once and if I ever get billed for reading a text message again, I would break my contract, stop my at&t cell service, and they could see me in court.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/b...lement-leads-refunds

02. I called Directv (at&t) about adding an outdoor channel to my package. While on the phone, the Customer Service Rep. said because I have been such a loyal customer, they were going to give me 6 months of HBO and Starz for free. I asked the Customer Rep. if those channels would drop off at the end of the 6 months and he assured me they would. Around 8 months later, I noticed I still had both HBO and Starz. I called Directv and was told I had signed up for these channels.
After 3 to 4 transfers to different departments and a disconnected call, I was finally able to get the charges removed from my bill.

03. I called at&t regarding an issue with my fiber internet service. After getting the issue corrected, the Customer Rep. told me they were going to send me a new upgraded wireless router for free.
I asked the Rep. what the catch was. They said there wasn't one. After continuing to question why they would do this, I discovered there was a 10 per month equipment fee.

At&t and Directv are total shit and some of the folks running that company belong is prison.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4863 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have Direct TV because they have NFL Sunday Ticket. I went to them when we moved into a new house 12 or so years ago. However since ATT bought them, their CS has gone down the crapper. It took 3 unsuccessful calls and was finally able to get another sports package cancelled via internet. Also the first week of the NFL season I was not receiving an out of state game. Was told everything from the team owner did not want the game shown in my area to I should try an antenna for over the air signal that was generating from the Midwest. What a joke!!!! Finally started receiving the game in the 4th qtr. Just be prepared for less than stellar service if you subscribe.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have been with DirecTV for about 12 years now, maybe longer. Wife had a question a few months ago about our bill, she called them, got it straightened out, and they told her they were giving us a 2019 NFL Ticket, just for us having to call AND a thank you for our longevity with them. I believe that is like two, maybe three hundred bucks. Just got an email today saying they were extending their very generous offer for another year. Free NFL Ticket for 2020.

Yeah, you can say we are pretty happy with them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been with them for just over two years now. My intro price expired, and the bill went up by $50+ per month. I called the regular CS number, haggled with them a bit, and when she told me the best deal she could give me was my sports package free for three months ($14 per month), I told her I wanted to cancel. She promptly transferred me to customer retention, who gave me $60 off my current package, per month, for a year. I figure a year from now, I'll be calling back, doing the same dance with them.

Posts: 487 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
I've been with them for just over two years now. My intro price expired, and the bill went up by $50+ per month. I called the regular CS number, haggled with them a bit, and when she told me the best deal she could give me was my sports package free for three months ($14 per month), I told her I wanted to cancel. She promptly transferred me to customer retention, who gave me $60 off my current package, per month, for a year. I figure a year from now, I'll be calling back, doing the same dance with them.

That's what I did as well for a long time. If I told them I was cancelling my service, they would always transfer me to someone who would reinstate the discounts. I had my cell service, Fiber Internet, Directv and a grandfathered pay as you go iPad LTE data plan.

The one service I can't do without is the fiber connection since I work form home part of the time. The good news it our local rural Power Company is also running Fiber to every customer they provide electricity to. Once this is in place, i'll have 2 options for high speed fiber. i'll be dropping at&t for my internet as well.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4863 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We had DirecTv, and like the rest of you who've posted so far, the bill dramatically increased, I would call, and then they would magically reduce the bill.

After a few years we switched to UVerse. Same roller coaster ride there as well. The last time I called the rep told me UVerse was ending and he could switch us back to DirecTv at a lower cost with more channels.

So now we've been with DirecTv for a few years again and the same darn roller coaster for pricing. I call, they drop the bill, then shortly thereafter it goes up again, etc.

For the first 6 months this year I had to call them monthly because what the person the month prior told me turned out to be a lie as to the billed amount. I refused to pay the "extra" so ATT gladly added a $9.25 late fee to every bill.

Finally found the President of ATTs contact info on the internet and sent a letter with the date, time, name of each person I had spoken to over those 6 months along with a mini-summary of the details of the phone call.

Next thing I know a woman in the "office of the President" calls. Go over everything and magically she erases the running "balance due" that I never owed to begin with.

Page down on the link below and you will find the contact I used as recently as the beginning of this month and I wish you the best of luck.

https://consumerist.com/2007/0...-randall-stephenson/

Posts: 3813 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Calling to cancel a service to get a discount on your rate is pretty common for many busineses. I do it with my subscription with SirusXM. The annual fee is over two bills now, I call to cancel it and usually get another year for well under a hundred bucks.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've heard you can do all this... but I don't have the time to deal with some person on the other side of the world where english is their 3rd language...

So I pay close to $200 a month for direct TV...don't tell my wife.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
We've had DTV since 1979. Currently we have a $50 loyalty discount that expires in March.

Last week I got an email from them regarding upcoming bill increases. I figured I would just call, ask for retention department and get another 12 months on my discount or else I'd cancel.

Ha. The joke's on me. The guy (Salvatore) couldn't care less. Just said I might need to return some of my receivers but couldn't tell me for sure until I cancel.

So I'm like others, I like the service and have a dish at our summer cottage, so I'd need to not only get a different service here but also at our other location.

I intend on trying to get a deal again but I'm not optimistic.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
We've had DTV since 1997. Currently we have a $50 loyalty discount that expires in March.

Last week I got an email from them regarding upcoming bill increases. I figured I would just call, ask for retention department and get another 12 months on my discount or else I'd cancel.

Ha. The joke's on me. The guy (Salvatore) couldn't care less. Just said I might need to return some of my receivers but couldn't tell me for sure until I cancel.

So I'm like others, I like the service and have a dish at our summer cottage, so I'd need to not only get a different service here but also at our other location.

I intend on trying to get a deal again but I'm not optimistic.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post