SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen Knives (and other wedding gifts)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen Knives (and other wedding gifts) Login/Join 
posted
Hello Braintrust,

I’m getting married in April and we are putting together our registry. I want a nice kitchen knife set and I know some folks here are pretty well versed in that area. Can anyone recommend brands that we could find for our registry? JA Henckles and Victorinox seem to be well-reviewed at a reasonable price point but I’m open to other input.

Also, feel free to suggest anything else that you would add to a wedding registry. I pretty much just buy myself whatever it is we need around the house so I’m terrible at building a wish list.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wüsthof

That’s what our chef goddaughter requested.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Be wary of the Henckles. They have several grades of knives ranging from excellent to marginal made in China.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Frankly I'm no fan of sets. Much rather pick individual knives. Too bad you just can't put $$ request in the registry indicating it will go towards building a kitchen knife assortment.

These are great sources of info on what type of knife for what use, and what brands / models are best. Both have subforums devoted to kitchen cutlery: Knifeforums.com and bladeforum.com

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What's a reasonable budget for your guests? Sets span $100 to $1000s.

I would somewhat presume that this is just for casual use - you don't really cook much.

I'm generally partial to Japanese carbon steel knives (single edged).

But for western knives, I like Shun (although there are many good brands).

In your case, perhaps something like the Twin Pro S line (Henckels). Something forged. In any case, not stamped.

https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Pr...eywords=twin+pro+set

https://www.amazon.com/ZWILLIN...eywords=twin+pro+set

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Frankly I'm no fan of sets. Much rather pick individual knives. Too bad you just can't put $$ request in the registry indicating it will go towards building a kitchen knife assortment.

I agree with this.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wusthof Classic. Had ours for almost 15 years. Worth every penny.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a set of Anolon for 11 years now and have been very happy with them and they have held up very well.

I had my concerns about the durability of the rubber handles, but they look as good as the day I bought them.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c...bPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Be wary of the Henckles. They have several grades of knives ranging from excellent to marginal made in China.

Just checked ours, China made. A couple hold a good edge, but 1 or 2 won't take an edge for anything.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have been using Kyocera ceramic knives for years.

You can get a set of these, or just wish you did. Wink

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Arcos knives - this is a bit off the wall, but they are the best Spanish brand.

Top quality Spanish steel, on the level of Wusthof/Henckels.

There’s several on Amazon, just search for “Arcos knife set”

https://www.amazon.com/Arcos-M...3-qh%2BrL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Regardless of type, honor the tradition.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
We have been fairly happy with this Henckels Twins Pro S set. We also added the steak knives to it, and one or two more knives.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...bd6b4&pf_rd_i=409670

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Make sure they tape a penny to the knife set or knives. Then use the penny to pay the gifted for th e knives. I'm not superstitious but why not play it safe.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of Wusthof. I have been using my set for over 25 years. They are worth every penny. The Global knives out of Japan are really nice too. I have picked up a few over the years and use them regularly.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2390 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Regardless of type, honor the tradition.
Absolutely! Tape a penny to the knife blade. The recipient then gives the penny back to you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
Wüsthof

That’s what our chef goddaughter requested.

That’s what we received as a wedding gift. They’re great.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I agree with this.
I have a Henckels set, but only use 3 knives. If I had it to do all over again, I'd just own these 3 Henckels drop forged knives:
  • 6.5" Nakiri knive. Has the blade profile of a 10" chef's knife but the handy 6.5" length. This thing makes piles of sliced/chopped veggies quickly. When I took a knife skills class sponsored by Henckels over 1/2 the class bought this knife as everyone was so impressed despite trying some very expensive Miyabi Damascus knives.
  • Paring knife
  • 8" bread knife

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    I bought this based on a recommendation in a thread from earlier this year, and have been very pleased with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-...Paring/dp/B0034612OK

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Learn it, know it, live it
    Picture of 1lowlife
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 4370 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post