SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeff Flake singlehandedly screwing conservatives and keeping Trump's judicial nominees from being confirmed
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeff Flake singlehandedly screwing conservatives and keeping Trump's judicial nominees from being confirmed Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Arizona why do you hate the rest of us so much!!!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3503 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Yeah, seems that party leadership should be able to boot him from the committee and replace him.

You think they didn't know in advance? They are hedging their bets against losing...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
And I'm afraid that he and Romney are cut out of the same self-righteous cloth.

That is one very true statement.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Maybe we’ll get lucky and lion will eat his ass!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2670 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thread title is from July and is AGAIN valid:

https://www.azcentral.com/stor...l-judges/2006919002/

Sen. Jeff Flake draws the line: Protect Mueller probe or no new federal judges

Ronald J. Hansen, Arizona Republic
Published 6:07 p.m. MT Nov. 14, 2018 | Updated 6:18 p.m. MT Nov. 14, 2018

Sen. Jeff Flake drew a dramatic new line against President Donald Trump and his fellow Republicans on Wednesday, promising to vote against new federal judges unless the Senate protects Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe.

Flake, a lame-duck Arizona Republican, could jeopardize dozens of judicial nominations Senate GOP leaders want to push through before the current Congress ends in early January.

His move comes days after Trump installed Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general, a position that effectively places him in charge of the Mueller investigation.

Whitaker's earlier public remarks have sketched out ways to undermine Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and possible obstruction of justice afterward.

Flake wants bill to protect Mueller
On Wednesday, Flake sought unanimous consent to pass a bill with Sen. Chris Coons, D-Delaware, to protect the investigation, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, immediately scuttled that request.

Flake, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee who leaves office in January, offered a swift response of his own.

"Because (the legislation) has failed today, Sen. Coons and I are prepared to raise it again and again, until there is a vote on this vital bipartisan legislation on the Senate floor," Flake said on the floor. "I have informed the majority leader that I will not vote to advance any of the 21 judicial nominees pending in the Judiciary Committee, or vote to confirm the 32 judges awaiting a confirmation vote on the floor, until (the bill) is brought to the full Senate for a vote."

Other Republicans, such as U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, have said they don't think any protection for Mueller's investigation is needed.

Flake to block judicial confirmations
Flake's move puts him in a now-familiar position of battling Trump's agenda, but throws down his most serious threat. Earlier this year, Flake withheld support from approving circuit judges in a dispute with the White House over tariffs.

Without Flake's support now, Republicans would need Democratic help to pass any nominee out of the Judiciary Committee by the usual process, which seems unlikely.

For nominees who have already made it out of the committee, Flake's opposition means the GOP can't afford any other Republicans to vote against confirmation without needing Democratic support.

"I think the senator has a lot of leverage here," said Carl Tobias, a constitutional law professor at the University of Richmond. Trump and Republicans have touted their aggressive confirmation of federal judges as perhaps their most consequential action, Tobias said.

"That's going to come to a crashing halt if Flake holds out," he said.

Flake locking horns with Trump again
There are 14 nominees, for example, on the Judiciary Committee's schedule Thursday. Five of those positions are circuit judgeships, positions that are considered especially critical because most federal cases never make it past their appeals court.

Two of the five circuit nominees are in the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which has jurisdiction over Arizona's federal cases, Tobias said.

All federal judges are appointed for life.

Flake has locked horns with Trump constantly, especially since announcing his impending retirement in October 2017 when it was clear he was out of step with Arizona Republicans.

In the year since, Flake has repeatedly offered high-minded criticism of Trump's style and even urged a Republican primary challenge for Trump in 2020.

Still, Flake has largely sided with Trump in matters before the Senate, ranging from support for the corporate tax cuts that passed in December to the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh in October.

Flake's single term in the Senate ends Jan. 3.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Flake is aptly named, the guy’s definitely a flake.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only is he a Flake, but a Piece of Shit for what he is doing screwing the American people. I don't know what drives these scum bags to be such ass holes. Thank goodness he isn't running again and YES Arizona, you can do better than this loser and McCain who also SCREWED the American people over and over with his democrat siding crap and most recently by NOT voting to repeal Obama Care after he said he would. As far as I am concerned, McCain was/is not a hero by any stretch but a ZERO! And thank goodness he's gone! Good riddance to these self centered PRICKS!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
The thread title is from July and is AGAIN valid:

https://www.azcentral.com/stor...l-judges/2006919002/

Sen. Jeff Flake draws the line: Protect Mueller probe or no new federal judges
This freaking loser needs to be beaten severely by his constituents. One POS screwing a huge majority of the country and the country itself is not acceptable.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The POS is clearly wanting the people to forget the name McCain. That's ok, after January, the mofo will be gone, the Republicans still have the Senate, and things will move along. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Fire Mueller and tell Flake to go fuck himself. If Mueller wasn't off in the weeds investigating who knows what from 10 years ago, he wouldn't need this so called protection - the fact they are trying this is evidence they know he is wasting time and our money. Drain the swamp.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody needs to have a talk with Flake, so to speak, about a prolonged vacation.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
He can't stop anything at the committee level. The nominees don't HAVE to make it through the committee process.

The only real way he can do any damage is if he can convince enough republicans to get in his boat and vote no on the senate floor.

Something to ponder. Everyone is jumping up and down about how he is not representing the folks of Arizona correctly. The same folks that just elected a democratic senator...

I'm not sure I understand his strategy yet. There is finally enough conservative horsepower to keep him from being the nominee in 2020. Is he positioning to be a Trump on the democratic side?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Someone please. Drop kick this baffoon.

SENATOR JEFF FLAKE CHEERS ON EMBATTLED CNN’S JIM ACOSTA

11:54 PM 11/14/2018
Lame duck Republican Sen. Jeff Flake announced his support for CNN White House correspondent Jim Acosta at the end of his speech during the congressional correspondent dinner on Wednesday night.

Jeff Flake at Congressional Correspondents’ Dinner tonight: “Go get ’em @Acosta !l pic.twitter.com/B4iMCd8jqb

— Howard Mortman (@HowardMortman) November 15, 2018

“And I’ve enjoyed well almost every minute of it. The work you do here is more important than ever and you do it well. Please keep doing it. And lastly, and most sincerely, go get ‘em Acosta,” he said.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/1...ke-cnn-acosta-trump/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
while i don't like the guy - he is taking what appears to be a planned trip during a normally planned break

Life happens. Responsibilities take precedent. Sometimes we have to cancel vacations in the real world. Flake is a dung beetle buffet, and nothing more.

I recall a BUNCH of times when I had to cancel plans/trips etc because "duty called". Both while in the army, and while working at IBM. One time I had to cancel a vacation that had been planned for nearly a year, so I could make an emergency trip to solve problems in Europe.

That asshole has the right name, alright. He is a flake, but I prefer asshole as his name.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
vacation ? The asshole is observing an election in Zimbabwe. (this isn't a joke)

Sounds like a vacation to me!

And at our expense, no doubt.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
while i don't like the guy - he is taking what appears to be a planned trip during a normally planned break

Oh blow. He oughta resign right now then. I've had to cancel or postpone vacations or planned trips before for work. One time was even for my own wedding. That sack of crap deserves a shovel to the back of the head.

This. Too bad he's not an "At Will" employee or he'd be gone for not showing up on a required day.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Someone please. Drop kick this baffoon.

SENATOR JEFF FLAKE CHEERS ON EMBATTLED CNN’S JIM ACOSTA

11:54 PM 11/14/2018
Lame duck Republican Sen. Jeff Flake announced his support for CNN White House correspondent Jim Acosta at the end of his speech during the congressional correspondent dinner on Wednesday night.

Jeff Flake at Congressional Correspondents’ Dinner tonight: “Go get ’em @Acosta !l pic.twitter.com/B4iMCd8jqb

— Howard Mortman (@HowardMortman) November 15, 2018

“And I’ve enjoyed well almost every minute of it. The work you do here is more important than ever and you do it well. Please keep doing it. And lastly, and most sincerely, go get ‘em Acosta,” he said.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/1...ke-cnn-acosta-trump/
That's a pair of no good SOBs. Someone tell me an election can get better people. I believe Americans have a hand in draining the swamp. I need a sick sack.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff Flake reminds me of the rich kid in school who was teased by everyone because of his funny name.

Much later, he then gains power thru various means and now wants to show everyone just how much control he can throw around.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A large percentage of Republicans appear to be Democrats. If you were rich, would you not bribe both parties ?

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there is never a car wreck or a hit and run when you need one

he is truly the scum of the earth and in my opinion he is worse than democrats who at least have the balls to call themselves democrats

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53196 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post