SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck tire discussion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck tire discussion Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Once you get above the height of a tall 33 or short 34, the cost skyrockets. Your 285's are 34.5", the 275's are only 34ish, depending on exact brand and tread. I'm driving on 18" wheels,so it won't be a good comparison, but I definitely paid through the nose when I went to a 34.5" Toyo Open Country A/T.

I've had BFG K/O2's, and I liked them a lot. They had a great tread life, seemed like they lasted forever (well over 55K, IIRC), but they got harder as they aged and so didn't drive as well in icy or wet conditions. I had Nitto Terra Grapplers, and they ride and drive well, good grip on the road, but seemed to wear faster than the KO's (I assumed that the softer rubber traded grip for wear time). Haven't had the Toyo's long, but they ride well and look great. Time will tell if they wear decently.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
If most of your driving is on pavement, Cooper AT3's are a nice tire, but stay away from the 4 ply P rated tires. That’s what I put on my truck last time, but I thought I had ordered 10 ply tires. Most my driving is logging roads and after just less than 20k miles and numerous flat tires, I recently changed to some E rated 10 ply Cooper ST Maxx’s. I was never happy with the AT3', but the ST Maxx’s are the cats meow. I really like them.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I have the BFG A/T KO2 and like them a lot.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I switched from goodyear wrangler p rated tires to LT stock size BF Goodrich AT KO2's. I lost about 2 mpg. They are fantastic in snow, have lost traction in rain when accelerating from a start but do not hydroplane, and are great on the highway. I also drove on the beach in the Outer Banks this past summer and they did great (aired down). We had a blast with them. I have them on my 2016 Ram 1500 4x4, crew cab.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've worn out sets of Michelin LTX M/S, Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2s, Firestone Wilderness AT, BFG AT/KO, and now I have the Wrangler Duratracs.

The Duratracs have the best traction in all conditions of any of those, and are really the first set of tires I've ever had that hasn't disappointed me. I would buy another set of them when they are gone, but it looks like I'm probably going to move to a size they don't offer.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Purchased a Ram Dually with a set of Cooper something-or-other LT's on it. They were absolute garbage. Ended up with ply separation in 3 of 6. Put a set of Michelin LTX A/T2's on it based on the reviews on Tire Rack and they have been awesome. 50K so far and I expect to get 20K more out of them. Quiet and excellent snow traction. I highly recommend them.

Agreed. Had two sets myself. Many good miles mixed bag of terrain. Not off road.

I'll 3rd it. I also use mine off road some deer hunting in wet Ga. clay going up some inclines and never had a problem. 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 cummins. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this is another one of those subjects that has few wrong answers. Most everybody likes their tires. You only get to ride on one set at a time and you only change about every 3-5 years. Very difficult to actually compare.

Thanks for info and reviews of the Coopers. I'm adding them to my short list which is now BFG, Nitto, and Cooper. Cooper are about $30 cheaper per tire than the other 2. Probably going to come down to $$$ like most everything else.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michelin AT2

Great all around tire.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
figured I'd bump with my decision... I had all but decided on BFG AT KO2's but found Nitto Terra Grappler G2's for $1050 shipped from tirebuyer.com. Saved me about $100 over the BFG's. I was happy with my previous Nittos so I hope I'll like the new ones. I think they'll be a little bit quieter on the road than the BFG's would have been.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
figured I'd bump with my decision... I had all but decided on BFG AT KO2's but found Nitto Terra Grappler G2's for $1050 shipped from tirebuyer.com. Saved me about $100 over the BFG's. I was happy with my previous Nittos so I hope I'll like the new ones. I think they'll be a little bit quieter on the road than the BFG's would have been.

If anything like mine, the TG's were noticeably quieter than the KO's. Congrats on a good decision.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
About to need new tires on my 2009 Z71. I've got a slight body lift for leveling so I can fit bigger tires. I'm a bit up in the air on tire brand and size.

I had Nitto TerraGrapplers AT at first, size 305/55/20. Then I lucked into a friend selling hhis Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's in the same size. Paid $400 for the set that had about half tread (20k miles of wear) and I've put nearly 25k more on them. They're at about 4/32 right now. Great tires, but much noisier than the Nittos.

I'm looking at quite a few different brands. Toyo Open Country, Yokohama Geolander, Nitto TerraGrappler, BFG All terrain. Any other recommendations? (Michelin M/S will definitely come up but I like a little more aggressive look.) Most miles are highway but I do need moderate off-road capability as hunt some back woods areas.

As far as size, I want to go narrower but slightly taller. 285/65/20 seems about right. 34.5" tall, which I'm reasonably confident will fit fine and not scrub. Strange thing is that 285/65 tires are waaaay more expensive, for some reason, than 275/65. Anybody know why? I mean, there's more rubber there, I get that, but they are $100 more per tire. They're also $100 more than 285/60 and $75 more than the 305/55.

If I go all the way down to 275, will I notice it? I don't load the truck up all that often. Once a year or so I'll go put a couple yards of mulch in the bed or tow the pontoon a couple of miles down to the boat ramp. I'm not in the mud often.

Any thoughts on brand or size?

Ive got these Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires on my truck now as well as two work trucks driven every day. They have been fantastic in snow (just as good as Duratracs which are excellent) and drive very well. They drive really smooth, road noise is pretty nonexistent. Price can't be beat, I paid $680 for a set of four from SimpleTire.com with a sale they ran.

Are you sure you can fit a 34.5" under your truck? How tall is your lift?
Its generally accepted on the GM forums that a Silverado with a 2-2.5" leveling kit/lift will only run 33" tires at most (your current tire size).
I just leveled my 2011 Z71 (identical to your 2009) and put 33" tires on it and they barely fit.

Anyway, these Falkens seem to be made in all the sizes you mentioned and I highly recommend them. 55,000 mile tread warranty and triple peak snow rated.

http://www.falkentire.com/tire...es/wildpeak/t3w-tire

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rln_21:
Are you sure you can fit a 34.5" under your truck? How tall is your lift?
Its generally accepted on the GM forums that a Silverado with a 2-2.5" leveling kit/lift will only run 33" tires at most (your current tire size).
I just leveled my 2011 Z71 (identical to your 2009) and put 33" tires on it and they barely fit.

275/65/20 is right at 34. My 33's, when turned all the way left or right have over an inch clearance. However, they are also about 1.25" wider than the new tires will be. We'll see. Guess I'll have to send them back if they rub.

Truck was leveled out when I bought it so I don't know exactly how much lift is under it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I've worn out sets of Michelin LTX M/S, Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2s, Firestone Wilderness AT, BFG AT/KO, and now I have the Wrangler Duratracs.

The Duratracs have the best traction in all conditions of any of those, and are really the first set of tires I've ever had that hasn't disappointed me. I would buy another set of them when they are gone, but it looks like I'm probably going to move to a size they don't offer.

Look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W as a replacement, I loved Duratracs on my personal vehicle as well as using them on multiple work rigs that had to drive in all conditions.
I thnk the Wildpeak was engineered to compete directly with the Duratrac and it seems to drive the same in snow and bad conditions with less road noise on dry pavement.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Final bump... tires have 3/4" clearance from any rubbing. Look great and drive like a cushion of air with so much less road noise than my Mickeys. I also had it aligned and that seems to have gotten rid of a little vibration I've always had right about 70 mph that I 'thought' was a chassis vibration.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Would like your thoughts on off pavement (soft sand, light mud, rock - stuff one might reasonably encounter going to the beach, lakeside up to the water, driving through forest) as well as highway (wet, snow, dry). In particular traction / safety (don't care about noise or wear too much).

I'm preparing to buy a set for trips this year and was thinking K02. But am currently leaning toward Open Country RT. But Nitto are a consideration as well.

I don't use the vehicle as daily driver or around town (except occasionally). Most driving is on highway to get to an off pavement destination. Looking forward to east OR and Idaho this year. Maybe UT. Spring through Fall.

Off pavement is to get to lakes/rivers (unpaved routes) and then dropping off kayak's lakeside. And other things along those lines -- no real off road rock climbing. No dangerous stuff; just stuff where I may get stuck. But want good safety on the highway as well (80% of the trip).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Cooper AT3. Love mine and cheaper than BFG KO2. Will buy these again.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Would like your thoughts on off pavement (soft sand, light mud, rock - stuff one might reasonably encounter going to the beach, lakeside up to the water, driving through forest) as well as highway (wet, snow, dry). In particular traction / safety (don't care about noise or wear too much).

I'm preparing to buy a set for trips this year and was thinking K02. But am currently leaning toward Open Country RT. But Nitto are a consideration as well.

I don't use the vehicle as daily driver or around town (except occasionally). Most driving is on highway to get to an off pavement destination. Looking forward to east OR and Idaho this year. Maybe UT. Spring through Fall.

Off pavement is to get to lakes/rivers (unpaved routes) and then dropping off kayak's lakeside. And other things along those lines -- no real off road rock climbing. No dangerous stuff; just stuff where I may get stuck. But want good safety on the highway as well (80% of the trip).

If you don't care much about road noise then you'll definitely want something with some more aggressive side biters. KO2's or the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's I just took off. I'm sure the Coopers and the like would work too. In Nitto's I would go Trail Grappler or Ridge Grappler.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market for tires for my Jeep Commander.
I went through this thread and find a lot of great advice.
In my searching I found Kumho Auto Venture AT-51 tires. Very well rated on Tire Rack and $116 each.
Price is not my main concern,but, that price is hard to ignore.
Any experience with this tire?

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a second set of these goodyears. I rarely have purchased the same set of tires twice

They have changed the tread pattern a bit from the OEMs that came on the tacoma.

I smacked a metal box early last week and it cut the sidewall, but did not cut all the way through. Did the kevlar reinforcement save it, can't say for sure, I only know I did not have a blow out or it knuckled because of he impact. I only knew because the tpms showed I had low pressure in a tire and I stopped to air up and found the cut. Easily had another 10k on the tread life (I was at 55,400)

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US...e?cta=BBCardTireName

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I smacked a metal box early last week and it cut the sidewall, but did not cut all the way through. Did the kevlar reinforcement save it, can't say for sure,

In that particular tire the kevlar is only in the tread portion. The sidewalls are still 2 plies of polyester. I believe only the Wrangler MT/R gets kevlar in the sidewalls.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post