SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    mini stroke TIA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mini stroke TIA Login/Join 
Picture of Uppster
posted
Last Monday my extremely healthy 70yr old wife had a mini stroke. Dr said this was a warning. How long does it take to get back to normal. It does not take much activity at all to make her very tired, and winded. She is having a echo cardiogram on Tuesday and meeting with Nero doc following week. Thanks, I just do not know what to expect.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not the answer. Sure one of our docs will chime in.

Prayer sent for her recovery and may you enjoy many years together ahead.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Usually the symptoms don’t last long unless the TIA was a result of other co-morbidities...perhaps cardiac related. I would definitely get the echo and have them examine her carotids as well. Did she have an MRI of the brain already? If she is going to see cardiology you could also ask for a stress test to evaluate for heart disease. Good luck.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A TIA (transient ischemic attack) by definition is brief and resolves completely within a few minutes to perhaps half an hour. There is a longer but temporary stroke called a RIND, reversible ischemic neurological deficit, that can last up to 24 hours, but is less common.

Strokes can be caused by cardiac problems; the most common cardiac cause is atrial fibrillation, which is an irregular (but not lethal) heart rhythm. With an episode of atrial fibrillation (AF), the left atrium does not contract normally, and a blood clot can form as a result which can be thrown to the brain to cause a TIA or stroke. The treatment for this is medication to prevent blood clots from forming in the heart (warfarin or an alternative to warfarin).

An echocardiogram is an essential part of your wife's evaluation; but whether the echo is normal or not, she may also benefit from wearing a heart monitor to see if there is evidence of atrial fibrillation.

This is also important because atrial fibrillation can cause shortness of breath, particularly if the heart rate is too fast and there is not adequate time for the heart to fill with blood and pump it out.

You should ask either your primary physician or the neurologist if a referral to a cardiologist would be appropriate given what they know about your wife's case.

I'd be interested in reading a follow-up with the results of the echocardiogram.

Dr. Goodheart
Your friendly SigForum cardiologist

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I do not the answer. Sure one of our docs will chime in.

Prayer sent for her recovery and may you enjoy many years together ahead.

Uppster has my prayers for his wife as well.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent, hope she's better soon.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent uppster for a speedy diagnoses, and a full recovery.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uppster, prayer sent for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Hoping and prying for your wife's full recovery.

Posts: 13683 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the many prayers, we appreciate them.
Dusty78, yes MRI showed the autograph of 2, but we only know of the 1 she had.
sjtill, I will send it.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP,
I had a TIA and two weeks later had a stroke that they found out later to be due to a torn carotid artery (the clot started there). With regards to her being tired often; I found that after the TIA I was very tired, then I had the stroke and that also leaves me exhausted.

I wake up tired and am tired all day but I sleep well. I recently had a sleep study and the doc said my tiredness was due to the stroke as I was sleeping within normal parameters.

My brain doc, when questioned about the tiredness, said sometimes exhaustion is transient with new stroke patients and that to be honest, he said that if the symptoms are present after a year-then they will be permanent.

I did a lot of googling after the stroke and checked out a stroke forum-I was interested in the questions that other stroke victims had...

might I suggest you take that route, and I sincerely wish you good luck with your wife's issue.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I will chk that. And thank you

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Prayers being offered up for both of you and the medical staff treating your wife.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
This site has helped me many times over the last few years. Having a support group that you can share your difficulties with and finding that you're not alone can help. Symptoms may change over time as I've found out being a survivor myself. I'll add a prayer of strength and support for your wife..

Stroke Support

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill: They said everything is fine, no issues at all. Last 2 days I have seen a marked improvement. Thank you
A TIA (transient ischemic attack) by definition is brief and resolves completely within a few minutes to perhaps half an hour. There is a longer but temporary stroke called a RIND, reversible ischemic neurological deficit, that can last up to 24 hours, but is less common.

Strokes can be caused by cardiac problems; the most common cardiac cause is atrial fibrillation, which is an irregular (but not lethal) heart rhythm. With an episode of atrial fibrillation (AF), the left atrium does not contract normally, and a blood clot can form as a result which can be thrown to the brain to cause a TIA or stroke. The treatment for this is medication to prevent blood clots from forming in the heart (warfarin or an alternative to warfarin).

An echocardiogram is an essential part of your wife's evaluation; but whether the echo is normal or not, she may also benefit from wearing a heart monitor to see if there is evidence of atrial fibrillation.

This is also important because atrial fibrillation can cause shortness of breath, particularly if the heart rate is too fast and there is not adequate time for the heart to fill with blood and pump it out.

You should ask either your primary physician or the neurologist if a referral to a cardiologist would be appropriate given what they know about your wife's case.

I'd be interested in reading a follow-up with the results of the echocardiogram.

Dr. Goodheart
Your friendly SigForum cardiologist