SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Check your spare and tire tools. Also, question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your spare and tire tools. Also, question. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have my spare checked when I rotate tires and I've previously checked the factory tools in my car to change a tire. Everything was there and worked well and the spare was fully inflated. I've had issues with all the above so I try to be prepared. I didn't even struggle to free the shell from the hub. I've had to pry them off before because of rust.

However, I'm looking for a new lug wrench in case I need the extra leverage. I also need a better tool for speeding up the scissor jack until I decide on a bottle jack.

Would the forum recommend a breaker bar and specific socket or the normal 4 way? Nissan Xterra so all tools have to go inside the vehicle.

While I'm at it I'll update my truck kit too.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8368 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Breaker bar and socket would likely be easier to store. Downside is, the socket can/will come off and may get separated from the bar.

Also, if you go that way, spend the money for an impact-grade socket. Be a real bummer to crack the socket with one lug nut left to go...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I carry a breaker bar and socket. The factory lug wrench that came with the jeep barely gets a hold of the lugs. Piece of crap.

Anyway, I rotate all five tires so the "spare" is in constant use.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went 4 way. If you torque to spec, you really shouldn't need much of a breaker (normal wear and tear). Can't lose the socket on the 4 way. And there's folding models for storage, such as

https://www.amazon.com/Perform...Wrench/dp/B000N37E9O

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2395 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had a coworker call me one morning as she got a flat on the way to the office (pothole at 70mph).
Helped her change the tire & her spare was flat (20psi) too. Luckily we were at a gas station & they had air.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep to the aboves.

1/2 inch breaker bar, equal length (or longer if you have room) of 1" thick wall PVC, and the impact grade socket.
Couple of "Glow Sticks".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
+1 on what PHPaul said. He's right about the impact socket versus a regular mechanics socket. Your bar doesn't need to be extremely long, because the Xterra lug nuts are speced at 85 ft. lbs. Unless some tire monkey over torqued the lug nuts. Also, I'd get an el cheapo breaker bar, something from harbor freight or northern tool. You could probably go longer since they are cheap. Larger and longer is probably better, so it won't break when you need it most.

Don't forget to bring some wood blocks to block up or support your jack on wet or soft soil if you're off the blacktop.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I did plan on an impact socket. A chunch of 2x6 won't take up much. I'll look for a bar and socket that can be pinned together. I'd leave the stock stuff in probably as spares.

The lugs broke loose easy enough, made me wonder if they were tight enough actually. The tire shop is pretty good though.

Thanks!

Posts: 8368 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Next time I get tires I'll probably get five but I need to get a matching wheel at least and maybe an external tire carrier.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight:
$13 2' breaker bar
$16 4 impact sockets @ $4 each
$10 1/2 drive extension set

These can be cheaper with a coupon. I carry a 1/2 drive torque wrench I picked up for $35 at Autozone. I also carry two plug kits and a Viair 400P compressor.

I regularly check the lugs on my truck and fifth wheel as well as the bolts in my fifth wheel hitch.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Impact sockets and regular rachet ones are designed for different purposes. Impact sockets are tougher, but they're also designed to wear out faster. This won't make a difference if you use it to rotate your tires a couple times per year, but it does in a professional setting. Impact sockets are also not to be used w/ torque wrenches, b/c impact sockets are designed to flex and twist more than regular ones.

I prefer a 1/2 drive breaker bar and socket, b/c in addition to breaking free lug nuts, in times of duress it is also a good tool for breaking... other things.

I like 4-way wrenches too; hence, I carry both in my vehicle. 4-ways are faster for install and removal, b/c you can spin them. A good breaker bar provides more leverage though.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I have one of these from Gorilla:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla...=gorilla+breaker+bar

Nice and compact, but it works like a champ, even fully extended.

Highly recommended.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to a good 4 way as that's what I'll use if it's available.

Of course I've always been able to use the factory lug wrench in a pinch also.

Posts: 922 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Impact sockets are also not to be used w/ torque wrenches, b/c impact sockets are designed to flex and twist more than regular ones.

Using impact sockets with a torque wrench will not impact the accuracy of your torque wrench if you are using the wrench smoothly. Even if it did, any impact would be well with in the ball park required for lug nuts.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
And if you have locking lug nuts/bolts on your vehicle, make DAMN CERTAIN you have the key. Ask me how I know this.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
And if you have locking lug nuts/bolts on your vehicle, make DAMN CERTAIN you have the key. Ask me how I know this.

RMD

I did make double sure on my new wheels.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

I did make double sure on my new wheels.

So did I until I didn't. I have no idea where it went. New one enroute.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I carry a 4 way lug wrench and a 4'long 2"wide pipe as a cheater bar.
A 1/2" breaker bar and two 13/16th sockets are in my tool kit.
To finish it off I carry two 6" pieces of glulam to put the jack on when necessary.

Yes I do have a truck. Wink

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I carry a breaker bar with extension and impact socket. I use the breaker bar just to break the torque, then I can usually just use the extension with socket to spin them off. If I am in my garage, I use a cordless impact driver with appropriate adapters to adapt to the socket, and let that spin them off. Then spin them back on the same way. For a standard cordless impact driver, you will never overtorque them, though they will snug up nicely. Then out with the real torque wrench for final tightening.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post