SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which reader do you prefer for .epub files on Windows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which reader do you prefer for .epub files on Windows Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
It seems like it's necessary to have more than one reader on a Windows machine for .epub files. I started out using Adobe Digital Editions exclusively, but after I ran into some weird formatting and generally wonky behavior in ADE, I installed Bibliovore. I have to alternate between the two readers, because some files will display correctly in ADE, while others display correctly only in Bibliovore. It seems like the creators of these files pay little attention to how they'll behave in Windows, since they're intended for tablet-style devices.

Sometimes, I'll try to launch a file with Blibliovore, it will start to load, then the app will say 'Book Unavailable' and close on its own.

I don't want to have to keep loading new readers onto my laptop. Does anyone here know of a more reliable reader? I know there's an .epub plugin for MS Edge but I refuse to use Edge or Internet Explorer, ever.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107632 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There is a freeware program called Calibre that does e-book management. I use the Mac version, but it is available for Windows too. It comes with an .epub reader that works just fine. Calibre will convert e-books from pretty much any format into pretty much any format as well.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do not use Windows, but the Kindle Reader app is free. Give it a try, it might work for you.

I have a Kindle, so I just use the app to send .epub files to the Kindle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I've used Calibre on my PC to successfully convert several book formats for use on either my Android devices or Kobo reader.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Caliber is great for any e-document management.

Lets you convert and transfer across almost any platform.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Calibre is what I always use on PC. However, that was partly because I needed to be able to edit ePub files, which wasn’t as common of a feature. Never had any issues with it so far.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've been using SumatraPDF for epub & PDFs.

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Calibre to convert to AZW3. This seems to work better than MOBI. My reading is done on a Kindle Oasis - remarkable device.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I just use the reader that comes up after I borrow an ebook title that only comes in epub.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I use Calibre as well. It's a pretty good program. I don't even pay attention to what format my ebooks come in anymore, Calibre seamlessly converts when I send it to my device, and I've never had a book that didn't just work. I had a number of Nook ereaders, and now I have an Onyx Boox. Calibre has worked flawlessly with all of them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post