SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about the A-10 Thunderbolt...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about the A-10 Thunderbolt... Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
And if you ever hear a "BRRRRIIIPPP!! sound, it's too late.
^^^^^^^^^^^ If you could hear the " BRRRRIIIPP " Then you were Not The Target .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I love that banshee whistle; it’s a perfect example of hearing something and knowing exactly what is making it before you ever see it. A few years back, we were chilling in the pool at Ocean City MD and two Warthogs flew over. I knew precisely what I would see when I looked up. My favorite jet powered aircraft of all time.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
My first A-10 sighting was from the pool at Keesler AFB in 1979. What a cool aircraft. Now, my former guard unit flies them.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A little OT, but yesterday I’m pretty sure I saw my first operational F-35 taking off from Miramar MCAS. I’ll keep an eye out when the flights come in to land. Up until now if you heard a fighter jet it was almost always an F/A-18. I’ll sit out in the backyard with a pair of binoculars and a spotting scope and see if there are indeed F-35’s now.

Guess I wasn’t paying attention, this is from May:
Link

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Westchester Putnam BSA council has a summer camp about an hour north of Lake George. The north end of the property was a small mountain called summit base. As part of their training mission the A-10's would fly the over the length of the camp. When they got to summet base they would drop to NOE and fly around the mountain, but below the summit. If you were up on top you were looking down into the cockpit as the aircraft made their lap around the mountain. They bunny hopped a ridge and made their way down to the lake, where the sometimes flew low enough to disturb the surface of the water. I was down at the lake around 7 PM when I saw a pair of A-10's come down the valley, then drop even lower once they were over the water. When they got even with the island they did a hard bank around the island then flew NOE up and over the next ridge. This happened at least once a week and I never got tired of watching it.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post