SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I Bought a Guitar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I Bought a Guitar Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted
An older friend is downsizing and sold me a Cortez, White Dove. Nothing special really, but a decent starter.

I used to play on a very superficial level, but now I have the time to try to learn more than just how to play a few songs by rote.

Any suggestions on online lessons? I may try the Rick Beato website/youtube.

As an aside, the guy came a couple weeks later and said "oh, I knew I had some extra strings". DiAddarrio, which can be roughly dated to 1982 due to the coupon for a t-shirt with an expiration date of December 1982. I wonder if they will honor the $6.00 cost, postage included.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Please go to a local guitar teacher. I've done both routes internet and local and you learn a lot of things from the teacher that online courses just won't do. For example, the teacher catches a bad habit before it becomes ingrained.

For reference, I've been playing for 40+ years.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:
Please go to a local guitar teacher. I've done both routes internet and local and you learn a lot of things from the teacher that online courses just won't do. For example, the teacher catches a bad habit before it becomes ingrained.

For reference, I've been playing for 40+ years.

Ditto

Congratulations!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Agree with some in-person pro instruction. Online does have some good stuff to compliment the pro lessons.

I really like Rick Beato, but honestly, I don't think he's a good teacher from what I've seen. He's way too complicated and is not basic enough for most people.

I'd look at Marty Schwartz or Grif Hamlin.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I've been using JustinGuitar.com and Marty Schwartz on YouTube.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

Those guys are both great but in my experience teach songs not technique. Although to be honest I’m never looking for videos to teach me technique much anymore. Just new tunes. Or an old one I forgot lol Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Online guitar teachers cannot see things you're doing wrong, and correct you to prevent you from building poor technique. It's much easier to learn correctly than to have to unlearn a method of playing that has hamstrung you. You don't have to have them, but it is advisable for at least a period of time.

You can go ahead and use those D'Addarios when it's time, but if they're that old and haven't been sealed in airtight packaging, they're probably shit.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been taking lessons in person for a couple years now. I have gotten into music theory so I can write my own arrangements. I also got into luthier, I have made a couple acoustics and the next one is a Gibson 335. While I can play, I have found the other aspects of the guitar and making music more interesting. Good luck, a great teacher that understands you and your learning style is invaluable.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely take lessons from an individual. There's just no substitute for the feedback of a person right in front of you.
To me, online lessons are much more useful when someone has already gotten past the basics.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

Those guys are both great but in my experience teach songs not technique. Although to be honest I’m never looking for videos to teach me technique much anymore. Just new tunes. Or an old one I forgot lol Big Grin
My wife gave me a Strat for Christmas 2020, it was at the start of the COVID stuff so I did some research and it seemed most people said to go with JustinGuitar if you can't find a local teacher for face-to-face lessons. He does more than just teach songs, he has lessons on theory also.

I had COVID in April and I didn't do much of anything for about a month, just too exhausted at the end of the day. Started again over the summer but we had a lot of wedding planning to do and we were on the go a lot so I wasn't able to put a whole lot of time in. After the wedding I started back on it. The online lessons from JustinGuitar are pretty good.

But you're right, finding a good teacher locally will definitely help correct you as you go instead of you finding out later on that you were doing it wrong. I've recently started looking for a teacher locally, but it's tough to decide if you have no references to give you an idea if they are good or not.

My wife gave me the Strat and then I bought a used Epiphone LP I saw at Guitar Center a couple months later. I just recently bought a Gretsch 5422 DC as I had credit at Sweetwater and some reward points on my credit card eating a hole in my pocket. I've only been "playing" for about 6 months and I already own 3 guitars. Big Grin

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
They are addictive!

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I had a local guitar teacher that I liked, but we drifted apart during the pandemic. We mostly jammed together, and that was good for me.

I have tried many online guitar teachers. I just didn’t click with Justin, but I have had several subscription teachers: Keith Wyatt with Artistworks; Brian Sherrill, Active Melody; Ross Campbell; Ian Stich, Stich Method, and Anthony Stauffer, Texas Blues Alley. I find that I stay with one for awhile, then move on.

Keith Wyatt does video critique. Send him a video of his lesson and he’ll give you feedback. I stayed with him for quite a long time, but ultimately I felt like I was learning how to do things on the guitar, but not how to make music.

I don’t think I’ll go through all of them unless someone has a specific question. I’m subscribing to TXBA (Texas Blues Alley) right now, and Anthony’s lessons are super detailed, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to play like SRV.

I would recommend Ian Stich. He seems to be a great guy and explains things well. He teaches you to improvise and make your own music. I’ll probably go back to him.

Posts: 13256 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Despite me saying I didn't care for Beato as a teacher, he does a good job talking about beginning acoustic guitar playing in this video.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would find a local instructor and take half a dozen lessons to get the basics down, learn a bit of fundamental theory and get you started on the right path. Make sure that you don't develop any bad playing habits.

Nice thing about local instructor is you get immediate feedback and immediate answers. That’s lacking with the internet.

Once you know the basics you can expand your knowledge through the net.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I am with everyone else here regarding lessons. I have come across some” incorrect “ info using YouTube. Nothing replaces face to face. I work with a pro EVERY Sunday I can here in Nashville. Enjoy the wonderful world of music!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post