SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any advice for someone considering pipe fitting for a career?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any advice for someone considering pipe fitting for a career? Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted
I've been in the restaurant business for the last 15 years and have realized that I do not wish to make a career out of it. I've made respectable money, it's honest work, and I've been told by many people that I'm the type of person who could climb the ladder, but it's just not for me.

One of the fields that I've begun to look into is pipe fitting. I'm someone who prefers to learn by doing, enjoys working with my hands, and really like the idea of being employed as an apprentice so I'm not having to work a second job while I learn my trade. I'm just looking for any input or things that I should be aware of before pursuing this any further. I'd appreciate anything that the fine folks of this forum could share with me.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a plumber for 50 years, started when I was 12 working for my Dad. I can tell you, it is not easy on your body.

Plus side is, your never stuck somewhere for very long and get to meet lots of different people.

Don't think pipefitting would be much different, although it could entail much bigger jobs. I wish the best in your endeavors!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a plumber tell me all you need to know is crap flows downhill, payday is Friday and don't chew your fingernails

On a serious note had a cousin who was a pipefitter all his life. Recently retired having done pretty well for himself.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
As a retired self-employed Plumber, I would recommend becoming an Electrician. Work is cleaner, pay is the same, and that knowledge could allow you to do many other ancillary jobs. Walk into a big store and there are 2 bathrooms in the corner and wiring everywhere.
A pipe fitter to a plumber is akin to a semi tractor mechanic to a motorcycle mechanic in terms of ease and size of parts/effort and wear and tear on your body. Good luck whatever you choose.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Go electrician. As soon as you finish your apprentice start your own business.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a member of the local pipefitter's union for twenty years, though it was more or less specialized as fitter / welder / service (hvac).

Good fitter's are well paid, good welder's even better, & good service men paid as good or better. Fitting work is hard & can be tough on the body as already stated, but its honest work & nothing to be ashamed of.

I've always been in the service side, currently working on building automation. Service work is by far easier on the body, but still strenuous if care isn't taken.

Lots of guys on the fitter side of the house work new construction to project complete, bank some cash, take time off & do it again. Travel is also a thing for some, big jobs need lots of fitters.

Note: Its been my experience in this area that hvac guys are the highest paid blue collar career. Sheet metal, electrician, plumber all lag behind a bit, but likely location dependent & also need the opportunity to get set with a good shop or local union for experience.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I would be an electrician. always going to be a huge demand for them, especially industrial controls. I have been a cabinetmaker for 33 years and own my shop. I have a huge investment in machinery compared to a van, hand tools etc that sparkys use. and they make just as much if not more. wish I could turn back the clock.

dealing with dirty black pipe all day, putting in sprinkler systems hanging from the ceiling no thanks.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local shipyard hires plenty of shipfitters and pipefitters. Good money, but rough on the body. Lots of back surgeries at an early age. Electricians less so.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
As a retired self-employed Plumber, I would recommend becoming an Electrician. Work is cleaner, pay is the same, and that knowledge could allow you to do many other ancillary jobs.

quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Go electrician. As soon as you finish your apprentice start your own business.

Yep. My buddy is an electrician, pulls in six figures while often working half days, and has so much work offered to him he has to turn much of it away.

I keep telling him that I chose the wrong profession.

Lots of old electricians retiring/dying, and not many young electricians coming up. (True of all the skilled trades.)

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Restaurant manager 15 years: check
transitioned to HVAC as part of the pipe fitters local in Atlanta: check

I worked with 2 types of pipe fitters, one that did outage work and 1 on the service side. If you were younger (guess on my part) I would say work the outage circuit for a few years. It is tough, dirty work but you can get a ton of hours in and bank some cash.

The service fitters I worked with were true artists. The level of quality in their work was outstanding.

However, the HVAC guys had their own contract. Better pay, better perks etc...

If you have any computer skills enhance them now. Take IT classes and learn everything you can learn about networks and IP stuff. A good tech with 4-5 years of commercial experience that is also computer literate can make big money. I sell to mechanical contractors all over the southeast. The number 1 thing I hear from them is "do you know anyone looking for a job?"

Most of the lead controls & automation techs I know working in the larger cities are bumping 100k working around 50 hours per week. They climb some ladders (inside, rarely on the roof) but spend most of their time on laptops. It is a good gig.

Good luck. The skills you will learn as a pipe fitter will help in many ways as you go through life.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Dad was a pipe fitter. By the time he retired, his back, shoulders and hips were wrecked.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe welding to be a handy skill for pipe fitters. I suggest welding alone. Work can be found anywhere in the world.

Downside? It can be dirty work, dangerous work.

Upside? You can get into high end TIG work and do medical and/or nuclear work. Very well paid, the “elite” of the welding crowd. Can also contract out for work and/or start your own business. Welding stainless and aluminum can also be specialty(well paid) work. The high end work is often safer than general welding.

Like some risk? Underwater welding.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Learn to weld then get API certifications and become an inspector. The work pays more, is easier than fitting and is in demand and always will be.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a 68 year old retired pipe fitter. Believe me it’s a young mans work.Untill you have seniority apprentices work very hard especially on your hands.
Good luck
Wilbur

Posts: 8 | Location: Wake Forest & Emerald Isle N. C. | Registered: March 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I work HVAC/R, have for 22 years... I am a little biased.

Draw to HVAC/R for me was:
I will always have employment opportunities, anywhere.
HVAC does a little of most of the trades, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, welding, computer knowledge is critical.
Some commercial systems can only be fixed with laptops.
You can specialize in an area, ie Commercial, Residential, Boilers, Chillers, Computer Rooms, Vehicle(aircraft, Heavy Equipment, marine, trains,or small vehicles)Building Management Sytems etc. Or do a little of all of them...
Mom and pop business, Big business, Union, Government... Wide open opportunities.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, go the electrician route.

When I was a much younger man I mentioned to my stepdad that I was considering pipe fitting as a career choice. He suggested electrician instead. He said it was much easier carrying around a piece of wire than a piece or pipe. Obviously this is an over simplification, but you get them meaning.

I became a journeyman electrician but left that trade after a few years. But not because I didn't enjoy the work, something better came along.

Something to think about (and I have no idea of your age), as you get older it will become harder and harder on your body. Some will say the physical work will help you stay healthy and younger longer. And that's a valid statement. But I would much prefer to have job that is easy physically and choose my form of exercise, rather than my work be my exercise.

Good luck in your adventure.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Due to the advice of the forum, I’m definitely considering going the route of electrician more than I had previously. I’m nearing 40 and have some back/hip/shoulder pain if I don’t keep up with staying in shape. Plus, I feel like there would be more options for side jobs or to do more work around my home by myself.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electrical work can be very physical depending on the type of task . Pulling cable , running conduit , climbing ladders and scaffolding etc. Weather can play a big part as well . Big difference between residential and commercial / industrial work .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I vote electrician. Similar pay. Less wear and tear on the body.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Don't know where in SE Michigan you are but Ferris St has probably the premier 2 year HVAC program in the country.

As far as I know, they have the only 4 year HVAC program that gets you an actual degree.

Last time I went up there to interview applicants, 100% of the 2 year students and 100% of the juniors and seniors in the 4 year program had jobs waiting on them.

The 4 year students apprentice during the summer between their junior and senior year. The only ones who don't accept jobs with that employer are ones who didn't like the company.

Pretty rare and they had multiple offers waiting as soon as they made their availability known.

All the big manufacturers and most of the larger mechanical contractors in the northern midwest keep in close touch with the instructors.

I evaluated 2 of their grads for a high end mechanical and they were fantastic.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post