SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    mice eating your car's underhood insulation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mice eating your car's underhood insulation? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
got a sudden recurrence of a previous problem:

rodents have been merrily nibbling on the under hood firewall insulation in my Sweet Bride's car... a 2015 Subaru Legacy, otherwise no complaint with it since bought new.

Parked outside, 3 years ago the Muncher Mob hit a largish portion of the middle of the firewall panel. This season, they went for the driver-side over-fender section.

This insulation sheet looks like some kind of molded-sheet waste paper-plastic composite topped by a bonded rubber molding. Parts about $60 & labor about a half hour at the dealer.

Seems spendy. And weird.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a surprising mouse problem this Fall. I started putting some mowers away for Winter in the shed, then get the snowblower out. While doing the deep dive, I see one mouse, he’s to fast for me.

I look around some, see droppings & a chewed rag. I freshened my poison & set the one trap I had. I caught a mouse then got more traps. I’m up to 7 or more so far. With 5 traps set I got two last night. Hopefully it will taper off soon.

Again, I have some preventative around, not near this area though. While buying the additional traps I met two others in the pest isle with similar mouse problems.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've used "mouse hotel" stuff indoors with good results; perhaps will be down at the hardware store soon myself

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a little gray tabby tomcat, Sammy, doing his best to eradicate mice around my home.

Mice have chewed insulation from underhood on my old Sport Trac, been doing that for years.

I have dog kennels next to my house, errant dog food kernels attract the mice, also snakes after the mice during summer.

One morning, Sammy had placed 7 mice on our front porch, I guess caught during the night.

He wasn't through, headed back toward the dog kennel area.

Mice are ravenous mini garbage disposal units.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I see this in peoples' cars all the time. If you have a decorative/sound-insulating cover on top of your engine, remove it periodically (most of them just press/snap into place) and check for nests.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
You can hang some mothballs in the engine compartment. Wrap some mothballs in a bandana find a safe place to hang it.

I hang some by both hood hinges to keep the critters away when leaving a car or truck parked for awhile.

Posts: 1663 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those little bastards chewed up and made a nest inside the air box of my dirtbike. I solved the problem by placing about a dozen traps baited with peanut butter in a circle around the bike and several more along the walls of my garage.
Mice have crap eye sight so they like to travel along walls. I killed quite a few of them over a couple weeks and the problem went away

Posts: 3392 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Just had this issue. Those little fuckfaces ate the window washer tubing. Had it fixed and the first night it was home, they ate the insulation, climbed inside the hollow section of the hood, and shit about a tube of BB’s in there. The first repairs were claimed on insurance. 0 deductible on comprehensive.
I have taken this seriously. It is war. Like full fledged war.

I have deployed the tomcat repellant spray. Some potpourri mice deterrent bags from Tractor supply. There are eight traps deployed around the tires nightly.

Next step is the some extruded metal strips backed with rubber that she’ll park on. Every other strip will be the common or the hot, 120v 20 amp, no GFI.

I’ll flip that breaker like it’s the end of the green mile.

Those little motherfuckers.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4366 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
apparently its a big problem

they switched a while back to soy-based insulation materials

https://www.caranddriver.com/n...ents-think-is-tasty/

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poison is the ONLY way. Here's what you need, next it will be your cars wiring instead of the insulation. Fastrac or Contrac poison, and the animal proof black plastic rodent boxes they sell to put them in

https://www.domyown.com/rat-poisonbait-c-21_133.html

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post